Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Middle of north texas 3rd annual thread..second edition!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collin county welcome on this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan81 View Post
      Anyone see the benefit of feeding a 40% corn, 30% roasted soybean, 30% Record Rack nugget mix from a spin cast feeder after season? It shouldn’t clog up with that ratio. Now that I have a pen and won’t be feeding hogs, I may do that in the off season. No one feeds corn until August/September. No one else has a pen to keep hogs out either. Good idea or waste of time and money?

I’m reluctant to spend all the money on free choice protein as no one else on the place would be on board to help out with the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Do you "know" if your deer will eat the soybeans? My experience is that deer are very persnickety about roasted soybeans. Some love 'em, some won't touch them. I wouldn't put them out unless you know for sure the deer will eat them. Will Record Rack go though a spincast spinner? I like the idea, but i'd make sure before i spent money for nothing. Good luck.

Comment

Anyone see the benefit of feeding a 40% corn, 30% roasted soybean, 30% Record Rack nugget mix from a spin cast feeder after season? It shouldn’t clog up with that ratio. Now that I have a pen and won’t be feeding hogs, I may do that in the off season. No one feeds corn until August/September. No one else has a pen to keep hogs out either. Good idea or waste of time and money?

I’m reluctant to spend all the money on free choice protein as no one else on the place would be on board to help out with the cost.

Honestly the best thing to do is set up a free choice protein feeder beside your corn feeder . Mix a bag of corn in with your protein pellets to get the deer used to eating that protein still have your spin feeder throwing corn but just for about 3 sec . That way they will start eating that protein because they didn’t have enough on the ground to satisfy them . Start this in January and keep it going until September. You will have all the deer coming to your spot in no time if nobody else on the lease is doing it . Those bucks will start craving that protein I guarantee it . It will be well worth the extra money to feed it just during the off season.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
          Honestly the best thing to do is set up a free choice protein feeder beside your corn feeder . Mix a bag of corn in with your protein pellets to get the deer used to eating that protein still have your spin feeder throwing corn but just for about 3 sec . That way they will start eating that protein because they didn’t have enough on the ground to satisfy them . Start this in January and keep it going until September. You will have all the deer coming to your spot in no time if nobody else on the lease is doing it . Those bucks will start craving that protein I guarantee it . It will be well worth the extra money to feed it just during the off season.

I agree with all this. Our deer are picky too. They will run over the mule if the smell apple corn. We feed protein 3 years ago and they ate us out of $. Our population of deer is uncountable being next to the Wag and our other 20000 acre neighbor. We are discussing making two big central feed stations in the middle of our place after the season with protein and corn year around.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin. View Post
            Collin county welcome on this thread?
            Absolutely, pull up a chair. No facts here just fiction and legends

Comment

I'll transfer some pics and show you some bone from Baylor county. I think I might need a brief clinic on downloading pics. last time I tried it was challenging. why can't TBH make it user friendly? hey that's a thread for another day.

Comment

I feed a 16% protein from FMC in Graham and I swear it is deer crack, the only time they don't hog it is when the acorns are on the ground. I believe it is because of how fresh it is, they will eat 300#s in about 4 days and over 500#s a week if I could afford it. I an on the 3rd year of it and the mass they put on this year is unbelievable, I know some of it is because of the wet spring we had but the protein has really made an improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                  Do you "know" if your deer will eat the soybeans? My experience is that deer are very persnickety about roasted soybeans. Some love 'em, some won't touch them. I wouldn't put them out unless you know for sure the deer will eat them. Will Record Rack go though a spincast spinner? I like the idea, but i'd make sure before i spent money for nothing. Good luck.
                  Well to be honest I’ve been on this place 2 years and don’t know much about the deer. Until a month ago when I built my pen all I had done was make the hogs fat.

I’ve used protein pellets in a spincast before just not here. It worked for me. I try to keep the protein limited to 1/3 of the mix though.

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post

I’m having a hard time talking myself into spending the money it takes to keep protein out. Our place is about 750 ac with 8 hunters and 11 feeders. Too many hunters but thankfully we don’t have much pressure on the surrounding properties.

If we had less hunters or more land I would consider it. Call me selfish but i don’t want to do all the work and spend all the money for several others to benefit. I’m mainly wanting something for more attractants.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Moore View Post
                    I'll transfer some pics and show you some bone from Baylor county. I think I might need a brief clinic on downloading pics. last time I tried it was challenging. why can't TBH make it user friendly? hey that's a thread for another day.
                    If ya cant figure it out text me and I will get em up for ya.
                    9 oh 3- 7 uno 5 - 7 oh 7 8

Comment

Well to be honest I’ve been on this place 2 years and don’t know much about the deer. Until a month ago when I built my pen all I had done was make the hogs fat.

I’ve used protein pellets in a spincast before just not here. It worked for me. I try to keep the protein limited to 1/3 of the mix though.

I’m having a hard time talking myself into spending the money it takes to keep protein out. Our place is about 750 ac with 8 hunters and 11 feeders. Too many hunters but thankfully we don’t have much pressure on the surrounding properties.

If we had less hunters or more land I would consider it. Call me selfish but i don’t want to do all the work and spend all the money for several others to benefit. I’m mainly wanting something for more attractants.

Then I would mix rice bran with the corn and maybe put some sweet feed on the ground around your feeder but a lot of times the deer want eat that stuff off of the ground but will eat it out of a tube feeder . And if you want more deer in your area I would really consider putting protein out that’s probably one of the best attractions there is to a buck . Especially when they are searching for food . Just remember you will benefit from it too . And maybe try to talk a couple of your lease mates into feeding it too .

Comment

Middle of north texas 3rd annual thread..second edition!!

Montague County last week. Came out in the food plot about an hour before dark. I’ve seen this deer countless times over the summer in velvet at the feed pens. He broke off on his left side.

Last edited by Skinny; 11-18-2019, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Very nice. Looks like you scrambled his brains.

Comment

Way Ta Go Skinny. That dude has a big hammer head and body to match!
                            Nice Hoodie

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                              Very nice. Looks like you scrambled his brains.

I sure did. Lol.

Comment

Nice buck

Comment

Working...
                                X