Can deer smell OFF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    OP, Couple of things... First and foremost, you need to check your Thermacell. If you had it on, and the little flame was burning and you had a fresh pad in it, you should not have had any mosquitoes around you after about 10-15 minutes if you had the thermacell slightly upwind of you, PERIOD! Gotta be something wrong with it.

Secondly, yes, deer and everything else in the woods can smell OFF and every other brand of DEET based mosquito repellant. DEET has a strong chemical smell itself that is rather offensive. The OFF and other brands put a perfume of sorts in their products to cover the putrid smell of the DEET. Before the thermacell came out, I always kept a rag tied around the ladder rung on my stand and every time I went to the area to sit, fill feeders, just pass by, whatever, I'd spray that rag down with OFF so the smell was always there... When I hunted the stand, I could use it without fear of them being spooked by it, and in reality it acted like a cover scent. ...not a bad strategy at all...
    Yes......

And brilliant.... 👍

Comment

If the skeeters are bad I run two thermacells, one on each side of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Get the Sportsman's formula. It's in a camo green can so you know its for hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
          Get the Sportsman's formula. It's in a camo green can so you know its for hunters.

[emoji15][emoji51]

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
            [emoji15][emoji51]

Just trying to help!

Comment

Permithrin! Look into it.

Comment

10 miles away

Comment

How fresh was the pad for the thermacell?

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                    How fresh was the pad for the thermacell?
                    New out of the box.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
                      Default Can deer smell OFF]
                      Yes and it alerts deer you're there.

I use only a Thermacell, I think it's heat causes the odor to rise above the deer. I also use a couple of drops of doe pee on the sent pad(just in case).

Comment

Can deer smell OFF?

OP, Couple of things... First and foremost, you need to check your Thermacell. If you had it on, and the little flame was burning and you had a fresh pad in it, you should not have had any mosquitoes around you after about 10-15 minutes if you had the thermacell slightly upwind of you, PERIOD! Gotta be something wrong with it.

Secondly, yes, deer and everything else in the woods can smell OFF and every other brand of DEET based mosquito repellant. DEET has a strong chemical smell itself that is rather offensive. The OFF and other brands put a perfume of sorts in their products to cover the putrid smell of the DEET. Before the thermacell came out, I always kept a rag tied around the ladder rung on my stand and every time I went to the area to sit, fill feeders, just pass by, whatever, I'd spray that rag down with OFF so the smell was always there... When I hunted the stand, I could use it without fear of them being spooked by it, and in reality it acted like a cover scent. ...not a bad strategy at all...

I’ve been eaten alive in full waders with 2 thermacell’s burning in a 16 foot aluminum boat and we burned through two cans of off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by Black Ice; 09-29-2019, 01:59 AM.

Comment

I've found Off doesn't work when the mosquitos are thick so I use Repell with 40% deet when duck hunting. Most Off is only 10% to 15% deet.

Comment

A deer can smell a flea fart through a burning house.

Comment

I am surprised the thermacell didn’t work. I’ve hunted in some swampy stuff where the first fifteen minutes felt like I was going to get carried away. After the thermacell ran for awhile the mosquitoes basically left me alone. It definitely takes time, but seemed to always help me.

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
                                I am surprised the thermacell didn’t work. I’ve hunted in some swampy stuff where the first fifteen minutes felt like I was going to get carried away. After the thermacell ran for awhile the mosquitoes basically left me alone. It definitely takes time, but seemed to always help me.
                                And yes they do work that good and that's exactly why I do not own one..
                                That chemical simply cannot be healthy to breath I don't care who you are.. Gotta be some health issues associated with breathing that crap..

Comment

Working...
                                X