Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people complain about the rising price of deer hunting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't afford one and can't find the other.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
      Never owned land I guess if you question why folks don’t want roads torn up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Just playing devils advocate here. If it rained for a week straight during the hunting season and got real sloppy, would you be willing to pro-rate the cost of that week of lost time for me? Essentially I am paying you for two months of time to be able to hunt. If you keep me from going one week, weekend or whatever, should I get some money back?

If I am paying that much for only two months of hunting, I **** sure want to be able to go regardless of weather.

Comment

Originally posted by J.B. View Post
        Let's look at the prices ----

Can someone list five of the top breed operations outfits and their price for a 170" deer and compare the same for five of the top native operations? Be curious to see the difference here to substantiate the discussion.
        It wouldn't even be remotely close.. Per trophy buck would win everytime..

One has no baring on the other as far as pricing goes.. Never has and never will.. One you are buying a "deer"? and the other you are leasing land by the acre to HUNT on.. 2 Completely different ways to spend money.. Much like growing a garden for produce vs running to HEB to bag it up..
        Last edited by PondPopper; 01-02-2020, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
          Technically if a hunter is buying guided Breeder or HF hunts they aren’t in the leasing pool, so technically breeder don’t contribute to the increase of LF lease costs, how can they if they are helping reduce the lease competition pool?
          Back in the day (mid to late 90's ) the breeders / deer farmers started the Trophy Buck craze. Tons of new mags and advertisements for these freakish bucks.

Within a couple years, everything was " Trophy" this or " Trophy " that. That all stemmed from the from the deer farmers. Trophy = higher prices.

Of course, that's just my opinion.....but I don't ever remember seeing "Trophy Deer Lease " in the classifieds or or chamber of commerce listings until after that.

Comment

I pay a minimum of $8,400 a year for my place, but it's mine. If and when I sell it I'll get my money back and then some. Someone who pays that for a lease just seems like throwing money in a hole.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
              I pay a minimum of $8,400 a year for my place, but it's mine. If and when I sell it I'll get my money back and then some. Someone who pays that for a lease just seems like throwing money in a hole.
              How much land do you have?

Comment

One of the most surprising areas that have increased to an insane point are the small leases. “South texas trophy whitetail lease”

135 acres, 5 guns at $3000 a gun.

Are people really that desperate?

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                  One of the most surprising areas that have increased to an insane point are the small leases. “South texas trophy whitetail lease”

135 acres, 5 guns at $3000 a gun.

Are people really that desperate?
                  And then they shoot every 2 year old buck they see [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                    Back in the day (mid to late 90's ) the breeders / deer farmers started the Trophy Buck craze. Tons of new mags and advertisements for these freakish bucks.

Within a couple years, everything was " Trophy" this or " Trophy " that. That all stemmed from the from the deer farmers. Trophy = higher prices.

Of course, that's just my opinion.....but I don't ever remember seeing "Trophy Deer Lease " in the classifieds or or chamber of commerce listings until after that.
                    Hunter numbers are dropping and access is going down, so prices have zero to do with trophy perception.

We had trophy deer since 1887, the minute Boone And Crockett scoring system was put into place to high light animals of optimal nutrition, age and genetics...

Deer management for trophy potential was well in place way before TTHA and Breeders,

Shrinking Quality Access is always the driving force in ALL types of lease prices (hunting, ag(cattle and crop), housing, etc

Comment

Land is a good investment, you can hunt on. People put a lot of money in a 401k, if it was put into land you would probably make more over your working years and have free hunting. As far as pricing the little guy out, I have heard that since the 60's.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                        Hunter numbers are dropping and access is going down, so prices have zero to do with trophy perception.

We had trophy deer since 1887, the minute Boone And Crockett scoring system was put into place to high light animals of optimal nutrition, age and genetics...

Deer management for trophy potential was well in place way before TTHA and Breeders,

Shrinking Quality Access is always the driving force in ALL types of lease prices (hunting, ag(cattle and crop), housing, etc
                        Whats the name of your deer farm?

Comment

[QUOTE=Traildust;14614646]How much land do you have?[/QU

the one I'm mentioning is only 40 ac, but have bucks between 120 and 150 on the place every year and the exotics outnumber the natives. I own other places but don't regularly hunt those.

Comment

I compare my total lease costs (about $5000 per year) to a vacation.

Comment

Originally posted by Scubasteveo View Post
                              Just playing devils advocate here. If it rained for a week straight during the hunting season and got real sloppy, would you be willing to pro-rate the cost of that week of lost time for me? Essentially I am paying you for two months of time to be able to hunt. If you keep me from going one week, weekend or whatever, should I get some money back?

If I am paying that much for only two months of hunting, I **** sure want to be able to go regardless of weather.

Yep leasing isn’t for you. You don’t get it and would definitely not last on anything long term.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                                Yep leasing isn’t for you. You don’t get it and would definitely not last on anything long term.

Yep.....and need to throw in the spottin time of the month too if the LO is a female. If you don't like all the bs / cs rules even though you paid for access.....just buy your own dam property

Comment

Working...
                                X