Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Right handed, left eye dominant archery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it incorrect to shoot anything with both eyes open? I also don't know which eye I'm dominant with, but I am right handed and shoot all weapons with both eyes open...

maybe i've been doing it wrong this whole time...

Comment

Originally posted by JTRichardson View Post
      is it incorrect to shoot anything with both eyes open? I also don't know which eye I'm dominant with, but I am right handed and shoot all weapons with both eyes open...

maybe i've been doing it wrong this whole time...
      From what I understand both open is the best or correct way.

Comment

My son is right handed and left eye dominant. Caught it when he was five. He shoots left handed now. Can’t hit a baseball left handed though. Weird how things work out.

Comment

I am right handed left eye dominant. I close my left eye for rifle and archery. I spent 6 years in the marines and did some training with a green beret with the same issue. He showed me to shoot a handgun with both eyes open. You need to keep both eyes open for close quarters combat to not allow yourself to get tunnel vision.

Comment

This post really answered a lot of questions I had about my 7 yr old boy. He is naturally right handed when he throws, bats, kicks and what not. But I noticed when he was pretending to shoot a bow the other day he was doing it left handed so I handed him my right handed bow and just let him pretend to shoot it and he grabbed it left handed and was using his left eye. Throughout the day I would tell him "show me how you shoot a bow" and he would draw back left handed and close his right eye.... now the tricky part is hand him a rifle and it is all right handed and right eyed. And when making him peek through his hands he shows to be left eye dominant. I guess it is whatever comes naturally. I will continue to see if he is consistent with his left side when shooting his air bow for now before I make the decision on what he needs. Either way Ive got a 10 yr old who is a lefty so we can always put stuff to use around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
              Gotcha. That is definitely a problem. But patches are the new sexy

AAAAARrrrrrrrrrgh!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                I'm right handed, left eye dominant. I close my left eye and shoot with my right. Didn't realize it was a handicap.
                Me too, Me either....thought I was normal!

Comment

My dad lost most sight in right eye in WWII...So he shot left...I am right handed and right dom....But when He taught me it was left handed..He never thought about it and I was too young to know or ????..

Once I was old enough to realize it I was hooked..So I decided to correct it and I did..So I can shoot right or left ...with pistol or long gun...But if its a quick shot I still go l LEFT (automatically)without thinking...as for Bow and or Sling shot its still Left..but I can do it right just not so accurate and comfortable as left...

I do use L eye and left shoulder and R eye for right shoulder

Comment

Im right handed but left eye dominant but have always closed my left eye. I've tried shooting with both eyes open and it wasn't a pretty thing to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
                      I noticed when my son was little and learning to shoot a BB gun, he would hold the gun right handed and look down the sights with his left eye. I tried to get him to hold the gun left handed, but it was too awkward for him. I just had him close his left eye and he could shoot fine right handed. Fast forward to last year, I bought him a right handed bow, and he shoots it well. This year (freshman 14 yo), he's taking an outdoor activities class. They're starting archery and his teacher is setting him up with a left handed bow, since he's left eye dominant. He hasn't said how it feels or how it's going and he didn't tell the teacher he already shoots a bow right handed. Should I have him ask the teacher to change him to a right handed bow, or let him try the left handed?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
                      ...so how did it turn out? He qualify for the Olympics?
                      Last edited by lovemylegacy; 01-27-2020, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Left eye dominant. Play pool and shoot a rifle left handed. And switch hit a baseball. Throw right handed, shoot a bow right and a pistol. I’ve just adjusted to it. I may have wish I switched as my vision goes with age [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm left eye dominant and learned to shoot a right handed bow left handed.... I'm buying a compound this year, and will switch over to a left handed bow. The lefty bow seems a little awkward when I've shot them, but I don't need to compensate my grip/forearm, and I can leave the quiver attached when shooting if I want. I think I will like the lefty better in the long run.

Comment

I'm left eye dominant but have always shot right handed. I used to shoot by just closing my left eye but I discovered a couple years ago that if I just take my contact out of my left eye that my "dominant eye" switches over to my right side and I no longer have to squint. My vision isn't too bad at -1.5 for my prescription but this helped me out a ton and I am able to keep my depth perception since I'm shooting with both eyes open.

I tried shooting left handed for a few days but it was just too entirely too unnatural for me.

Comment

Originally posted by asu-indian View Post
                              Wow some of the responses. You can't shoot right handed with both eyes open if you are left eye dominant. Why do you think so many people close their left eye when shooting?

Yes it is better to keep both eyes open when shooting a shotgun. But, if you are right handed and left eye dominant, you have two choices. 1) squint or close your left eye. 2) learn to shoot left handed.
                              Untrue. With practice you can train yourself to do exactly that. Not easy, but trust me, it can be done.

Comment

Me Too

Originally posted by sjaaaz View Post
                                I cant close my left eye without closing both.....I guess that is the handicap.

it was either use an eye patch (hecks no) or shoot lefty.
                                My father tried an eye patch on me, fail.
                                Good news is my strong hand/arm (right) is my leading hand when shooting, I like to think that makes me the marksman I am today.

Comment

Working...
                                X