This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
    Who determines what shot is lethal and what isn’t? I can spend several hours watching frontal shots on YouTube that were very lethal.

That is a truism, I'm sure you can also spend several hours watching some that were not lethal. It also depends on the weapon, rifle/shotgun vs. bow. The best shot with a bow, arrow, broadhead is via the lungs/heart/liver, quartering away/broadside, not from the frontal area, it's not a bullet.
    Unfortunately you will not find many videos of non-lethal frontal shots on YouTube -if they aren’t lethal they have no animal to post videos and pics about. Very few hunting shows will post video of misses because Jon Q public doesn’t want to watch that

Not trying to be a butt just was wondering who determines what is and isn’t lethal

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
      You have on idea what this site is about and to start off by lying and bash someone because of a situation isn’t how we do it around here. The only reason you are stirring it up is because you hunt near the hag-lets just be honest
      Doesn’t matter where the dude hunts, crap shot no matter how you look at it

Comment

Enjoyed it and ain’t gonna get caught in the drama but I’ll leave with this:

If you can’t kill a deer with a frontal or quartering too shot @ “x” yards you have no business shooting at a turkey at “x” yards as it has a smaller kill zone.

We all learn from trial and error, that’s how we determine our limits. Anyone that says “I’d never________” just ain’t seen one big enough yet. Cause when it looks like a moose just a hair outside your comfort zone on public land where they ain’t inside a feeder pen and your leaving the next day, I’ll promise you the arrow is in flight the second the thought “ I might be able too...”

Comment

Originally posted by GoneSouth View Post
          Doesn’t matter where the dude hunts, crap shot no matter how you look at it
          The pic above proves not all frontal shots are crap shots

Comment

Who determines what shot is lethal and what isn’t? I can spend several hours watching frontal shots on YouTube that were very lethal.

Typically the animal determines if it’s lethal or not. Haha.
            To be clear I don’t blame him for shooting the deer. Heck I have a video on my YouTube page of a doe I shot at full frontal. He did state that it was quartering to and that is a lot less percentage shot that a straight on shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The pic above proves not all frontal shots are crap shots
              Nah...just most of them

Comment

You have no I dea what this site is about and to start off by lying and bash someone because of a situation isn’t how we do it around here. The only reason you are stirring it up is because you hunt near the hag-lets just be honest

Its not bashing its just an hinest reflection of what happened ... you need to be honest

Comment

Just gonna leave this here.

Comment

He didn't break a law of the state of Texas, or law/rule of Hagerman wildlife refuge by resuming his hunt for a buck. If they are ok with it, and he's ok with it, why does it matter to anyone else. It's been stated they're the "states deer" if that's not the case, it was on refuge property. Neither of those have an issue so who's anyone else to judge him. I agree frontal shots are not the best idea but, in the right spot they are very lethal. Just a lower percentage for a off spot hit.

Comment

Unfortunately you will not find many videos of non-lethal frontal shots on YouTube -if they aren’t lethal they have no animal to post videos and pics about. Very few hunting shows will post video of misses because Jon Q public doesn’t want to watch that

Not trying to be a butt just was wondering who determines what is and isn’t lethal
                      perow, I thought about that after I posted, you won't find any, and to my point, don't post about a bad shot, just gives the antis more ammo.

Comment

Man I hate to see this thread taking this kind of turn. Congrats to all who scored, and good job to those who gave it their all.

Lots of people.take lower percentage shots in high leverage situations. The difference here is that the shooter put it out there for all to see.

Until next year folks, keep shooting straight

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                          https://youtu.be/wrWYuh_s1RQ

I was thinking of the same video before you posted it, Matt!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                            Enjoyed it and ain’t gonna get caught in the drama but I’ll leave with this:

If you can’t kill a deer with a frontal or quartering too shot @ “x” yards you have no business shooting at a turkey at “x” yards as it has a smaller kill zone.

We all learn from trial and error, that’s how we determine our limits. Anyone that says “I’d never________” just ain’t seen one big enough yet. Cause when it looks like a moose just a hair outside your comfort zone on public land where they ain’t inside a feeder pen and your leaving the next day, I’ll promise you the arrow is in flight the second the thought “ I might be able too...”

Once again I’m not bashing him for taking the shot. Personally I wouldn’t go after another buck unless I had proof that the one I shot was alive and well. All the signs that were presented to me leads me to believe he may be dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                              So let’s say we are all on a lease together where you are allowed one buck. One of the hunters takes a very low percentage shot at a trophy but doesn’t find it. Before he is 100% sure that the buck is alive and well he says “Hey I crawled around for several hours and didn’t find him. He’s probably gonna live and I might not take a very low percentage shot again”.
                              Would y’all still be so encouraging and tell Drake and Grayson that the state owns the deer so mind your own business?
                              I wouldn’t blame Woodsman for trying for a golden ticket but unless I was 100% sure he was alive and well I wouldn’t pull the trigger on another buck.

It wouldn’t bother me at all. I’ve bow hunted long enough to know it will eventually happen. You give it your all to find it and then you start hunting again. I don’t have a mightier than thou mind set because I myself have been very humbled by bow hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                                https://youtu.be/wrWYuh_s1RQ

Ask woodsman how that shot went for him...

Comment

Working...
                                X