Skiing Steamboat MusicFest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the replies so far.
    Any recs on a good hunting jacket that would fit the bill for skiing? I have the first lite Woodbury but I don’t think it would make a good ski jacket.

Comment

Check out steep & cheap for outer wear. Agree that you want 3 layers. Wicking base later, warm (fleece or other insulative later) and waterproof shell. Good gloves, and hat. And sunglasses, if it is sunny, it can be blinding on the mountain, especially skiing out of the shadows and into the sunny open.

I like to ski with a backpack too so I can shuck layers as needed and keep water and snacks on board

Comment

I’ll have to check out steepandcheap I’ve bought a few things from them in the past. Also need to do inventory on what I have that will work.

Comment

Wife and I went a couple years back, had a blast! Best show of the week was Chris Knight at the Chief Theater. Awesome venue!

Like Raider said, don't try to see every show. Pick the ones that are the most important to you, and get to them early enough to get in. Everything else, just let it go as it comes. We had a great time at a few parties in the Grand (there's kind of an unwritten rule at the Grand regarding open doors and parties too btw), even saw Flatland Calvary bust into a 5 song set in the hall for a lady that missed their show.

If you get in the mood for a good burger, check out Rusted Porch in town. We didn't eat on the mountain much, most of it seemed overpriced to me, but what we did eat was good.

As far as skiing, definitely go to ski school (or snowboard, whichever you prefer). The way it was described to us, skiing is easier to learn and harder to master whereas boarding is more difficult to get going with, but easier in the long run. You will be sore after your first attempt at either.

Go a day early and stay a day later. You'll get a chance to acclimatize yourself like Raider said and you'll have an opportunity to check out the area outside of the crowds. We rented show shoes, picked up a map and drove out of town a bit and had a blast hiking around. It's beautiful up there.

You're gonna enjoy it! We planned to go this year, but had some other priorities take precedence. Hopefully we'll make it next year.

Comment

hit up the hot springs. Awesome way to soothe aches and pains after skiing

Comment

Yeah, Strawberry Park hot springs is amazing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                Yeah, Strawberry Park hot springs is amazing.

Especially after dark

Comment

I have skied almost every place in Colorado and New Mexico and Steamboat is at the top of the list

Comment

Unless it's really cold, I wouldn't wear a bib. You'll get hot, sweat like a dog, then get really cold from being wet when you ride lifts. I generally ski in jeans or light pants, a turtle neck and a powder jacket (like a heavy windbreaker), and I often have to ditch the jacket. As a beginner, the most important thing is to keep dry, and that means waterproof stuff or spraying your jeans with scotch guard. The number one mistake that I see new skiers doing that makes them miserable is overdressing.

Comment

Lol at skiing in jeans. That's just bad advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                        Lol at skiing in jeans. That's just bad advice.

How often do you ski?

Comment

Never.

Avid snowboarder for 30 years. Been to 20 or more resorts. Get about 10-12 days in a year. My buddies are extreme terrain skiers. I ride with them.

Comment

Might look into renting Ski clothes.

Comment

Like others have said, acquiring all of your ski/board clothes and equipment can get very expensive. Just buy a little at time, borrow from buddies if you can, or wait until the end of each season and try to catch the sales. Good luck!

Comment

Academy has Magellan stuff at good prices.

Comment

Working...
                                X