No announcement yet.

The big snakes roam at night!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had about a 3'er trying to climb my garage door last Tues. night, I guess he could feel the warm and wanted to get closer to it!

Comment

Scary

Comment

good one there

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowslinger1 View Post
          That snake may have ate the pig
          What he said!

Comment

This is right in line with a creepy lesson I learned about snakes just this past week. I was on a camp/hunt at Gene Howe WMA in Canadian, TX. Last Monday night/Tuesday morning the temp got down to an arctic 6 degrees. About a day and a half later, around noon Wednesday, I came across an 18" prairie rattler sprawled out under the sunny skies of a 60 degree day. I had always assumed that temps as low as single digits would keep the reptiles permanently underground until springtime! I'll never take off my snake boots again!

Comment

I always thought that cold would have them dormant. I guess not.

Comment

Don’t worry about the snake. The hog ate it.

Comment

What do those hogs do to kill em? Stomp them?

Comment

We killed 4 rattle snakes this weekend at our lease and one on the road on our way back home.
                    This warm weather has them moving!

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                      What do those hogs do to kill em? Stomp them?
                      They bite them and shake the crap out of them. Then eat them.

Comment

You don't have to worry about that one.

Hog ate good that night.

Comment

Cool picture!

Comment

Thanks for the pic John!

Got my first ratter on a Thanks Giving weekend back in 1984. It's my 3rd largest at 5-6". I had almost stepped on it that Sunday evening. Fell backwards trying not to. Then crab-crawled backwards on the ground trying to get away from it with rifle in one hand.

Edit: Looks like there might be a second set of eyes behind that hog's legs.
                            Last edited by Texas Grown; 11-24-2019, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sandbill View Post
                              This is right in line with a creepy lesson I learned about snakes just this past week. I was on a camp/hunt at Gene Howe WMA in Canadian, TX. Last Monday night/Tuesday morning the temp got down to an arctic 6 degrees. About a day and a half later, around noon Wednesday, I came across an 18" prairie rattler sprawled out under the sunny skies of a 60 degree day. I had always assumed that temps as low as single digits would keep the reptiles permanently underground until springtime! I'll never take off my snake boots again!
                              I've seen snakes out in every month of the year. It's been a few years but one morning we found one when we were pheasant huntin. There was still snow in places on the ground and it was 50 degrees outside. Believe it or not snakes can handle cold better than they can handle the heat. You could put one in the refrigerator in the morning and it'll still be alive that evening. Put one in a bucket when it's hot outside and it'll be dead and it won't take long.

There's a story behind the snake in the refrigerator. That's how I know that. One year I was putting snakes in a pillow case and freezing them because at the time I was selling them like that. Well I had snakes stacked up so high in my freezer I couldn't put anymore in it. So I figured I'd put one in the refrigerator before work and clear the freezer out when I got home from work and put him in it. So I get home and the pillow case ain't moving and he ain't buzzing so I dumped him on the floor and picked him up. I started moving frozen snakes around and he came back to life on me. I dropped him back in the sack and put him in with the others. That was the end of that.

Comment

Dad got a good one this afternoon. They'll be moving till January down south

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X