Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people complain about the rising price of deer hunting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
    The real question we need to answer in this thread is-

What's up with the gas mileage on the new Ford Silverado?!?! I mean the rebellion blew up the death star and defeated the Klingons and drove the price of grapefruit down!!!
    Hahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
      Has deer breeding actually lowered the cost of anything?

I'm genuinely curious about that because I seriously doubt that is accurate, could be wrong though
      I'm just getting started on this thread and this might have been discussed further down but yes breeding has lowered the cost of high fence trophy considerably. HF places are everywhere now and most of them have plenty of 200-250" deer. I know of 2 places this year that were selling 250-260" deer for 7500. That was not happening 5-10 years ago. That was not happening 3 years ago. Supply is up prices are down.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
        Not sure how deer breeding has anything to do with the rising cost of low fence deer leases.

People charge more because they can make more. Not sure inflation has that much of an impact. Every year the price of the leases seems to go up because guys know someone will pay it. I don’t blame them. Some people do it for a living.

Also, I think more people are leasing land now than what they use to. I grew up on a Ranch outside of Llano. There’s always been a lot of hunters in the area, but there’s way more now. It seems like every property is leased for hunting. These old school ranchers are dying off and not being replaced. Their kids are figuring out they can make more money off leasing that property out for hunting than trying to raise cattle. They just want to make money like everyone else, so their practically just naming their price.
        Agree

Comment

Originally posted by JBJTX81 View Post
          I'm just getting started on this thread and this might have been discussed further down but yes breeding has lowered the cost of high fence trophy considerably. HF places are everywhere now and most of them have plenty of 200-250" deer. I know of 2 places this year that were selling 250-260" deer for 7500. That was not happening 5-10 years ago. That was not happening 3 years ago. Supply is up prices are down.
          Not true. I'm haven't gone down on my prices and still sell all the deer I want. I'm high fenced but don't have fake deer. There is a difference between high fence native deer and high fence kick and shoot fake deer. Lot's of people don't mind hunting high fenced ranches they just don't want to hunt fake deer.

Comment

Originally posted by RINCON View Post
            Is there any data that shows that deer breeding has definitively lowered the price to the consumer of big deer?
            My observation over the last 5 years says it has.

Comment

Originally posted by Scubasteveo View Post
              Just playing devils advocate here. If it rained for a week straight during the hunting season and got real sloppy, would you be willing to pro-rate the cost of that week of lost time for me? Essentially I am paying you for two months of time to be able to hunt. If you keep me from going one week, weekend or whatever, should I get some money back?

If I am paying that much for only two months of hunting, I **** sure want to be able to go regardless of weather.
              I wouldn't stop you from hunting if it got real wet, you could just walk everywhere you went on the place

Comment

You would put ANYTHING in your mouth if you would put Taco Bell in there. I started hunting in 1982, cost $350.00 for year round lease for the whole family. That was in Madison County low fence. I now own a Ranch in Edwards County that I love, so I don't have to lease anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Scubasteveo View Post
                  If I am already paying that much for only two months of time on your land, I would **** sure hate to be told I couldn't come on a weekend I had planned.

So if it is muddy for a week or a month I am expected to not come to the lease, and just let it go? Sure don't seem fair.

The way I look at most leases from people that run a ranching operation is deer leases are nothing but extra income. Am I correct? So if you know this is a working ranch I would expect the price to reflect fixing of roads as needed, not denying me days to be able to hunt without reimbursing me.

I guess I am spoiled from when I was on a lease in the mid to late 90's in Ozona and Bracketville. I think it was $1,200 per family and year round access. No restrictions on when we could come, just don't shoot the goats or cows, and have pens at the feeder.
                  I wouldn’t care if you walked, went horse back, or even used an ATV(for main roads only and with reason). With that said If your lease mates want me to up the lease prices to cover your indulgences every year that cool too. But I’m not taking a loss b/c you decided to be lazy.

If my roads are to wet, I’ll ride horse back if I need to check gaps, water, calves, etc

Comment

Originally posted by JBJTX81 View Post
                    Breeder-correct but not all HF has fake deer.

With that said beeders are also turning deer quicker now. Hard for them to sell the huge huge deer. So many are selling bulk of their deer to shoot at 2-3 years old(160-250), where as most ranch with native have to wait until 6.5+.
                    Last edited by Texans42; 01-03-2020, 08:22 AM.

Comment

If you didnt spend your money on deer huntin, youd spend it on sumthin else. Do what ya like. Spend what you can afford. May not be the best, but you can complain about it while you're in the woods or complain about it while you're sittin on the couch wishin you were in the woods.

Comment

Working...
                      X