Secrets to tenderize/season steak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    Salt will start to break down the enzymes in the meat and tenderize it prior to cooking, you don't even taste it as long as you don't get carried away.
    Most of the seasonings have too much for my taste. If I can taste the salt, there's too much.
    Originally posted by Smart View Post
    I bet your Long Johns is loaded with sodium..
    I'm sure it does. But you can't taste it after you drown it with malt vinegar.

Comment

Mustard.

Comment

Aging the meat is the answer. Beef or venison, aging=tender.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
          Get better beef steaks and don’t over cook your venison.

I don’t do anything to tenderize.
          This.

Buy good meat and don't cook it too fast or too much and there's not going to be a problem.
          As for seasonings, I have been known to very lightly sprinkle with Fiesta Uncle Chris's.

Comment

I like to age my meats in the refrigerator for 1-3 days, prior to cooking. For venison like deer, elk, moose I wash it real good and place in a bowl on the shelf. Rinse well prior to cooking. Most of the time just salt and pepper to taste after grilling.

Some marinades are fine, but remember not to use salt in the marinade. It does the same thing as salting a cape, and draws moisture out of the meat making it tough.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              Salt will start to break down the enzymes in the meat and tenderize it prior to cooking

Originally posted by Blank View Post
              remember not to use salt in the marinade. It does the same thing as salting a cape, and draws moisture out of the meat making it tough.

Wait what?

Comment

Originally posted by Blank View Post
                but remember not to use salt in the marinade. It does the same thing as salting a cape, and draws moisture out of the meat making it tough.
                From the folks at Popular Science...

"Salt does more than flavor a piece of meat; it also functions like a magnet for water. So when you salt a steak, it draws water to the surface of the meat, which in turn brings along proteins that help in developing a well-browned crust. Over time, the salt also works its way into meat, and where salt goes, water follows. The result? A well-salted steak doesn't just taste better; it also retains more moisture.

The simple key to all of this: give your salt time to do its thing. At least an hour, but preferably overnight, for maximum penetration and juiciness insurance. And go heavy with it; the meat can take it."

Comment

I use this thing on some of my venison, sirloin, jerky, skirt steak and even chicken (helps it absorb the marinade). It really helps tenderize but don’t over do it either.

Attached Files

Comment

The key is to cook a steak to a nice Medium.

Comment

Originally posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
                      I use this thing on some of my venison, sirloin, jerky, skirt steak and even chicken (helps it absorb the marinade). It really helps tenderize but don’t over do it either.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/jac...ildCatid=27502
                      Yep!!!^^^ works awesome. Got mine pretty cheap off amazon.

Comment

Uncle Chris & Allegro

Comment

I knew you would get beat up pretty good by the buy better steaks folks. Lol.
                          We use allegro hickory marinade. Pretty good on steak, pork, chicken and venison.

Comment

Why all this I buy better steaks than you? The guy just asked what other hunters do.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjohntex View Post
                              I knew you would get beat up pretty good by the buy better steaks folks. Lol.
                              We use allegro hickory marinade. Pretty good on steak, pork, chicken and venison.
                              I like Allegro or Moore's on chicken.

Comment

Malt liquor as a marinade.

Comment

Working...
                                X