Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jump some ponds , no need to call.

Comment

Not trying to toot my own horn but I can blow a duck call. I guided for 6 years and the only reason I blew a duck call was because the people in The Blind wanted me to.

Comment

Thanks y'all for some great answers that give me several options to consider.
        Now I don't feel so bad about being a d a when it comes to calling.

But the reason I asked--got drawn for one of the Richland Creek post card duck hunts and I am getting pumped about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Miller View Post
          Thanks y'all for some great answers that give me several options to consider.
          Now I don't feel so bad about being a d a when it comes to calling.

But the reason I asked--got drawn for one of the Richland Creek post card duck hunts and I am getting pumped about it.
          We got drawn as well. Which dates?

I don't call much. Location, movement and concealment. If I do call it is short quacks and chuckle. If there not interested enough in my expertly crafted spread, screw 'em. They can go get shot by one of those undeserving slobs who can't tell a canvasback from a cormorant.

We have the hunt in Jan.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
            whistles
            This!

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
              Jump some ponds , no need to call.
              That's what I used to do when I was a kid. All the fun, none of the work and expense. I didn't need a trailer full of blind material and decoys. Didn't need to know how to call or to even own a call (I didn't). Didn't even need any fancy camo. All I needed was my 870 and a pocket full of shotgun shells. That was fun!

Comment

Yeah but you can’t beat a group setting their wings and rocking back and forth coming into your spread!

Comment

Leave the call at home and just use corn instead. 2-3 bags usually does It. Ducks love corn. Just don’t tell anybody where you’re going and don’t take your phone. Game wardens can GPS your spot if you take any pictures. ��

Comment

Lots of great advice on here. If you know where the ducks want to be and can set up there with good cover/concealment- that’s most of the battle. When I was totally consumed with duck hunting on public land- scouting was essential to success. Knowing exactly where they wanted to be is key. If you get to scout- see where they prefer to land in the unit you draw- especially after they are disturbed.

Get the wind at your back, set the decoys natural and use a whistle. Let the ducks work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The duck call was the best duck conservation tool ever created.

Get your water moving or your decoys moving. Jerkline, water mover, quiver magnet, pulsator etc etc.

I like to throw a goose decoy or two in my spreads sometimes solid black painted decoys. Something just to catch their attention and want to come in for a closer look.

Comment

Originally posted by blackfoot1 View Post
                        Leave the call at home and just use corn instead. 2-3 bags usually does It. Ducks love corn. Just don’t tell anybody where you’re going and don’t take your phone. Game wardens can GPS your spot if you take any pictures. ��
                        2-3 bags won't hold the birds.

Need about 1000lbs of corn. Shovel it our into the water. Should hold birds all season.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Focus on the feed call, and single quacks. Once you master the single clear quack, try to bring it to three quacks. Remember, you should only blow your call at ducks that are somewhat in range.

Also, you need to have a decent call. Go to a hunting show where they sell duck calls. They will have reps or guides there that can give you tips. Each call is a little different, and then you have hand positions.

Practice in your truck, not in the duck blind.

Comment

Oreo Decoy's

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                              Decoy movement.

But, scouting is going to be your #1 tool. Be where they want to be and you won't have to call.

$$ post

Comment

Originally posted by coach2 View Post
                                Not trying to toot my own horn but I can blow a duck call. I guided for 6 years and the only reason I blew a duck call was because the people in The Blind wanted me to.

Agree / disagree.

I guided about the same amount of time in Winnie. A good come back call will often bring back duck that we’re leaving but once they are working your best to just shut up and hide your face.

IF you can chuckle that doesn’t hurt anything but it’s overrated.

Comment

Working...
                                X