Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motorcycle - Debating a purchase, what's your opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

been riding all my life with a few close calls but close calls can come with anything. now at 55 I still love riding my roadking but don't get to as much as I would like . be aware and alert think safety first . and go for it.

Comment

I was first on the scene(non emt just passing by) to a horrible bike wreck when a truck turned in front of a bike. The guy was on fire and doa. We didn't know, we drug him out of the road and away from the bike. A little later a guy tried to do chest compressions and his chest moved like jello. I nearly lost it and it made a lasting impression on me. No bikes for me.

Comment

It’s dangerous and not for everyone, but the kind of riding the OP was talking about is different than what we did for 8 hours or more a day, most rider either ride to and from work or weekend riders we were taught keep your head on a swivel don’t ride in the “pack of traffic if possible and boy did I love my air horn for the idiots that don’t see motorcycles, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been told by other riders“ I had to lay her down” we were taught to ride it gain control if possible and not “lay her down” the bike won’t need any help falling over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have ridden my whole life... I LOVE riding!! but it has just become too dangerous for me to justify it with my 2 daughters being a soph and 6th grader. Me and a coaching friend of mine took annual trips to colorado, Georgia, arkansas and all over texas and oklahoma, and did sturgis/black hills a few years ago. My riding partner was in an accident and was lucky to live, but he can no longer speak/communicate in any way because of the head trauma he sustained (aphasia). I sold my harley a couple months ago after it sat most of the past year in the garage and bought a smaller enduro bike to ride on the backroads around our small town. Way too many people not paying attention to the road or people around them for me to risk it anymore. I may feel differently when my girls are grown and on their own and doing well

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
            I love bikes and have had a few. I stopped riding when I became an Atlanta firefighter. I never went on a motorcycle accident call where a rider lived. Not one.
            We had a guy in Buckhead on a Friday night get hit while he was riding. Compound femur fracture.
            I was riding Rescue 15 and I stated that I finally had a biker in an accident that lived. A few hours later we saw the amberlamps crew on another call and they told me the rider died at the hospital with an embolism.

The last time I rode a bike I couldn't enjoy it because every driveway and cross street I was anticipating someone pulling out in front of me(or worse, taking a left across in front of me).

If you get away from traffic you have to be concerned with deer, dogs, pigs, ect and catastrophic mechanical failure.

I'll stick with old cars and trucks.
            I’ve been a paramedic for almost 20 years and have worked urban, rural and flight medicine...I wouldn’t even be able to begin to count the motorcycle accidents I’ve run where the cyclist was not at fault...some very sad fatalities or
            life altering injuries suffered riding and minding their own business. Can’t count how many times I’ve heard, “I didn’t even see the bike”!”

Couldn’t pay me enough to ride a motorcycle...

Comment

Go for it....you only live once.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                Go for it....you only live once.
                Right, but for how long?

Comment

I started riding about 12 yrs ago when the kids were teenagers. I have had some close calls but no accidents. Have to be very observant. I don’t think I could quit riding. Tried once and hated it. It isnt the safest thing to do but you only live once.

Rick

Comment

Have seen the devastation motorcycle crashes can do. Co worker was in a bad accident, I’m talking every bone on his right side was broke. He made it by the grace of god, but memory loss is a big issue and it’s like talking to someone hollow now. My brother has laid one over and walked away and had family Member killed. While life is too short, why make it shorter? Your family needs you!

Comment

I've witnessed too many gruesome highway motorcycle accidents to ever want to ride one again myself.

If you do, ALWAYS wear a helmet.

Wouldn't hurt to take out a big life insurance policy on yourself too.

Comment

I rode several years and started out with a personal bike (Yamaha 350). Then a dirt bike, then started the PD's bike unit with 3 Hardley Runs (HD). Dropped my bike a couple of times due to my own doing, but had several close calls. Riding a bike for transportation is nothing like enforcing laws on a bike. Those bikes were crap and we couldn't keep them running. I even had a couple of people stopped and the loping dog fell over twice. :O

I later got the bug again and bought a used Honda 1100 Twin-V. Best bike I've ever owned and fast if it had to be, not just loud. I was retired but working part time and found I spent more time putting stuff on the bike and jackets/gloves than I was riding it to and from work. I finally decided it was a fair weather deal and it sat more than it was ridden. Sold it several years ago and every now and then, I start thinking about getting another bike again. Then I come to my senses. I've had numerous close calls, worked several collisions (notice I didn't call them "accidents"). It was bad back then but traffic idiots have gotten so much worse with the cell phone and lack of self control regarding the laws.

If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider HD. I'd go with a Honda or BMW.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                          Man, I hate to pick on you but if he's married then it DOES matter what his wife thinks. It matters what his kids think, too.

Also, I like Hondas and Yamahas and think Harleys are over priced and over rated
                          True words! My wife has mandated I don’t ride motorcycles or other women. I’m cool with it! :-)

Comment

I sold mine and never looked back!

Comment

Never again for me. Riding a motorcycle on the interstates of Texas, and through the various cities along the way just to dangerous. I agreed to ride dirt/trail bikes for the motorcycle experience, and a convertible or Jeep for the road so my wife can enjoy too

Comment

Definitely the quickest way to organ donation

I wouldn’t

Comment

Working...
                                X