Snow Skiing -Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Playa View Post
    I’m not concerned, I just don’t want to get half way and the state requires chains and I don’t have them. I’m super comfortable driving in slick conditions and CDOT is good at clearing roads. I will have 300 lbs of shingles plus luggage in the bed to assist with traction and my tires are only 4 months old.

We are staying in Pueblo the night before, & taking 287 N from there. If conditions are bad, we will change routes to I-70 and or get some cables locally
    You sure seem awful concerned.

Chains are not required or needed with your vehicle. Do they even make them large enough for 265's and up?

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
      You sure seem awful concerned.

Chains are not required or needed with your vehicle. Do they even make them large enough for 265's and up?

Passenger Vehicle Chain Law (Code 16)

During severe winter storms, CDOT will implement a Passenger Vehicle Chain Law (also known as a Code 16). This is the final safety measure before the highway is closed.

When the Passenger Vehicle Chain Law is in effect, every vehicle on the roadway must have chains or an alternative traction device (like AutoSock).

Comment

Odd. Never seen it enforced and like I said I have driven in white out blizzard conditions many times. It can't get any worse than our trip across Rabbit Ears Pass. The deputy was at the closing point. We pulled up. Can we make it? That's up to you he said if you wanna try. How long since anyone has been through. Over an hour. I'm closing it right now, you going or not? Screw it we're going. He never mentioned chains. We made it slowly but surely.

Comment

Both the GFS and Euro are showing a low pressure system coming into Colorado on or around the 24th or 25th. I sure hope it holds off until Christmas night. My flight lands in Denver at 1pm on the 25th
          Attached Files

Comment

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kdvr.co...is-season/amp/

Passenger Vehicle Chain Law (Code 16)

During severe winter storms, CDOT will implement a Passenger Vehicle Chain Law (also known as a Code 16). This is the final safety measure before the highway is closed.

When the Passenger Vehicle Chain Law is in effect, every vehicle on the roadway must have chains or an alternative traction device (like AutoSock).
            For on road use, cables will be good enough. That's what I would do.

I have chains for all 4 tires on my truck, but it was more for getting up into the mountains on the fire roads. 275/65/20. They work awesome. Feel like you can drive up a vertical wall.

Comment

Just curious, we'll be in Pagosa Springs a few days after christmas going up the mountain to Wolf Creek, will be in my wife's yukon 2wd with AT tires. Do I need to be considering snow chains or the like for our trip? Don't drive up in that country but a couple of times a year

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fulldraw_529 View Post
                Just curious, we'll be in Pagosa Springs a few days after christmas going up the mountain to Wolf Creek, will be in my wife's yukon 2wd with AT tires. Do I need to be considering snow chains or the like for our trip? Don't drive up in that country but a couple of times a year

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                This is from the Denver Fox affiliate as it pertains to the Colorado Traction Law:

Traction Law (Code 15)

During an active Traction Law , motorists must have either snow tires, tires with the mud/snow (M+S) designation, or a four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicle.

The legislation, which were put in place in August, are aimed at drivers using state highways during winter months. Specifically, it changed the required minimum tire tread for vehicles on snowy roads to 3/16 of an inch. Under the statute, minimum tire tread for dry roads is still 2/16 of an inch. Motorists can also install chains or an alternative traction device (like AutoSock) to be in compliance with the law if your tires aren’t adequate.

Comment

This is from the Denver Fox affiliate as it pertains to the Colorado Traction Law:

Traction Law (Code 15)

During an active Traction Law , motorists must have either snow tires, tires with the mud/snow (M+S) designation, or a four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicle.

The legislation, which were put in place in August, are aimed at drivers using state highways during winter months. Specifically, it changed the required minimum tire tread for vehicles on snowy roads to 3/16 of an inch. Under the statute, minimum tire tread for dry roads is still 2/16 of an inch. Motorists can also install chains or an alternative traction device (like AutoSock) to be in compliance with the law if your tires aren’t adequate.

We will be in Pagosa Springs during Christmas also. Any knowledge of how they enforce this new law? Is there an enforcemnt officer turning around vehicles that don’t meet the above mentioned criteria or what? We will be taking 3 different vehicles of people up the pass a day or two while we’re there and not sure if all tires will pass this code. The vehicle I’m driving will but, not sure of the others. Anyone with first hand knowledge of this?

Comment

Here is a weather blog from 9News in Denver that will be updated daily for those traveling in Colorado during Christmas week

Another winter storm is moving on the heels of the Christmas storm. This one will have impacts on the Front Range and northeast plains.

Comment

They usually have a spot designated for checking vehicles before going into harsh conditions. There will be people there selling and installing chains. Expect to pay a lot. LOL.

Comment

We arrive in Keystone on Monday, sure hope the forecast holds and we get snow on Christmas day.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoech View Post
                          We arrive in Keystone on Monday, sure hope the forecast holds and we get snow on Christmas day.
                          So do I, just hold off the heaviest stuff until the afternoon!

Comment

Originally posted by Shoech View Post
                            Originally posted by ateague11 View Post
                            So do I, just hold off the heaviest stuff until the afternoon!
                            so do we have a TBH meetup in keystone over a drink?

Comment

Originally posted by mfarmer View Post
                              so do we have a TBH meetup in keystone over a drink?
                              That would be cool. However have a feeling my family will have me busy the the whole time we are there

Comment

The main Keystone village by the Gondola is really nice. Plenty of bar and grills.

Comment

Working...
                                X