Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motorcycle - Debating a purchase, what's your opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As quoted on the side of Kuykendahl rd around 2004 by a senior traffic investigator while working a fatal motor cycle wreck.

"The difference between wearing a helmet or not above 55 mph is a closed or open casket"

The rider had done nothing wrong, probably wasn't even speeding by much. A lady didn't see him and made a left hand turn in front of him. He struck the passenger front tire and did a superman into the ditch. I arrived maybe 2 minutes after the crash and talked to the guy. He seemed OK still the helicopter landed

Comment

I've rode a lot and had four different bikes over the years. I ended up getting out of it when we had kids. We just didn't use the bike enough anymore to keep the battery charged up. Had several friends who either died or experienced injury. I will not own another bike. There just isn't any mystery there for me. I've done the cross country tours, Sturgis, rally after rally, and most of the out of the way bars in Texas. I drive in Austin traffic and everyday someone does something idiotic. I've always thought smoking was an apt analogy to riding motorcycles. We know its dangerous and, if we do it long enough, the odds are not in our favor.

Comment

I have a customer who lost 5 friends in his motorcycle club in 1 year. He ended up selling his motorcycle

Comment

Keep in mind that there are 2 types of motorcycle riders...

Those that have crashed....and those that will

IF you are good with that, up your insurance and have at it...

I cant do it in Houston...too many cell phones on the roads

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
            We take a "risk" every time we get in a vehicle to commute to work or choose a greasy cheeseburger instead of a salad at dinner. I don't have the stats but I bet heart attacks and car wrecks have taken more Dads than motorcycles. .

Total numbers i bet you are right, percentages of death or major injuries, especially for minor wrecks, i bet you are way off.
            Last edited by RJH1; 08-19-2019, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Mike,

Don't start by trying to decide what bike to buy just yet. Start by taking the "Motorcycle Safety Foundation" Basic Rider Course. It is mandatory in Texas to get the motorcycle endorsement anyway. It is a good course even if you have experience and don't think you need any training.

It's a two day course and they provide the motorcycle and helmet all you need is a pair of boots, gloves and long sleeves that you probably already have. After you take the class you can decide for yourself if riding is right for you.

If you decide to continue then take your class certificate to DPS/DMV office and get your license. Unless, you know exactly what you want I would not recommend buying any particular motorcycle over another at this time because that is a personal decision that only you can make based on budget, riding style and personal preference.

I suggest that you get your license and buy some appropriate riding gear helmet, etc. and then go to Eagle Rider, or some other place that rents motorcycles. You can rent a variety of different bikes and get some experience on their machines while you decide what you like before you make a bad purchase decision because some dude on the internet that you never met said don't buy jap crap.

You don't sound like you want a bike for daily riding work and back etc. so you can use your 50+ years of life experience to make good decisions on when and where you are comfortable riding. If I'm leaving town, I prefer to get any early start before the traffic gets busy in the metro mess and I'm on the open highway by the time most are just waking up.

A lot of non-riders talk about it being too dangerous and they are correct in the fact that risk is involved. But everyday is a risk on some level I never ride scared, or afraid everyone is trying to kill me. I do ride very attentive and I try to anticipate the next move every driver around me is about to make. I do this even if I'm driving a car, or truck. You become a little more focused when you are on a bike without radios, text messaging, passengers talking and all of the other distractions car drivers have.

If you have always wanted to try it and you wife isn't going to divorce you for it I say go for it and maybe she should take the class with you even if she doesn't plan to ride. At least then she will have a more informed opinion and you will too. Who knows she may get the bug and then you will have a riding partner.

Comment

Do It. I am not one to tell anyone what not to do. I loved to ride my Honda VTX1300 Retro.

But I will say there are Distracted Drivers. 09 Jun 2017 was my Last Ride. 9 Days (5 ICU) in San Antonio Military Medical. Broken Clavicle, 8 Broken ribs, Busted Lung and all the pain and complications that come with it changed my life.

Comment

SO, I looked it up. Percent wise, you are about 22 times more likely to die in a motorcycle wreck than a car wreck when you look at the miles traveled section. I knew it would be higher, but d**m that is a lot higher. I know everything in life is a risk, but i would also tell people not to use meth, cause kinda like motorcycles, the risk is probably not worth the reward

Occupant Fatality Rates By Vehicle Type, 2007 And 2016

Fatality rate Motorcycles Light trucks Passenger cars
                  Per 100,000 registered vehicles 72.48 12.36 12.05
                  Per 100 million vehicle miles traveled 24.18 1.10 1.07
                  Per 100,000 registered vehicles 60.90 7.80 9.94
                  Per 100 million vehicle miles traveled 25.85 0.73 0.93
                  Percent change, 2007-2016
                  Per 100,000 registered vehicles -16.0% -36.9% -17.5%
                  Per 100 million vehicle miles traveled 6.9 -33.6 -13.1
                  Source: U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Comment

I’d get one and ride the **** out of it. Y’all think a lot more about stuff then I do. If it’s fun and I want to do it, I do it.

Comment

Cell phones and texting scared me out of riding anymore.

Comment

I understand the desire. last fall my FIL was willing to gift me his HD because he couldn't ride anymore. I've wanted a bike since I was a kid and finally wore my wife down that she said yes but, I didn't do it. I did like you, posted here for opinions /advice.

My life situation is different than yours but, the risks are still the same. After weighing all the options, I decided the risk wasn't worth it. Too many variables entirely out of your control.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                          Percent wise, you are about 22 times more likely to die in a motorcycle wreck than a car wreck when you look at the miles traveled section.

Occupant Fatality Rates By Vehicle Type, 2007 And 2016

Fatality rate Motorcycles trucks cars

Percent change, 2007-2016
                          Per 100,000 registered vehicles -16.0% -36.9% -17.5%
                          Per 100 million vehicle miles traveled 6.9 -33.6 -13.1
                          I made some cuts in this data table but here is something interesting, at least I think it is, or maybe I am reading it wrong? So in actuality, motorcycle deaths are down almost 17% per registration but is up almost 7% in the per mileage category. I take that as there are a lot more bikes registered but probably sitting in a garage collecting dust.

I take it as there are more owners that are not riding but those that are riding, the fatality rate has risen 7% over the last 11 years. That is interesting data. Thanks. Also, let me know if I am off on my analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                            I made some cuts in this data table but here is something interesting, at least I think it is, or maybe I am reading it wrong? So in actuality, motorcycle deaths are down almost 17% per registration but is up almost 7% in the per mileage category. I take that as there are a lot more bikes registered but probably sitting in a garage collecting dust.

I take it as there are more owners that are not riding but those that are riding, the fatality rate has risen 7% over the last 11 years. That is interesting data. Thanks. Also, let me know if I am off on my analysis.

Thanks for cleaning that up, and i think you are exactly correct.

Comment

Originally posted by texasair View Post
                              Cell phones and texting scared me out of riding anymore.
                              Or in my case Older folks that should not be driving any longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust
                                Go for it....you only live once.

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                                Right, but for how long?
                                This right here. I had a friend that rode all his life, he died 2 weeks ago on a HD at 58 in a road rage incident.

A bike will definitely increase your risk of death on the street/highway
                                over conventional vehicles. It's you choice.
                                Last edited by sendit; 08-19-2019, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X