Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many here started their own company?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TXHunter12 View Post
    Yes owning your own business has benefits but you are not your own boss. Very few businesses can just do what they want and not care. Your boss is your customer. The customer is not the easiest person to work for all the time.

There is pride in building things yourself and in providing employment for others.

In the end as an owner you have nobody else to blame but yourself.
    I've always been a firm believer in this!

Comment

started a small materials supply business for knifemaking a few years ago mainly to teach my kids about business/money and hopefully pay off some debt we had. My 8 y/o son(11 now) took $17 out of his piggy bank and that is literally what funded our startup so he's my business partner. We've grown slowly by reinvesting everything over and over again and sell a variety of materials now for knife making, pen turning, game calls, ring/jewlery makers etc. I still work a full-time job while my wife manages the daily operations until I can quit. I work every evening and weekend on the business so it is a little overwhelming at this point but hopefully pretty soon I can quit and do it full time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Worley View Post
        Wife loves it. I just do the books and some general maintenance. No hair for me
        We have looked seriously into buying a couple before, the numbers just weren't good at the time. And not sure I could deal with the drama!

Comment

Not really businesses but more of side hustles.

Just getting started doing PEMF therapy. Show cattle have been my biggest customers so far but I've done all sorts of show animals, polo horses, bucking stock, a few family pets, and even a couple of deer.

I also detail aircraft. Mostly interiors but I'll do whatever it takes.
          Last edited by WT; 08-22-2019, 11:54 AM.

Comment

22yrs ago left the police force and started a commercial and residential fence company. Still have it along with a Used car lot.

Comment

Started out with a taxidermy/wildlife services business have whittled off taxidermy completely and services has morphed into wildlife removal/ predator control !

Comment

I got tired of working for guys that knew less than I did about what we were doing and cared even less. I started my own dirt moving business with $5K in the bank and good credit. The first year was scary but after that it eased a little. I sold out after about 12 years and started consulting in the construction end of the oilfield. Best move I ever made !

I’m gonna add this edit: Without my wife, I would never had the guts to take the debt on. Anyone who thinks about starting up a business better make sure that his/her spouse is totally on board.
                Last edited by Drycreek3189; 08-22-2019, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Not quite a business yet because it doesn’t really turn a profit but I tie custom flies. Enough to pay for materials and tools and cover stuff for myself. Took about 9 months off while moving and going to get back going again next month. Will start doing production flies and just started making landing nets so once I get those patterns dialed in they’ll be in the mix.

Just had my first interview for a consulting customer yesterday, would love to start doing that full time and make a real business from it

Comment

I owned a pressure washing business for a few years which I sold. I'm currently starting a new company in the HR space, our focus is on compliance and culture.

Comment

Have a start up with a construction site camera business. We offer time lapse and live viewing along with some other options.

Comment

Started my own martial arts school in 1992. Still at it

Comment

I went out on my own three years ago and has been great. Commercial General Contractor in Austin area.

Comment

After 29 years of being a "rich owner" LMAO....my business partner and I sold out.
                            Not near as much stress nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                              After 29 years of being a "rich owner" LMAO....my business partner and I sold out.
                              Not near as much stress nowadays.

Congratulations, sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m a serial entrepreneur. I took over the family business about 20 years ago and grew it. That growth afforded me the opportunity to start some other businesses. I’ve since started several business, sold a few and closed one down for non-performance. I just love the excitement and thrill of a new venture, but really appreciate the old solid ones too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X