GM 5.3L Vs. 6.2L...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
    What’s the highway mileage looking like and what size tires y’all running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    stock 285/45/22s..dont know the exact height but they are taller than the 31s on my 05 wrangler. let me get back to you with the highway mpg

Comment

Originally posted by Anteloper View Post
      stock 285/45/22s..dont know the exact height but they are taller than the 31s on my 05 wrangler. let me get back to you with the highway mpg

285’s about a 33-34” tire I believe. I was wanting a 275-285 tire due to they’re easy to find and a leveling kit gives them enough room for what I’m doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
        285’s about a 33-34” tire I believe. I was wanting a 275-285 tire due to they’re easy to find and a leveling kit gives them enough room for what I’m doing.

285/45-22 is a 32x11.5. The 45 is your height ratio. The 285 is width ratio. A 285/55 would be your 34ish tire.

Comment

Ahhh gotcha

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
            Something was wrong with yours. I've hand calculated my 6.2 at 19.1 mpg this summer. Most of that was over 70mph, a lot of it 80 or more.
            Nothing wrong with mine. You are correct, I didn't qualify my 17 mpg. It was just daily to and from work going 60-65 mph. It's a truck, it's not supposed to get more than 10 mpg anyways, so anything above that is just icing on the cake.

Did your 19.1 involved filling up next to a highway, going directly on the highway, then driving for a long stretch, then filling back up immediately after getting off the highway, possibly with a tail wind? I find it very hard to believe that truck is getting a combined 19 mpg, considering I know people with the same motor in their Corvette only getting 21 mpg.

Comment

How is it some guys get 15 mpg city and 18-20 highway with their 6.2 and I am lucky to get 11-13 on highway with mine. That’s with wind at my back. Oh, pulling anything I see 8-9 mpg. Is it due to 4 inch lift & 35 tires?

Comment

Originally posted by taylormade820 View Post
                id get the 6.2.. because who ever said they have too much power?
                you show right!

My work truck has a 5.3 with 126k on it. Wifes truck has the 6.2 with 73k. The 5.3 isn't even on the same planet when you hit the go peddle!! And it sounds good with a bolt on exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by gatt40 View Post
                  How is it some guys get 15 mpg city and 18-20 highway with their 6.2 and I am lucky to get 11-13 on highway with mine. That’s with wind at my back. Oh, pulling anything I see 8-9 mpg. Is it due to 4 inch lift & 35 tires?

Yes...

I have 33s and can squeak out 16-17 if I keep my foot out of it on long trips. I've never seen 18+ but probably could with factory size everything. Suprised your towing MPG is that bad. My boat is probably 5500lbs and dragging it all over this summer averaged about 11-12.

Comment

What year is it, seems the ‘18 back had better mpg then his ‘19

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                      Nothing wrong with mine. You are correct, I didn't qualify my 17 mpg. It was just daily to and from work going 60-65 mph. It's a truck, it's not supposed to get more than 10 mpg anyways, so anything above that is just icing on the cake.

Did your 19.1 involved filling up next to a highway, going directly on the highway, then driving for a long stretch, then filling back up immediately after getting off the highway, possibly with a tail wind? I find it very hard to believe that truck is getting a combined 19 mpg, considering I know people with the same motor in their Corvette only getting 21 mpg.
                      It was all highway. I get 16-17 combined, 14ish all city.

No tail wind on the 19mpg. It was from Branson to home into a slight south wind.

Comment

I have a 2014 with 4" lift and 33" tires, 35" won't fit. It has a 6.5' bed with at least 800 lbs of tools in the toolbox and I get 16 mpg on mixed driving. I rarely drive straight interstate, I'm always going thru towns. The lift does hurt the MPG, I think it is because the front end is less aerodynamic than the factory stance.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                          It was all highway. I get 16-17 combined, 14ish all city.

No tail wind on the 19mpg. It was from Branson to home into a slight south wind.
                          That makes sense, you are in the same boat I was in then. Albeit with WAY more power! I wish I would have gotten the 6.2 when I bought that 5.3. With the 6.2, that half ton has to be a solid truck.

Comment

I had an '18 with a 5.3L/6spd and road tires that I drove for 26K miles before it was stolen. I got around 18.5-19 combined mpg (probably about 70/30 split town to highway). When I drove it on the highway with no traffic it was 20+mpg. Now I have a '19 with a 6.2L/10spd and all terrain ish (factory) tires and it does about 17 mpg with the same split (that's a mix of experimenting with regular and premium fuel).

The one thing I noticed from searching and driving both '18s and '19s the past couple years truck shopping was I was not a fan of the 8spd transmission especially with the 6.2L engine. Just something to consider depending on what year model you're considering. The '19s and up are mostly 5.3/8spd and 6.2/10spd. Previous was mostly 5.3/6spd and 6.2/8spd.

Comment

It’s ‘16

Comment

being I do this for a living . I would say if you are not over the top about MPG swap the gear ratio on the 5.3 and you will be shocked .

5.3 is not a tq monster by any means . I made the switch to ford this year . long story had them all but

for you the 6.2 is great I feel when towing and i sold me 5.3 it just not happy

Will it pull sure but its not happy and towing and fuel MPG are just never going to be great in a gas engine

Comment

Working...
                                X