• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    lol

Lol

Here it is just before the dumpster.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
      Smoked it low and slow for 8 hours then finished it in the oven for about 2 hours. Took it out, tasted it, threw it in the dumpster still steaming. Never again.

I was about to send you this exact recipe

Comment

Smoked it low and slow for 8 hours then finished it in the oven for about 2 hours. Took it out, tasted it, threw it in the dumpster still steaming. Never again.
        I was expecting that answer.

Comment

Ok, I need a little advice. I pulled the sausage and put in cool water at 158 degrees. The sausage is very good but the casings are too tough. What did I do to make them tough?

Comment

Sausage making help please

Ok, I need a little advice. I pulled the sausage and put in cool water at 158 degrees. The sausage is very good but the casings are too tough. What did I do to make them tough?

Natural casings and how long did you soak them prior to stuffing ?

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              Natural casings and how long did you soak them prior to stuffing ?

Yes they are natural hog casings from LEM and I soaked them for 1 hour before stuffing.

Comment

A few things can cause the tough casing. Those LEM casings that are salted and dry have to be soaked a long time and flushed real good to get all of the salt out that can cause hardness. Also what was your smoking temp? To hot for to long can harden them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes they are natural hog casings from LEM and I soaked them for 1 hour before stuffing.

That should be long enough because the salt will make them hard......I have seen the packaged ones at like Academy take more than that though. The butchers ones are usually good to go after an hour.

We cold smoke so hardening due to smoking to temp is not an issue for us. Never dealt with it.

Comment

Originally posted by huntindude View Post
                    A few things can cause the tough casing. Those LEM casings that are salted and dry have to be soaked a long time and flushed real good to get all of the salt out that can cause hardness. Also what was your smoking temp? To hot for to long can harden them

I probably could have washed them better. I just basically rinsed them good then soaked them. I smoked them on about 140 for a couple of hours then up to about 200 for a couple more until they hit 160.

Comment

Originally posted by huntindude View Post

Thanks for the info.

I bought casing direct from LEM, they came “wet”.. i am gonna soak and rinse extra good now.

About to embark on my first trial run.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                        Thanks for the info.

I bought casing direct from LEM, they came “wet”.. i am gonna soak and rinse extra good now.

About to embark on my first trial run.

The ones I bought weren’t dry either but they were packed in salt. Next batch I’ll wash them better and soak them longer.

Comment

How tough are we talking? that may be normal and just tougher than your expectations...
                          I soak mine several hours before and run my finger through them a few times and rinse before stuffing. That may help!

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                            I’m going to be making about 100lbs of sausage and wieners this weekend. You’re welcome to come practice while I drink beer and make sure you’re doing it right.

I’m a great supervisor.
                            I like your style!

Comment

Sausage making help please

The ones I bought weren’t dry either but they were packed in salt. Next batch I’ll wash them better and soak them longer.

That’s pretty typical.. just rinse them well. Maybe even change the water after the first 30 minutes. I try to stay away from the academy off the shelf type “natural casings” though...they are tough to get real soft. I buy most of mine at www.sausagemaker.com
                              Last edited by Smart; 01-31-2020, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
                                How tough are we talking? that may be normal and just tougher than your expectations...
                                I soak mine several hours before and run my finger through them a few times and rinse before stuffing. That may help!

They aren’t crazy tough just tougher than I’m used to from the processor. I tried peeling the casing off one to eat it and it was near impossible to peel.

Comment

Working...
                                X