No announcement yet.

Fence line etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not a huge fan of feeders within 50 yards of property lines but that's just a personal preference. I don't think it really becomes an issue until your shots have the potential to stray on neighboring property.

That being said, under no circumstances should the neighbor trespass and touch personal property. That's just ****ty.

I'd never move it closer just to irk the guy, that's super petty and does nothing for solving the problem. Call the guy and see what he has in mind for a reasonable distance. If it's moving the feeder 50 yards that's a pretty easy fix. It takes too much energy to stay mad... Sort it out and move on.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

We have neighbor that has no brush on his place till the back 30 yds or so. They have had a feeder 15 yds from the fence and the stand 40 yds from that quartering into our pasture. I don’t necessarily like it, but it’s their place and they can do what they want. On another note the neighbor that joins them is a target shooter and used to shoot a lot. Which is okay until the bullets started zinging over our heads in an oak Mott one day. Long story short, I was showing the GW what happened and he got to experience it first hand. GW visited the neighbor and he made some adjustments to his range. It’s all low fence, so just do what you have to do to keep it safe. They should NOT have trespassed.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        I would paint a big middle finger on the feeder facing that fence.
        Ding ding. We have a winner!!!

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
          I wouldn’t move the feeder. You lease every square inch of that land. My theory is this. Feeders inside fence 30yds plus and stands on fence hunting that feeder shooting into the property you lease. Now if feeder is on the fence and your stand is yards away shooting towards property line then I have a problem. As long as the projectile doesn’t cross property line then leave it how it is.

Whoever left that note needs an arse whoopin and a visit from the local GW!

Move it closer or leave it where it’s at and set up multiple cams in the area.
          This FIRST!
          Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          I would paint a big middle finger on the feeder facing that fence.
          This SECOND!!!

Comment

Looks like the paper is from an animal treatment record book. Handy books but an expensive piece of scrap paper to leave a note.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Comment

He shouldn’t be on your property, but the feeder shouldn’t be that close to the fence if there is a provision in the lease agreement for it to be further. Your land owner very well could’ve already talked to the neighbor about this issue, which is probably why he added the distance restriction to the lease. Now the land owner has to deal with a trespassing neighbor and a lease holder who’s not upholding the lease agreement, so yeah, I’m sure he’s not real happy right now.

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
                He shouldn’t be on your property, but the feeder shouldn’t be that close to the fence if there is a provision in the lease agreement for it to be further. Your land owner very well could’ve already talked to the neighbor about this issue, which is probably why he added the distance restriction to the lease. Now the land owner has to deal with a trespassing neighbor and a lease holder who’s not upholding the lease agreement, so yeah, I’m sure he’s not real happy right now.
                This is sounds reasonable and probably what happened

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                  Put yourself in his shoes..
                  How "bee hive pizzed" are ya'll going to be if he now puts one 20 feet from the fence, on his side? And don't say ya'll wont be either..
                  This is exactly how silly nonsense gets started but its great for the high fence builders..
                  Its much easier to just be respectful of each other..

Just because it legal doesn't mean its right..
                  Its his property. It might annoy me and I would talk with them if it’s a safety issue, but ultimately it’s their land.

Comment

Tough one

Comment

I know it’s not your place... But I think a couple dozen big “no trespassing” signs along that fence line are in order. Put them on trees or t-posts about a foot off his fence.

If I was a landowner, a trespassing neighbor vandalizing my paying hunter’s equipment would not be taken lightly.

Comment

Originally posted by alien_scones View Post
                        We have a hunter on our lease that has a deer feeder about 60 feet away from a property line / fence line. This feeder – well – several feeders over the years – has been in this location for over 6 years.

So today – said hunter found the attached note in the timer motor box, with the battery disconnected from the timer.

So yes we all at the lease are all bees nest hopping mad. The landowner was called and he of course is not happy. It has yet to be determined if he is upset with said hunter or trespassing neighbor. I suspect both.

What is the thought process for someone to cross fence lines, trespass and disable a feeder that is near but not on a fence line?

Does anyone recognize the paper form that the nextdoor.com like request is written on?

Yes we are all hopping mad but I want to think if all parties met at the same campfire and plenty of brews any disagreements could be easily and quickly settled.

I want to think if I was said donkey-hole in question I would have included my cellphone and email address in the note.

Here’s the suspense hook: There might be perp pics coming soon.

Disclosure: I myself had a feeder about 25 feet away from a fence line on the other side of the property - different neighbor/landowner. After reading several fence line etiquette posts here on TBH I eventually moved it away more than 100 yards away. But I’m a new guy still learning.

Also, for you TBH super-sleuths out there that can figure out the area that I’m talking about, just don’t. Please. I would like to keep the drama at a minimum.

update: we will be moving said feeder another 50 yards away from the fence line this weekend.

There seem to be contradictions here.

Comment

I’ve shot deer across my neighbors fence. They’ve shot deer across mine. In my opinion, it’s a strange thing to get bent out of shape over.

I find it far more strange (and sad) that people don’t KNOW their neighbors!

Comment

Originally posted by dbelcher269 View Post
                            I’d move it closer and put a lock on the motor. I’ve never understood the whole don’t hunt on a fence line deal. Rifles go 100’s or yards weather you are 60 yards or 200 yards away.
                            Its not his land and he has no say where the feeders are but he could high fence you out, its happened before.

Comment

Back in my younger days there would have been a mid week covert mission into the heart of their property to disable every feeder I knew of.

Nightvision surveillance will reveal camera locations with IR sensors

I own EVERY SQUARE INCH of my property and will hunt where I want. I will not shoot across a property lines and I will be respectful until you trespass and mess with my property

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                                Its his property. It might annoy me and I would talk with them if it’s a safety issue, but ultimately it’s their land.
                                You are correct but nothing good ever comes from hunters crowding boundary fence lines.. It never has and never will.. And it is NOT safe either.

Comment

Working...
                                X