2020 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
    Yesterday's garden pictures. Planted some purple hulls in a new area to help get it in shape. These are a week old. Next picture going from closest to farther away is okra, cucumbers, cantalope, spaghetti squash, yellow squash, peppers, more peppers, tomatoes. More okra and black eye peas behind that. Spaghetti squash is about 12 inches long

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Do you have your spaghetti squash growing verticslly?
    This is my first year with spaghetti squash and it is taking up some space just growing in the ground.

Comment

Yes. And it is running everywhere also

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
        Pulled all onions yesterday. Quite a haul.
        That was a haul! With that many, are you giving away or storing for long term use? If storing do you have a method for keeping a long while?

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal View Post
          That was a haul! With that many, are you giving away or storing for long term use? If storing do you have a method for keeping a long while?
          Will use most of them in salsa. About 50 percent of my garden is giveaway, and we use the rest. Doesn’t make sense, but if your gonna plant, plant plenty. Never understood why everybody with a little space doesn’t grow a few vegetables.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
            Will use most of them in salsa. About 50 percent of my garden is giveaway, and we use the rest. Doesn’t make sense, but if your gonna plant, plant plenty. Never understood why everybody with a little space doesn’t grow a few vegetables.
            Rockey, how does one determine when it's time to pull onions??

Comment

If the onion bolts, in other words has a heavy stem with a head, it gets pulled. I let my onions stay in the ground until the stems fall over, unless it bolts first. When the majority of my onions are falling over, and I’ve already pulled the ones that have bolted, I pull all the rest. Now, that row is ready to plant my okra.

Comment

Today's Harvest...alot of sweet 100 cherry tomatoes, Cacuzza and crook neck squash and cucumbers. Not as big a haul as Joe H, but it'll eat.
                Attached Files

Comment

Any of you ever heard of leaf cutter bees? Apparently their entire reason of living is to pollinate, unlike honey bees that pollinate as a side when trying to collect pollin to take back to their hive.
                  These bees are very docile and won't sting because they don't have a need to protect the hive or a queen. They stay within 300 yards of their home so perfect for a garden and flower bed around the house.
                  They cocoon over winter and come out when temps are above 80. Got a shipment of 200 bees this past week, put up their house by the garden and they should "hatch" within 21 to 30 days. At the end of the season when it starts cooling off, this year's bees will have laid their eggs into the empty tubes and can be stored in the fridge till next spring.
                  Figured I would try them out. Also the kids will get to enjoy seeing them buzz around without me worrying that they are going to get stung.
                  House and 200 bees for $70 using GYG promo code to get 10% off. Got that from Growing Your Greens YouTube video he had on these bees.
                  www.midasbees.com
                  Last edited by No-Tox; 05-27-2020, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
                      Today's Harvest...alot of sweet 100 cherry tomatoes, Cacuzza and crook neck squash and cucumbers. Not as big a haul as Joe H, but it'll eat.
                      That is awesome. You will get tired of picking those tomatoes before long LOL

Comment

Never heard of leafcutter bees, but I'm relatively new. Do you like them so far?

Comment

This year I purchased a Cherry Tomato plant called "Sweet Millions" Its been hard to keep up with but providing enough cherry tomato's to where we have a daily amount + enough to turn into sauce and freeze every week. Question: Is this the same as the Sweet 100 you guys talk about?

Comment

I believe the sweet million is an improved hybrid variety of the sweet 100. More resistance to cracking and less susceptible to disease. But I've heard sweet 100 taste better. Can only attest to the sweet 100 taste. Let us know how the million taste.

Comment

Originally posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
                              I believe the sweet million is an improved hybrid variety of the sweet 100. More resistance to cracking and less susceptible to disease. But I've heard sweet 100 taste better. Can only attest to the sweet 100 taste. Let us know how the million taste.
                              They taste great....but I can only attest to the sweet million taste

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                                Never heard of leafcutter bees, but I'm relatively new. Do you like them so far?
                                Just put them up, so nothing happening just yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X