No announcement yet.

GM 5.3L Vs. 6.2L...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now the odd ball is the Ram eco crazy great MPG and great tow specs as well not a GM i get it buy more of middle ground . Used one for a trip was impressed .

Comment

I have had 3 - 5.3 liter trucks. 1 in a CC Z71 ( 2015 model ) and one in a 16' and 18' Suburban and Tahoe.

It would pull my 20' bay boat pretty good down the road. It would pull my 16' Trailer with the CC Can Am on It ok. For some reason the Suburban Towed better than the Truck....it had highway gears but I would pull both the boat and the trailer better.

Its adequate for lighter loads but its not a tow vehicle.

Also, keep in mind to take with a grain of salt when people mention a truck and they say it pulls such and such " just fine ". Just fine is subject to a lot of interpretation.

Just fine to some people is going 70-75 down the road easy as the breeze while just fine to others is pulling it 55-60 half on the shoulder of the interstate pizzing everyone off for miles and miles behind them.

Comment

or just loose your mind and never worry what you hook to it ??

IMG_0708 by GMR Performance, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
          or just loose your mind and never worry what you hook to it ??

IMG_0708 by GMR Performance, on Flickr

I’ve already got a diesel, trying to get into cheaper maintenance and cheaper fuel for running down the interstate. Like I said in my OP it will pull a ranger from time to time but it won’t be hooked too it 24/7 and even then probably just for jobs in Texas or if it’s a long term gig out of state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

well have had both 5.3 and 6.2 to me the 5.3 is just a truck for light duty work . I loved the 5.3 for travel got ok MPG that is not top on my list at all but that is just me .

Towing a small trailer MPG is crap and it just plain lacked power went to the 6.2 loved it great pulling power but we up graded the RV and it then was lacking as well so there you have it . One truck to do it all .

Cost wise two trucks vs one ? its cheaper to have one truck

6.2 all the way for pulling . you will be happy

Comment

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
              I have a 2014 with 4" lift and 33" tires, 35" won't fit. It has a 6.5' bed with at least 800 lbs of tools in the toolbox and I get 16 mpg on mixed driving. I rarely drive straight interstate, I'm always going thru towns. The lift does hurt the MPG, I think it is because the front end is less aerodynamic than the factory stance.
              It's that, but mostly it's the increased rotating mass ie heavier tires. Not to mention the change in overall drive ratio, which can take you out of the engines most efficient torque curve, and if you don't correct the speedometer, your odometer is not reading mileage correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                Cost wise two trucks vs one ? its cheaper to have one truck

Maybeso but the dodge is almost paid off and only has 144,000 miles on it. With the flatbed it’s handy to have around the house for hauling hay and cattle. Main reason on getting a 1/2 ton for work it’s cheaper to buy a 1/2 ton then a 3/4 diesel every 4-5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  It's that, but mostly it's the increased rotating mass ie heavier tires. Not to mention the change in overall drive ratio, which can take you out of the engines most efficient torque curve, and if you don't correct the speedometer, your odometer is not reading mileage correctly.
                  I thought the same thing and argued with a couple of buddies about it. They both have 2 wheel drive trucks and just put a leveling kit on their trucks and lost 2-3 mpg with the same tires. You are correct about the speedometer and torque curve, the curve moves down and my speedometer is 2 mph off so mileage is off. I took in account of that once and figured out what my true mileage was and it wasn't enough of a difference to go thru the trouble of figuring it like that.

Comment

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
                    I thought the same thing and argued with a couple of buddies about it. They both have 2 wheel drive trucks and just put a leveling kit on their trucks and lost 2-3 mpg with the same tires. You are correct about the speedometer and torque curve, the curve moves down and my speedometer is 2 mph off so mileage is off. I took in account of that once and figured out what my true mileage was and it wasn't enough of a difference to go thru the trouble of figuring it like that.

The leveling kits makes them look good but it sticks that nose right square into the wind.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
                      The leveling kits makes them look good but it sticks that nose right square into the wind.

My truck is leveled and I didn't see a difference in mileage.

Comment

Fuel mileage just depends on who is driving. My truck is a 15' 6.2l and my wife has a 19' Denali with the 6.2. I get around 15 combined, sometimes worse and when she drives my truck it jumps to around 18 combined. The same story when I drive her Yukon; mileage drops immediately, and I really don't think I drive all that bad but the fuel burn numbers show a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                          I have a 5.3 now and HATE it! I will never own another wimpy engine like this. 6.2 is the way to go. Better to have a little extra than barely enough at times.
                          Buy a Range plug-in, I hated mine until I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post

And trashes the front end after 40-50k miles

Comment

Maybe I missed it, but aren't the 6.2L's paired with a 10 speed tranny and the 5.3 w/ a 6 speed? Also, when shopping for the wife's burban, I thought I noticed the 5.3's had a higher tow rating than the 6.2's.

Comment

GM 5.3L Vs. 6.2L...

Originally posted by Steves ATV View Post
                                Maybe I missed it, but aren't the 6.2L's paired with a 10 speed tranny and the 5.3 w/ a 6 speed? Also, when shopping for the wife's burban, I thought I noticed the 5.3's had a higher tow rating than the 6.2's.

Depending on the year model I’ve seen 6-8 speed trannys on the 5.3 and mainly 8-10 on the 6.2

Originally posted by Mambajeep View Post
                                And trashes the front end after 40-50k miles
                                That ain’t no lie but they don’t make a 2-3” lift kit, seems it jumps straight to 4 and up.

Comment

Working...
                                X