Walking to blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 6.5CM View Post
    I park about 10 yards from my blind in a cut out of brush.

That’s how I hunt all 4 of my box stands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5CM View Post
      I park about 10 yards from my blind in a cut out of brush.
      Same here when rifle hunting, bow hunting about 100 meters
      My war wagon doubles as the feed wagon

Comment

The least amount of time on foot the better. I can drive my tractor to my stands and the deer run about 30 yds and watch but if I walk...ha...they are gone.

Comment

I’ve seen it done both ways, have done it both ways.
          For me personally I’d rather walk in. Usually trying to leave plenty of time for things to settle and not spook any deer if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by slicktricker View Post
            Just go have fun with your son and don't sweat the small stuff. Good luck to y'all.
            This right here. I rarely get to hunt with my son anymore due to distance and he's got his own life now. Enjoy your time with him!

Comment

The extra drive distance will not hurt a thing

Comment

I've done both, and have seen deer either way. If I'm alone and it's not hot, I like to walk in. If I have my wife or son, we use the 4 wheeler.

Comment

I use to walk in a long distance. I got a 4wheeler and was afraid I would spook deer because I drive around. First day with 4wheeler drove straight to blind to see deer 10 mins later.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m more of a walk a mile kinda guy...but clearly from the GS it doesn’t seem to matter...

Comment

I park right behind mine step off side by side two steps to ladder to my box never had any issues they look at it but continue on what they are doing had at least 10 deer last weekend bow hunting 20 yds from my box and atv every sit. I don’t even try to brush it in anymore

Comment

I think where you hunt matters in this discussion.. in the hill country where you rattle a bag and deer come running it won't matter.. East Texas where deer are heavily pressured and probably shot at off of a wheeler they spook.. mature bucks don't like being bumped out of their beds..

Comment

i have stepped from my 4 wheeler onto the ladder of my blind before and seen deer,,, i have had them come out of the woods while i was mowing in my yard and wait for me to move so they could get to the feeder,,,, same thing with the tractor it does not bother them,,, were it does make a difference is when they is very rarely any vehicle activity in that area, that can often spook them

Comment

One of the most successful hunters that I ever hunted with used his truck for a blind. He killed some big bucks from a Ford F 250. He would park on a lease road, and watch the road in front and out the side mirror.

Comment

I think in East Texas where I hunt it makes a difference. I park downwind and walk at least 200 yards for bow hunting. This is true for ATV’s. Even when I’m not hunting I try to avoid driving through where I hunt. I’ve seen the difference it makes in the number of deer I see.
                              Now if I could only convince a guy on my lease that it makes a difference and get him to stop taking the shorter route past my stands on the way to his, that would be great. He parks by his stand and says he sees deer all the time. Does, yearlings, and small bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
                                Biggest buck I ever shot, my buggy was parked 40 yds from my stand.

Not sure it really matters.

This... exactly. Last year I killed my biggest buck on November 8 just 10 minutes after I drove my 4 wheeler up to may parking spot 50 yards behind my blind. I walked the 50 yards, spun the feeder and barely got in the blind before he walked out following a doe.

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                                i have stepped from my 4 wheeler onto the ladder of my blind before and seen deer,,, i have had them come out of the woods while i was mowing in my yard and wait for me to move so they could get to the feeder,,,, same thing with the tractor it does not bother them,,, were it does make a difference is when they is very rarely any vehicle activity in that area, that can often spook them

Back in 2006, I broke my ankle a week before rifle season opened. I had NO choice but to drive up to the base of my ladder to park and use my 4 wheeler to climb up into my box blind all season and the deer never cared. Now that I don’t rifle hunt anymore, I’m not sure how the deer would react since I’m closer to my feeder but I have thought about creating a hidden spot to park my 4 wheeler closer to see what would happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X