Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Sausage making help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    That’s pretty typical.. just rinse them well. Maybe even change the water after the first 30 minutes. I try to stay away from the academy off the shelf type “natural casings” though...they are tough to get real soft. I buy most of mine at www.sausagemaker.com

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
      The ones I bought weren’t dry either but they were packed in salt. Next batch I’ll wash them better and soak them longer.
      After soaking for 30 minutes to an hour, I take the small diameter snack stick horn and use it as a funnel when rinsing the inside of the casings. I fill the kitchen sink about a quarter full and let the casings snake around in the water. Drain some of the water as needed.

Comment

a little more time consuming but i usually run warm water through the inside of the casings and then soak them overnight. they come out super soft. I've had good luck with the Dewied hog casings from amazon.

Comment

I’ll try all suggestions.

Thanks!

Comment

We always double grind ours.

Mix the seasonings with the meat, then grind coarse.
            Mix a little more, then fine grind.
            We always add cold water on the second grind. helps keep the meat cool and keeps it from getting too sticky.

Also...turning your casings helps prevent tears when stuffing. Literally turn em inside out and put the smooth part on the inside.

Typical German recipe
            salt, black pepper, red pepper, garlic, salt petre.

Comment

Let the sausages hang dry before putting them in the smokehouse.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2473.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	24607693

First grind done. Need to add a bit of garlic, and red pepper flakes. Has a good flavor, but needs a bit more spice.

About to do the fine grind , the package

Used LEM hot breakfast spice.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                  [ATTACH]990212[/ATTACH]

First grind done. Need to add a bit of garlic, and red pepper flakes. Has a good flavor, but needs a bit more spice.

About to do the fine grind , the package

Used LEM hot breakfast spice.

Looking good.

Comment

Originally posted by waterspiderpd27 View Post
                    Let the sausages hang dry before putting them in the smokehouse.

I was told by someone else that putting them in the smoker dry would cause them to be tough. They were dry when I smoked them.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                      I was told by someone else that putting them in the smoker dry would cause them to be tough. They were dry when I smoked them.

I'm asssuming he's probably talking about cold smoking. We let ours hang on a rack before putting them in. Wet casings don't allow for the absorbtion of smoke as well as dry ones do. This is also why we cold smoke on low humidity days.
                      Last edited by Smart; 01-31-2020, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X