No announcement yet.

Redfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

42" is the biggest we've landed. Guide once told me that a 40" was equivalent to a 180" deer. Not sure if that is accurate or not but he said they are special once they get that big.

Comment

I have only caught one that I would have mounted. It was about 17” and I counted 22 spots on one side. Didn’t count the other side but it was about the same. I was wade fishing so I just let it go didn’t get a pic.

Comment

50" is the biggest I have ever caught in the Bolivar surf.

Comment

45" in the surf, 33" in the marsh, 28.25" on the flyrod.

My baby boy has caught some dandies.

Comment

Originally posted by zhall View Post
            Let see it the replica.

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post

That turned out great

Comment

Originally posted by zhall View Post
                Thank y'all. I should have been more specific. When I said mounting, i was thinking along the line of a replica. I like the way they turn out. We shall see what happenes. This is the latest ive ever done any coastal fishing. Usually I'm turned fully towards hunting season, but its still plenty hot in Oct.
                Bulls usually start spawning in the surf about mid September and last into November. Rough water really gets them active.

The best day I ever had in the surf for the bulls was in late September. I was fishing with some friends at Jamaica beach when a storm came through with tornado warnings. Everyone packed up and left, but I decided I would rather ride it out than try to drive through the storm. Sky turned green, rain came down in buckets, wind kicked up, and the waves got big...but it only lasted about 30 minutes before the sun came back out. Waves were still over 4' but the water was clear and green. Got out of the truck and cast a fiddler crab into the second gut, and as soon as the bait hit the water the drag started screaming. I knew right away it was a big bull because I could see him clearly riding the wave as the sun lit up the clean green water and his coppery scales. It was the image that great wildlife artists strive to capture in their paintings but rarely do.

In a little over an hour I landed and released 7 bulls from 44" to 49" and never put a rod in a rod holder...immediate hookups every cast. One even grabbed the crab and took off before I could engage the reel, birdnesting the spool and popping the 40 lb. line. Luckily I had a few back up rods ready to go.

They were still biting when I quit fishing, but I was too worn out to fight any more.

As I placed the rod in the rod holder, I realized that I had drawn quite a crowd of spectators. One walked over and handed me an ice cold beer...probably the best tasting beer I ever enjoyed.

Comment

Caught a 40" on a large spoon wade fishing in Mansfield during early summer at early light.

Released it right then and glad I did. Never even lifted it from the water.

Also, I've never caught another Red even close to that.

Kept several 23-25" same morning. Shark or dolphin robbed those from my stringer.

Comment

A little over 43" CPR.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gary 43 inch red closeup tbh.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	24591941

Comment

I've caught a ton between 35-50 in poc during the run every year. They are a blast especially for new anglers. The only red I ever mounted was this 10.2lb 29" I caught in baffin. Picture doesn't do justice, but it was the prettiest red I had ever seen.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Customer caught a 53-1/4” CPR one inch of state record

Myself largest is 51”

I’ve spent A LOT of time in the POC jetties during Red October

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My buddy and I used to fish the sept/Oct run every year. We caught several over 50 each year prior to tpw issuing the oversize redfish tag. Once they allowed us the tag my buddy caught a 54" that held the state record for a few years. There is/was a replica at the Katy mills bass pro shops. We used 10-12' surf rods and fished from High island to McFadden beach. The one i had mounted was special and was not going to make it. Caught it on a light action 7' spinning rod and 10 pound braid. It was actually my crappie set up. 45" long and faught it for nearly an hour with it spooling me 3 times.

Comment

Here is a pic

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

42” on 12# test... no mount, maybe i should get a replica one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Here is one I caught years ago, it was 50"... the bigger they get the uglier they get. I personally wouldn't mount one over 42".
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X