Fence line etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShaBow View Post
    Just do the best you can with your situation while keeping the neighbors in mind while doing so with hopes they will do the same!
    Thats exactly what I do. My neighbors and I get along great at my 11 acre place. He has full permission. To jump my fence if for any reason he needs to.
    The problem is many many people on here dont think myself or anyone else should be allowed to hunt on our small places if you read their " must be 150 yards from the fence" stupidity.

Comment

Still trying to figure out if the person who wrote the note was the OP’s LO or the neighbor. Unclear and unknown.

Either way. It’s a mutual respect scenario. But if you want drama or need drama you’ll always find a way to bring it to the ranch.

Personally my place is for decompression with as little thought as possible.

One day I may have to track a deer on to another neighboring ranch. Would be a lot easier with the neighbors permission. And maybe help.

LOTB

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
        Have you decided if I'm allowed to hunt my 11 acres yet?
        Oh I didn't realize that you where waiting on my permission..

Comment

Thats exactly what I do. My neighbors and I get along great at my 11 acre place. He has full permission. To jump my fence if for any reason he needs to.
          The problem is many many people on here dont think myself or anyone else should be allowed to hunt on our small places if you read their " must be 150 yards from the fence" stupidity.
          I think the 100-150yds is a good rule to follow when possible but on hunting small tracts working together with neighbors is especially important to maximize the hunting potential for everyone for stand location reasons and from a management stand point as well. Sounds like you are already doing this and have a great relationship with your neighbor.

Comment

Yeah, I didn't understand why so defensive flywise as it's always been a general rule implied since I've been hunting...there are no absolutes & sounds like the communication to hunt fences was discussed on the front end & being very small properties you found a workable solution. This is how adults act, it's working for you & your neighbors so who cares what anyone thinks.

The issues lies & we see it every year in multiple threads with hunters being bad fence line neighbors, not communicating until the shouting starts & in general stealing the joy out of the hunting experience over something that is so easily avoided.

Comment

I'll admit I didn't have time to read all the comments, but....You lease the entire property and can hunt the entire property, as long as you are not shooting across a fence and you bullet will not travel across a fence, you are good to go..call the GW and let him take care of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Witchita View Post
                To be honest if I had a neighbor that had his feeder 60 feet from the property line I would turn that spot by the fence into my gut pile and trash dump. I dont know how big your property is so every situation is different but if theres plenty of land, and there usually is on most texas leases. I would move the feeder. Similar situation on my place except I am your neighbor and the fence line is now the gut pile.
                For the record, a pile of guts does not bother deer. (I can't believe I posted on this thread. Forgive me. )

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                  Oh I didn't realize that you where waiting on my permission..

Comment

Originally posted by ShaBow View Post
                    I think the 100-150yds is a good rule to follow when possible but on hunting small tracts working together with neighbors is especially important to maximize the hunting potential for everyone for stand location reasons and from a management stand point as well. Sounds like you are already doing this and have a great relationship with your neighbor.
                    Any tract of land regardless of size should not be an issue unless there is a safety concern....that point has been made a few times by a few of us. I even said if your neighbor has a feeder near a fence it should be used as an additional food source to hunt the deer coming and going.
                    That said, my self and others have been labeled as poachers, POS, and " Not raised right by our daddy's"

My whole point has been and in other threads through out the TBH membership people should not be minding their neighbors business unless their is a safety issue.
                    Thousands of times a year the statement is made " If its legal mind your own business" including by those who have called me the above names. So, why is using a fence as a tool wrong?
                    Anyway, I have a few stands on my fence line at the lease i rarely use. I have exactly 0 feeders on my lease( the half of the ranch i hunt ) my neighbor has a food plot on the fence....i am assuming his food source is fine but if i put up a feeder it is somehow different.

I just find the hypocrisy of some on this site to be a bit comical. Also, i just quoted you out of convenience...not because i have an issue with what you said

Comment

I've had friends set up an old blind on the other side of a fence where someone has put a feeder. So i'll take someone kindly placing a note on a feeder over that method.
                      Deer are not worth arguments and neighbor battles. Some day you may shoot a big buck and need to cross to their side to track it. Simply adjust feeder location to suit both parties. Don't listen to stubborn, hard headed individuals that look for confrontations and always want to be politically right.
                      Sometimes you have to use ethical judgement and concede.
                      Obviously your neighbor has no feeders on your fence line, so he would like the same.

Comment

Any tract of land regardless of size should not be an issue unless there is a safety concern....that point has been made a few times by a few of us. I even said if your neighbor has a feeder near a fence it should be used as an additional food source to hunt the deer coming and going.
                        That said, my self and others have been labeled as poachers, POS, and " Not raised right by our daddy's"

My whole point has been and in other threads through out the TBH membership people should not be minding their neighbors business unless their is a safety issue.
                        Thousands of times a year the statement is made " If its legal mind your own business" including by those who have called me the above names. So, why is using a fence as a tool wrong?
                        Anyway, I have a few stands on my fence line at the lease i rarely use. I have exactly 0 feeders on my lease( the half of the ranch i hunt ) my neighbor has a food plot on the fence....i am assuming his food source is fine but if i put up a feeder it is somehow different.

I just find the hypocrisy of some on this site to be a bit comical. Also, i just quoted you out of convenience...not because i have an issue with what you said

amen

Comment

If you owned property, would you want leasers hunting your fenceline. He should have been more diplomatic, sure. He should just highfence that part of his property

Comment

Working...
                          X