No announcement yet.

Washing machine quality.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have an older Samsung front loader. Junk.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      Bumping this thread to the top..... Time for a new washer and dryer. The 20 year old dryer part is no longer available and I'm not going to by a used version of it for it to fail tomorrow. I thought I could just go into Lowes or HD and find an old school type top load washer but they all have the high efficiency bull**** in some form or fashion.....and if they don't the agitator is weak as heck. The old school dryer with knobs still seems available, but I need something that will wash my big boy dirty clothes Not slush them around in a damp pile and call it clean.

Any suggestions? What is the old school new speed queen model folks are buying mentioned above? I'm not big on buying a used set off craiglist as you never know what you are going to get with these scammers these days and with my luck I'd accidentally buy what I'm trying to avoid without a good description....Any suggestions?
      I was in the same position about six months ago. I bought a Whirlpool washer and dryer when we moved into our new house in 2008.

>>Hold on, my husband just chimed in to say, in point of fact, that I did not buy the washer and dryer, HE did. He knows he’s right, he says, because he bought them for me for our anniversary. (He says this like he thinks I’m going to argue with him…I’m not, this is the same man who bought me an iron for my birthday one year.<<

Anyway, about six months ago, my dryer started acting up. I’d notice my clothes were still very wet before I began noticing that the dryer was actually shortening the drying cycle (in other words, a 50 minute cycle would count down to completion in, say, 25 minutes. Very strange.)

I called my appliance guy who told me that my timing(?) switch had gone out and replacement switches were no longer available. We ended up circumventing this switch which solved the timer/drying cycle problem, but now, when you open the door, the dryer no longer stops automatically, it just keeps going. Kinda funny. Unless you have toddlers around. Or cats, I’m told.

So I began a search for a new washer and dryer.

Like you, I have been disgusted with the cleaning efficacy of these new fangled HE washing machines (never mind the argument that any energy benefit gained by the reduction in water usage is surely offset by the fact that wash cycles require TWICE the time they used to), so I did some research and learned that ALL manufacturers of washing machines have discontinued “traditional” washing machines, EXCEPT Speed Queen. And of those that Speed Queen offers, your options are only two: 1) a stripped-down, no “bells and whistles,” machine that comes in white only, and 2) the kind the sell to laundromats.

Now, I don’t mind having a “Plain Jane, nothing fancy, totally UNsexy” washer and dryer sitting in my laundry room, but for those of you who don’t have wives as docile, compliant, and submissive as my husband does, I think the “Ugly Betty” of washing machines is going to be a hard sell in your house.

All levity aside, if anyone finds out there are other options besides the two Speed Queen options I was told about, please let us know.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
        I bought my first home last May and read this exact thread before shopping for washer/dryer. I had decided on an "old school" top load speed queen but two different stores steered me towards the comparable maytag due to SQ "not being what it used to."

Ended up with the commercial Washer and Dryer (gas). 1 year full warranty. Years 2-10 cover drive motor and drum. You can tell by listening to the washer that its got some power. I doubt it would have any issues washin' the gunk off your drawers

They've always got some sort of promotion going on. I paid around $850. I know most will complain but I'm hoping I, like you, wont be shopping for another for 20+ years.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Maytag-Comm...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I like this.... will look into thanks. Although it does looks like it has an impeller/ agitator combination like a lot of the HE units though. Hopefully it cleans well. Maybe I'm not seeing it right though.

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
        I was in the same position about six months ago. I bought a Whirlpool washer and dryer when we moved into our new house in 2008.

>>Hold on, my husband just chimed in to say, in point of fact, that I did not buy the washer and dryer, HE did. He knows he’s right, he says, because he bought them for me for our anniversary. (He says this like he thinks I’m going to argue with him…I’m not, this is the same man who bought me an iron for my birthday one year.<<

Anyway, about six months ago, my dryer started acting up. I’d notice my clothes were still very wet before I began noticing that the dryer was actually shortening the drying cycle (in other words, a 50 minute cycle would count down to completion in, say, 25 minutes. Very strange.)

I called my appliance guy who told me that my timing(?) switch had gone out and replacement switches were no longer available. We ended up circumventing this switch which solved the timer/drying cycle problem, but now, when you open the door, the dryer no longer stops automatically, it just keeps going. Kinda funny. Unless you have toddlers around. Or cats, I’m told.

So I began a search for a new washer and dryer.

Like you, I have been disgusted with the cleaning efficacy of these new fangled HE washing machines (never mind the argument that any energy benefit gained by the reduction in water usage is surely offset by the fact that wash cycles require TWICE the time they used to), so I did some research and learned that ALL manufacturers of washing machines have discontinued “traditional” washing machines, EXCEPT Speed Queen. And of those that Speed Queen offers, your options are only two: 1) a stripped-down, no “bells and whistles,” machine that comes in white only, and 2) the kind the sell to laundromats.

Now, I don’t mind having a “Plain Jane, nothing fancy, totally UNsexy” washer and dryer sitting in my laundry room, but for those of you who don’t have wives as docile, compliant, and submissive as my husband does, I think the “Ugly Betty” of washing machines is going to be a hard sell in your house.

All levity aside, if anyone finds out there are other options besides the two Speed Queen options I was told about, please let us know.

Ugly Betty is fine....It what we have had for 20+ years but a GE version. We just need clean clothes and a link to her.
        Last edited by Smart; 03-17-2022, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          I like this.... will look into thanks. Although it does looks like it has an impeller/ agitator combination like a lot of the HE units though. Hopefully it cleans well.

Ugly Betty is fine....It what we have had for 20+ years but a GE version. We just need clean clothes and a link to her.

I’m with you.

Besides, fewer electronics mean fewer digi-widgets to break down, I would assume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We love our SQ...

Comment

Low Tech...

Comment

Just picked up GE front load set, impressed so far. Reviews seem outstanding, and we run them daily having 2 kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                  We bought a pair months back and they are great.............
                  Yup. We love ours................
                  We love our SQ...
                  Johnny loves his SQ…

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                    Just picked up GE front load set, impressed so far. Reviews seem outstanding, and we run them daily having 2 kids.

link? I'm always down to look at a good review set.

Comment

My couple year old Maytags are questionable. I have to leave the washer unplugged between uses or it won’t work. I am guessing something to do with the board. Of course it started acting up a year and a half into owning it (just outside of the warranty period).

Comment

Go with a speed Queen there a tank.

Comment

Originally posted by bcmuzzy View Post

X2, industrial strength = no problems.

Comment

We have a brand-new in the box Whirlpool top loader with the agitator and has the full water option with a five year extended warranty sitting in my garage that’s for sale.
                            Wife HAD to have it and when started designing her laundry room she decided to keep her front loader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by bcmuzzy View Post

I see a lot of mentions of about SQ quality suffering recently. .. enough that it kinda concerns me.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                                My couple year old Maytags are questionable. I have to leave the washer unplugged between uses or it won’t work. I am guessing something to do with the board. Of course it started acting up a year and a half into owning it (just outside of the warranty period).

What Maytag unit? Commercial or Home Depot/ Lowes models ?

Comment

Working...
                                X