No announcement yet.

2020 Saltwater Fishing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen plenty deep draft boats around Matagorda. East bay can be a bit shallow but there are places to fish not requiring real skinny water boats. You just need to go slow and watched for pvc pipe sticking up that indicates reefs or shallow water. West bay is plenty deep for that boat.

Comment

Appreciate it guys, definitely plan on going slow and just easing into the areas for sure. Never thought about the trap lines, good call on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnBoy View Post
        Appreciate it guys, definitely plan on going slow and just easing into the areas for sure. Never thought about the trap lines, good call on that one.
        East bay is just about a free for all in a boat like that as long as you stay west of about oyster farm. Most shallow enough reefs are marked either with pipe or a decent mapping software.

Run the icw and into the bay and stay straight south for about 100 yards and you're golden

Surf may shape up early next week....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Can you fish a Skeeter in Matagorda? Sure, absolutely. Not a problem at all.

Can you stick a Skeeter in Matagorda and become the next edition of the Qualified Captain? Yep, sure can. There are plenty of reefs, mud flats and sand bars that you can stick that thing on. If you have a decent GPS and maps you shouldn't have a problem.

Comment

You should be able to fish most of the Galveston Bay complex with that boat, though I've only been in West Bay once so don't know it well. I fished all around East Galveston Bay and Trinity in a 20' Mako growing up.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
              Can you fish a Skeeter in Matagorda? Sure, absolutely. Not a problem at all.

Can you stick a Skeeter in Matagorda and become the next edition of the Qualified Captain? Yep, sure can. There are plenty of reefs, mud flats and sand bars that you can stick that thing on. If you have a decent GPS and maps you shouldn't have a problem.
              Funny you mentioned bass boats. I remember a Bass master event where some of the field ran from the sabine river across east bay and up into trinity... it can be done but I dang sure wont attempt it. LoL

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

You can run East bay, just be careful and take your time. Most the reefs are marked or stick out of the water and are not hard to see. Running inside the trap line is always a good move.

West bay is big and deep, and that diversion channel is sketchy as hail. I just follow Mexico when I go to west bay thru the diversion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We ran the diversion channel one time in a pure bay while pre fishing for a tournament...it wasnt until the tide dropped out the next day that we figured out how lucky we were to make it through there. Lol

Comment

So this is a stupid question to most I'm sure but I'm gonna ask any way.

We don't do a lot of bay fishing and when we do we normally get a guide or go to LA and fish with family friends and they have boats. So here's my question...is the water around Matagorda okay to run a skeeter center console in? Really anywhere from Matagorda to Galveston area i'd say but we just wanna try and catch a few specs and reds if possible. I have no need to run 80mph, putting along to not tear anything up is the plan.

Thanks for the help and advice, just don't want to tear my boat up or worse...end up on the TBH 2020 Saltwater Fishing Thread with a picture of the boat on a sand bar or worse oyster bed.

And for those that are asking the question right now...we have the center console because a family of 4 just doesn't fit in a bass boat too well.
                    My Dad's cousin has a 19.5' Skeeter & his son in law has a 22' Blue Wave. They only fish the east half of east bay (launch in Sargent) and don't have any issues. Google Earth and/or Google Maps are very helpful.

Comment

There are a couple of big sand bars in West Matty. More than one chap has spent the night on them waiting on the tides.... which is all good and fun until you run out of beer... ask me how I know....

The far South East End of East Matty can get skinner than Kate Moss on crack..... I've got myself in a bind there before and barely made it out with an SS classic.

Also lots of reefs in Christmas/ Bastrop Bay... lots. Get a good map card and be careful.

Comment

I wouldn’t waste my time with Matagorda, all the trout are in Galveston.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                          Another good bit of advice is to watch crab trap lines. Those crabbers know the bay better than anyone. You can always follow the lines, for the most part they're in channels or guts.
                          Those trap buoys and traps themselves give me so much confidence. As long as I can't see more than half the trap I know I'm good, and like you said they often show exactly where the drop offs and channels are.

Originally posted by El General View Post
                          You should be able to fish most of the Galveston Bay complex with that boat, though I've only been in West Bay once so don't know it well. I fished all around East Galveston Bay and Trinity in a 20' Mako growing up.
                          I'd recommend Galveston, got a buddy who runs a Skeeter out there.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                            I wouldn’t waste my time with Matagorda, all the trout are in Galveston.

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

East Matagorda Bay averages 5-6' deep. You can run any boat you like just about anywhere. The only issue is the small amount of areas you can't run one.

West Matagorda Bay is even deeper. You do not need a skinny water boat for those two bays at all. You just need an idea of the areas to not mess with. You can get in a bind in either bay but shouldn't have any issue if you have a good gps and map.

Comment

Doug, Glen and I fished - last week - Hynes Bay - San Antonio Bay & Espiritu Santo Bay. We mixed things up a lot and had a hell of a good time catching fish. We caught and released over 50-60 redfish alone. Had a limit of Specks and Black Drum and strung up freshwater Blue Catfish near the Guadalupe River delta. Specks and reds hit plastic and spoons, drum and redfish hit shrimp and Fishbites and the Blue cats hit shrimp. Two days, filled the box decently both days, covering various regions and using various fishing techniques.

Comment

Working...
                                X