No announcement yet.

Snake Boot Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are the snake chaps covering the back of the leg as well as the front ?

Comment

Bumped into a rattler a few years back while blood trailing a deer. Like others have said, they are worth their weight in gold for keeping cactus and thorns out of your shins. I wear Goretex lined Chips.

Comment

I can only assume I had a snake strike my chips one night this past summer. Was stalking up on some hogs at night and felt a pop on my boot. Like somebody slapped my ankle. Never heard a rattle.

Comment

I prefer the chaps. Only reason is they come up higher and really help walking through brush.

Comment

I also like them for the brush more than anything. I've been close a couple times to rattle snakes, but never had one hit me. Only confirmed strike I had was a small snake while picking something up... Had he connected it would have been on my hand/wrist. I was way out of range, but only saw him because he struck at me.

Comment

I never have. But we live in very much rattlesnake country (some won't believe it but east Bell County has tons of snakes, killed 9 this past spring/summer)

I have gotten to where i wear my chipps more than any other foot in snake season. Just gives me piece of mind

Comment

Originally posted by PassnItOn View Post
                Likely headed south next year and advised to get the boots (which I will). But just curious, have any of you ever had a rattlesnake strike your boots?

I'm curious if any of these answers will affect your decision to buy and wear snake boots?

I've never been bit. I wear them though because I don't want to get bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentry Gayle View Post
                  I second this. I wear snake boots more for the brush than the snakes. The peace of mind is not a bad secondary bonus though! Those devils are rampant down south.

I wear the Chippewa moc-toe. The full leather boot looks much better than cordura IMO.

I have the same ones. They are the bomb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wear them almost all the time when I am at the ranch, which is 75% of the time. Since we started staying at the ranch 75% I am averaging killing 6 rattlers a year. I have never been struck by one but I did stomp the crap out of one that appeared between my feet one day while mowing with a brush mower. Somehow I managed to mow right over him with the brush mower without even nicking him. I wear chips and really need to get a new pair since I wear them so much. If I am working or going through a lot of thick brush, I wear snake chaps as well as snake boots.

Comment

I have only been hit one time by a prairie rattler ( got my shoe but no penetration) guiding pronghorn in valentine tx , wear chips now , chaps are way to hot and cumbersome for daily use

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                        If I were worried I'd buy snake chaps...your probably going to be wearing boots already.
                        You'd think. I caught this one in my tennis shoes.
                        I've always been a bit crazier than most.

Gary

Comment

I had one strike me on the front of my jeans. Missed my leg but there was venom on the pants and we were working. Didn't take but a few minutes of that venom just rubbing on my shin for it to start burning and I came out of them. Just getting on the skin was toxic to the skin.

Gary

Comment

Been trying to find a decent pair in my size is not easy. 14-15 wide is what i need so if anyone has some suggestions that would be great

Comment

Snake Boot Survey

Originally posted by marceco View Post
                              Are the snake chaps covering the back of the leg as well as the front ?

They do.
                              I went with Dan’s froglegs, which are sewn and sealed to the boot of your choice. He has brush chaps, snake proof chaps, waterproof, not waterproof... pick the brand boot you want, size, and which chap, and they send them out assembled.

I don’t wear the chaps for dry ground, but any time I’m kayaking or hiking into backwaters for hunting/scouting I’ve got them on.

Or, just order the chaps themselves and wear over whatever shoes you decide to wear that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by IkemanTX; 12-19-2019, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
                                Been trying to find a decent pair in my size is not easy. 14-15 wide is what i need so if anyone has some suggestions that would be great
                                https://snakeboots.com/chippewa/ Up to size 14D

Comment

Working...
                                X