2020 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rladner View Post
    Having a problem with something eating my corn and tomatoes. Any idea what it is? Rat, squirrel???
    Had exact same thing happen to me last year and put out traps. I was pretty hot. Turned my garden into a minefield of traps. In fact had so many I am still finding some to this day. For me it turned out to be field mice and tree rats. Unfortunately the damage had already been done enough that I lost all my corn plants.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
      Been saving up my harvested chili pequin peppers. Put about 500 of them in the oven at 200 last night and dried em out. Ground them up to use as a seasoning and whoa nelly! They punch above their weight for sure.

How long you leave them in there? I’ve got plenty of chili pequins and I’m wanting to try this

Comment

Originally posted by Codypatt1 View Post
        How long you leave them in there? I’ve got plenty of chili pequins and I’m wanting to try this
        I talked to a guy that does this yesterday at our community garden and he puts them in their for 2 hours at 200.

Comment

Originally posted by Codypatt1 View Post

I did mine for an hour at 200, but most of them had been drying out for a couple weeks on a paper towel. Even the fresh peppers picked that day dried in an hour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Tomato types

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
            Need suggestion on tomato variety, we are not happy with the ones we planted this year.
            Look on page 7 at post #322 on this thread we talked about different tomatoes then.
            Early Girl has been my best plants this year.
            Last edited by Killer; 06-03-2020, 09:37 PM.

Comment

We planted both celebrity and early girls this year. The celebrity did great and the early girls pretty much sucked.

-john

Comment

Early Girls and Cherokee purples did great for me.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
                  We planted both celebrity and early girls this year. The celebrity did great and the early girls pretty much sucked.

-john

I have always had good luck with celebrities and early girls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                    Early Girls and Cherokee purples did great for me.
                    Purple Cherokee is the best fresh eating tomato in my opinion. Celebrities usually produce good numbers for me. Harvested 220 pounds from 22 plants so far this year. At least 150 pounds more still to go

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

I pulled my early girl up couple days ago . Giant plant with flowers but never set fruit??? Celebrity is doing well, along with Cherokee Purple but my best performer this year is a Parks improved whopper. First time I've grown one of them and it is loaded

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                        I pulled my early girl up couple days ago . Giant plant with flowers but never set fruit??? Celebrity is doing well, along with Cherokee Purple but my best performer this year is a Parks improved whopper. First time I've grown one of them and it is loaded
                        I pruned my early girl pretty heavily, though I started pruning too late. It got to be close to 8' tall before I started topping it. I pruned all of my indeterminate tomatoes this year and I think it helped them set fruit.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post

Next time instead of pulling up a non-producer that is blooming, pull one of the minor branches or suckers from the plant and use it to brush the flowers. This will pollinate them and cause them to set fruit. Done this many times and it almost always works if you shake the blossoms before they are completely mature and about to drop off... After the plant has set its third cluster near the main stem, pinch the top out of the plant... It will go bonkers setting fruit... Old man who used to be a tomato and watermellon truck farmer in Panola county showed me that trick 40 years ago... been doin' it ever since... My problem this year (and last year) too much dang water/rain to even get my mater plants to grow... It ain't lookin' good for em this year...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            Next time instead of pulling up a non-producer that is blooming, pull one of the minor branches or suckers from the plant and use it to brush the flowers. This will pollinate them and cause them to set fruit. Done this many times and it almost always works if you shake the blossoms before they are completely mature and about to drop off... After the plant has set its third cluster near the main stem, pinch the top out of the plant... It will go bonkers setting fruit... Old man who used to be a tomato and watermellon truck farmer in Panola county showed me that trick 40 years ago... been doin' it ever since... My problem this year (and last year) too much dang water/rain to even get my mater plants to grow... It ain't lookin' good for em this year...
                            Another trick is to use one of those vibrating tooth brushes. Bumble bees pollinate tomatoes with buzz pollination and that vibration closely mimics it. I was pretty surprised to see all the pollen come out of some of the blooms when I did this.

I had tons of blooms and poor pollination for my tomatoes at the house and tried several methods to get them to set fruit.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                              Been saving up my harvested chili pequin peppers. Put about 500 of them in the oven at 200 last night and dried em out. Ground them up to use as a seasoning and whoa nelly! They punch above their weight for sure.
                              I did the same thing with the same results! Waiting on mine to turn red for another batch!

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                                Another trick is to use one of those vibrating tooth brushes. Bumble bees pollinate tomatoes with buzz pollination and that vibration closely mimics it. I was pretty surprised to see all the pollen come out of some of the blooms when I did this.
                                Might try this with my wifes toothbrush..thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X