question for the duck hunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gander View Post
    Most importantly, you have to be where the ducks want to be. Unless you are running a giant "traffic" spread, you are rarely going to entice ducks that are high flying over into your spread. Try to liven up your decoys, put a mojo in to try and catch their eye, use a jerk string to put some motion in the decoys in the water. With that being said, you also have to be willingto pull the mojo if the ducks are reacting negatively to it. I would always less calling if it isn't being used properly.
    ^^^This^^^

If you are on the X where the birds want to be you won't need the call (or the decoys).

If you are hunting flooded timber kick your feet to create movement on the water. I've even done that in the marsh sitting in the decoys with good camo. The birds will see those ripples on the water further than they will hear your call.

If you can "trill" your tongue you can call ducks.
    Listen to birds on the water and you will mostly hear feeding chuckles, low quacks, and whistles. Being able to trill your tongue will allow you to execute all those sounds with a little practice. I use a soft feeding chuckle 90% of the time.

Comment

Yell at them in mandarin

Comment

Originally posted by AgBow25 View Post
        Legally?
        lol

Comment

Splashing, decoy movement, a little mud in the water. None of that hurts. Mojo decoy.
          The tongue movements for calling are for the words:
          'Ticket' used repeatedly for feeding chuckle
          'T-what' is used for single quack.
          Hard short burst for a comeback call.
          And yes mallards do whistle too.

Comment

Decoy movement.

But, scouting is going to be your #1 tool. Be where they want to be and you won't have to call.

Comment

Reminds me of a story. (Apparently this is a common prank among duck hunters but it was new to me.) I got invited by one of my wife's childhood friends to go duck hunting in the coastal marsh of Louisiana. I bought a call and a cassette tape and drove around for weeks practicing. We pole out to the blind and I start calling away. My host says "something does not sound quite right with that call, I think I need to pitch it for you" I handed it over thinking he was going to tune it or something. He pitched it all right, about 30 yards out into the marsh!

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                Decoy movement.

But, scouting is going to be your #1 tool. Be where they want to be and you won't have to call.

Couldn't agree more

Comment

Nothing worse than going with a guy that thinks he can call.

Wonder why they wont come into the spread? Geez

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                    Reminds me of a story. (Apparently this is a common prank among duck hunters but it was new to me.) I got invited by one of my wife's childhood friends to go duck hunting in the coastal marsh of Louisiana. I bought a call and a cassette tape and drove around for weeks practicing. We pole out to the blind and I start calling away. My host says "something does not sound quite right with that call, I think I need to pitch it for you" I handed it over thinking he was going to tune it or something. He pitched it all right, about 30 yards out into the marsh!
                    Yep most “ duck hunters “ think if they grow a long scragglier beard and buy a neck full calls they are now duck commando #1
                    When all they really need is a better pitch / shut up and wait for the birds to work

Comment

Originally posted by redfishted View Post
                      Jerk string, leave the call at home.
                      This! And make sure you're not shining in the sun with bare face or hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck-N-Rut View Post
                        Nothing worse than going with a guy that thinks he can call.

Wonder why they wont come into the spread? Geez
                        Two guys that can't call is worse...Way worse...

Comment

Get a gray duck call. (Gadwall) They are easy to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by b.latiolais View Post
                            Get a gray duck call. (Gadwall) They are easy to blow.
                            i do this and have a 4 in1 whistle

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                              Find a buddy that can call and take him hunting with you.
                              I am ready

Comment

I’m in the camp that thinks calling is vastly overrated and does more harm than good most of the time. I carry calls around my neck to feel like a real duck hunter but couldn’t tell you the last time I actually used them. Even on guided hunts I don’t notice the guide calling all that much.

Comment

Working...
                                X