No announcement yet.

Snow Skiing -Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those going to Colorado Christmas week there still appears to be a weaker storm coming in on Christmas Eve primarily targeting the south west mountains such as Wolf Creek with possibly 5"-10". Central and Northern mountains looking to get a dusting to maybe 4" or so. The weather pattern seems to be progressive with additional snow chances between Christmas and New Years!

Comment

Originally posted by Mtltx View Post
      We will be in Pagosa Springs during Christmas also. Any knowledge of how they enforce this new law? Is there an enforcemnt officer turning around vehicles that don’t meet the above mentioned criteria or what? We will be taking 3 different vehicles of people up the pass a day or two while we’re there and not sure if all tires will pass this code. The vehicle I’m driving will but, not sure of the others. Anyone with first hand knowledge of this?
      Same way they do the pass w/ a checkpoint. Just order a set of z chains and be done with it

Comment

How did all the ski trips go?
        We got home to Wyoming a day late with I-70 closure on Saturday. Lots of vehicles rolled and/or in the ditch when they got it open Sunday morning.
        We had lots of snow on the ground at our house and the wind made for interesting driving.

Word of advice, take it slower in eastern Colorado, they really patrol 287 in heavy travel times.
        If you end up in Limon, take a food break at South Side Food and Drink. The steaks and prime rib are excellent.

More snow coming for the mountains too in next few days.

Comment

All this snow means it will be a good whitewater rafting season as well. If y’all have never done it or been to the mountains in the summer you’re missing out

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
            How did all the ski trips go?
            We got home to Wyoming a day late with I-70 closure on Saturday. Lots of vehicles rolled and/or in the ditch when they got it open Sunday morning.
            We had lots of snow on the ground at our house and the wind made for interesting driving.

Word of advice, take it slower in eastern Colorado, they really patrol 287 in heavy travel times.
            If you end up in Limon, take a food break at South Side Food and Drink. The steaks and prime rib are excellent.

More snow coming for the mountains too in next few days.
            Fantastic! We got to Keystone late afternoon on Tuesday. It has snowed on and off each day. Temps and winds haven’t been bad. My son took to snowboarding like a fish to water. My 5 yr old loves skiing, but she is just as happy rolling around in the snow. New family tradition for us, I think!

Going sledding tomorrow at Frisco Adventure Park, then to Breck for a sleigh ride and dinner!

I’m worn out and my 40+ year old body is feeling it from runs the last 2 days

Comment

Went great for us too. 6 yr old picked up skiing quickly. First 3 days were nice then it got plenty cold. Single digits last couple days for highs with lows in the mid teens below zero. Skied a couple days when it was around -3.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                Fantastic! We got to Keystone late afternoon on Tuesday. It has snowed on and off each day. Temps and winds haven’t been bad. My son took to snowboarding like a fish to water. My 5 yr old loves skiing, but she is just as happy rolling around in the snow. New family tradition for us, I think!

Going sledding tomorrow at Frisco Adventure Park, then to Breck for a sleigh ride and dinner!

I’m worn out and my 40+ year old body is feeling it from runs the last 2 days
                How old is your son? My oldest wants to try snowboarding next year when we go. He's 10 now, this was his second year on skis. I only snowboard so I feel like I could help him, I'm just curious how long it will take him to pick it up. He picked up skiing in a day with a 2 hour private lesson

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s pooping snow up there now fellas, I am tired of dealing with the traffic and lift lines any more. Off the subject just a bit, but does any one ride a “ one wheel”. Looks like snowboarding kinda, only in nice weather, do it right out side your door, no lift lines, traffic, motels, gas, lift tickets, motels, travel time. But Yea, do they even compare ? Spendy but figure all the “ savings” of not needing all the above stuff, would pay for itself in short order.

Comment

Originally posted by fulldraw_529 View Post
                    How old is your son? My oldest wants to try snowboarding next year when we go. He's 10 now, this was his second year on skis. I only snowboard so I feel like I could help him, I'm just curious how long it will take him to pick it up. He picked up skiing in a day with a 2 hour private lesson

If he don’t mind getting slammed, as the learning curve is a little rough on yea compared to skiing. It took me about 4 trips before it all clicked and I could say “ I snow board”. Then it was epic, and you know why God made snow. And no it wasn’t for skiing, it was made to ride. Conditions are great right now, it’s been snowing good ( great) up there right now.

Comment

Originally posted by fulldraw_529 View Post

He is 11. He’s never experienced snow sports, this was his 1st time on the mountain. We took a 1/2 day private family lesson on Wednesday. He spent most the day Thurs in the discovery area learning on his own. At the end of the day we made a long 3.5 mile green run. He wiped out quite a few times but finished the run. Yesterday we made the same run with a slight variation and he ran it really well twice.

My wife also took snowboarding lessons. She was shakier, but was able to catch on. She also made the 3 mile run with us yesterday, just with more wipeouts.

I agree it isn’t like skiing as far as learning curve goes. You need 3 days to have any comfort level, and probably a couple of trips to feel proficient riding down the mountain.

Comment

I went from snowboarding 10yrs to skiing (yr1) this year...it feels alot more natural with my fall line centered forward and not sideways. Im not so scared of the drops with a centered fall line.

FYI...Vale resorts season epic pass is good for ALL Vale resorts...some 12 resorts between CO, UT and Canada...and elsewhere. Some days all I want or the kids want is one or two runs and done...it really is nice to not worry about burning a half or full day lift ticket cost.

Comment

Snowboarding is more difficult to get started. You're going to wipe out....sometimes really hard. After you get to the intermediate level they say it's easier to progress further than skiing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Just left Beaver Creek. 12 inches of fresh snow the last few days. Great conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The way the weather has been here so far this fall and winter the cool air is staying between the storms keeping the snow pack from melting off. Should be a great winter/spring to ski.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just got back from 4 days at Wolf Creek! Powder at the bowls INCREDIBLE!

Comment

Working...
                                X