No announcement yet.

Stick Burner or Pellet Grill???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pellet gets my vote. I had a stick burner but bought a pit boss originally just to do like lweeknight meals and use to bridge the gap between the smoker and the gas grill. It didn’t take long before I threw the gas grill away and sold the stick burner just because the pit boss does it all so well. Using B&B pellets I get plenty of smoke flavor on anything. I have noticed that on briskets the depth of the smoke ring is not there compared to a stick burner but the taste still is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Big Green Egg or nothin!

Comment

I have a Yoder pellet grill, since buying it my ceramic grill has not been lit, about 8 months now.

Comment

Bought a Rec Tec 700. Sold the stick burner. No regrets yet.

Comment

I still don't understand the easy part. Using a real pit is not difficult at all. If the quality is lower as many have said yet you want "easy" just stop by the local bbq joint and buy some. Talk about easy and where I live it will be as good as doing it yourself on a real pit.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
              I still don't understand the easy part. Using a real pit is not difficult at all. If the quality is lower as many have said yet you want "easy" just stop by the local bbq joint and buy some. Talk about easy and where I live it will be as good as doing it yourself on a real pit.

In my case there are no good BBQ joints within 100 miles. I'm probably the exception.

Comment

I got both and pellet gets 80% use...mainly cause its set and almost forget..

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post

The quality i get from my Yoder is as good as anything around here, and it is very easy and convenient, I smoked two chickens this evening, turned it on and put the birds on, went out to the barn and did some work, came in for dinner 3 hours later, delicious.

Comment

Thanks for all the input.
                    It's hard for my tight arse to put down $700 to $1000 on the thin metal pellet grill.
                    But I bet with everyone's comments it would get used a whole lot more.

Seems to be the right way to go.

Comment

Build your own! I bought a lower end Camp Chef at Walmart on sale, removed the hopper assembly, and made it to work with my Oklahoma Joes stick burner. My fire box on the stick burner was burnt up. The donor camp chef makes a fine grill for the deer lease.

Comment

Pellet grills are awesome - about as closest thing you can get to "set it and forget it". The ONLY con I have with them is that you can't seem to get a real GOOD bark/smoke ring like you would with stick burners.

So if you want geuine bark and smoke ring, stick burners what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
                          I agree. Used a stick burner most of my life. Switched to pellet smoker and never looked back. It sure is nice not having to watch my temp all night like i used to. I probably use mine 2-3 times a week.
                          X2

Comment

Originally posted by Treehunter View Post
                            Pellet grills are awesome - about as closest thing you can get to "set it and forget it". The ONLY con I have with them is that you can't seem to get a real GOOD bark/smoke ring like you would with stick burners.

So if you want geuine bark and smoke ring, stick burners what you need.

This is the last brisket I did on my pellet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Lonewolf View Post
                              Thanks for all the input.
                              It's hard for my tight arse to put down $700 to $1000 on the thin metal pellet grill.
                              But I bet with everyone's comments it would get used a whole lot more.

Seems to be the right way to go.

No need to spend that much. You can get the pit boss 800 at academy for $500 everyday. Catch on sale and it’s $400

Comment

I ABSOLUTELY FRICKIN LOVE my Green Mountain Grill.

Comment

Working...
                                X