Mountain Lions ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BDKeeling View Post
    Tell that to the gentleman just up the road from me that lost 29 sheep in one night that he was getting ready to take to the auction barn! Didn’t eat even one bite off of any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s because the cat was planning to come back and get them as needed to hide correct? Still a bad deal for the guy but they do not kill just to kill right?

Comment

Young cats will often do things like that.

Gary

Comment

Never dealt with a lion, but red fox will do that with kid goats when thet have pups old enough to travel with them. That's what a trapper told me one time when I had over twenty killed one night and not consumed.

Comment

I was bowhunting a river bottom in Montana with 2 brothers. The 1 brother arrowed a buck and we were looking for it, I can't see blood so I went and made some circles in the thick river bottom while they looked for blood. I had a place I had to crawl through a tunnel of grass and shrubs when I heard something, I saw 2 bear cubs ahead of me but they didn't see me, I froze knowing mama was close and I had a longbow with no way of shooting it. I slowly backed out, pretty nervous, I had no way to defend myself in there.
          So as soon as I can stand up I try to find a trail out of there and I scare something in the weeds in front of me and I hear it snarl and hear this loud crazy noise, I look up and it is a big lion climbing a tree to see what I was, then it came right back down into the brush. So now I have 3 bears, a cat and a wounded bloody deer in this mess and I am not feeling too happy about it.
          I turned out ok and we found the deer but it was a crazy 5 minutes!

Comment

Sometimes a female lion with cubs will kill every goat in the pen. Also know guys that have had if happen at water troughs. Pull up to check water and there’s dead goats everywhere. I’d be willing to bet that a lot of lion kills are credited to coyotes due to them having been scavenged by the time they are found.

Comment

Originally posted by Flint knapper View Post
              I got one on one of my trail camera's at a feeder in Archer Co. yesterday! He was watching 3 deer eat corn!

Let’s see this Archer county lion!

Comment

Originally posted by sboudreaux View Post
                That’s because the cat was planning to come back and get them as needed to hide correct? Still a bad deal for the guy but they do not kill just to kill right?

Have you ever watched a cat killing mice? As long as there are mice moving he will kill just on a reaction level.
                The only time a cat is coming back to a kill you will find it covered up, grass,leaves, dirt etc.

Comment

ttt

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                    Rare and shy are two different things
                    Ive never had one in trailcam, and I have over a million pictures of their food over the last 12 years.

That’s rare.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                      I meant rare as in rarely ever seen in Texas. Most hunters have never seen one at all.

So why would New Mexico and Colorado (other States?) control them making hunters by tags and only hunt during their season? I thought there were way more in those States versus Texas.
                      In CO and NM the highest success rates are via hounds. In TX There are only a few ranches big enough to sucessfully and effectively run hounds, and those ranches do run hounds.

Comment

Originally posted by sboudreaux View Post
                        Any alpha kills for opportunity. Doesn’t mean it’s always consumed/utilized

Comment

The first year Mason Mnt WMA was open to hunts, a buddy and I were drawn. A couple of the wildlife techs had just come off a lion study and they said people just wouldn't believe how many of them there were out there. He said they were just amazingly cryptic and rarely observed.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                            Ive never had one in trailcam, and I have over a million pictures of their food over the last 12 years.

That’s rare.
                            Coyotes eat deer, too. Out of thousands of pics we see maybe 5 pics of yotes at feeders in a year. We all know yotes aren't rare.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                              In CO and NM the highest success rates are via hounds. In TX There are only a few ranches big enough to sucessfully and effectively run hounds, and those ranches do run hounds.

The highest success rates come from trapping. By a large margin.

Comment

Originally posted by ACbob View Post
                                The first year Mason Mnt WMA was open to hunts, a buddy and I were drawn. A couple of the wildlife techs had just come off a lion study and they said people just wouldn't believe how many of them there were out there. He said they were just amazingly cryptic and rarely observed.

The little 3 male 2 female lion study I mentioned earlier on this thread. One of the females has 3 very healthy 15 month old cubs and the other female has 2 healthy 5 month old cubs.

Comment

Working...
                                X