No announcement yet.

Picked up new truck and trailer today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great looking rig and set up. Anxious to follow along and hope you stay busier than you ever expected.

One of my concerns when pulling heavy trailers is getting it all shut down when something goes south, like a tire or a bearing or another driver doing something stupid. When I see a smaller car or suv pulling a huge camper I always wonder about the oh sh*t factor when they have a train wreck. It’s easy to pull stuff, shutting it down under control is the bigger issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar_HOYT View Post
      Great looking rig and set up. Anxious to follow along and hope you stay busier than you ever expected.

One of my concerns when pulling heavy trailers is getting it all shut down when something goes south, like a tire or a bearing or another driver doing something stupid. When I see a smaller car or suv pulling a huge camper I always wonder about the oh sh*t factor when they have a train wreck. It’s easy to pull stuff, shutting it down under control is the bigger issue.
      I agree 100%. The truck doesn’t have any issues at all pulling it. Getting it shut down at interstate speeds is another subject completely. Definitely have to keep some space between you and the idiot in front of you.

Comment

Congrats and PM sent

Comment

Got into a similar venture as you about 6 months ago. You’ll do fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin4D View Post
            Got into a similar venture as you about 6 months ago. You’ll do fine.
            @Runnin4D
            What do you use for advertising? Social media?

Comment

Pretty much word of mouth. My dad, who is in it as well, has a magnet sign on his truck that has produced a lot of inquiry.

Comment

Good luck. That Cat is sexy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  That’s wild that you gain zero on the steers. My dually would gain about 550 on the steers loaded heavy, which I liked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  That is a trip.

I have 4 scale tickets on my desk. Two with trailers/machines, one with just a heavy trailer and one just the truck.

The steers, are 5,360(truck only), 5,400(truck and trailer and 5,360 & 5,380 (truck/trailer/equipment).

Comment

Trevor73402, as a couple others have said, I think you are low on your rate. I do understand that you want to get your business off the ground.

I just had a thought that may help you. At your rate you can subcontract to other land clearing operations and even subcontract to graders and landscapers. Just spread the word to those guys and they can help you fill in your down time until you get rolling good.

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
                      Trevor73402, as a couple others have said, I think you are low on your rate. I do understand that you want to get your business off the ground.

I just had a thought that may help you. At your rate you can subcontract to other land clearing operations and even subcontract to graders and landscapers. Just spread the word to those guys and they can help you fill in your down time until you get rolling good.
                      I understand my rate is a little low. Most businesses in this area are $20-$30 higher per hour....or more. I just need to get some business and get my machine running. In a month or two, I’ll reevaluate my numbers and adjust accordingly.

I really appreciate all the support from this group.
                      Thank you,

Comment

I for one think this is amazing. I wish my stones were as big and heavy as yours. Congrats sir. Go out and make that money doing what you want all on your own.

Comment

Originally posted by TxSpinner View Post
                          I for one think this is amazing. I wish my stones were as big and heavy as yours. Congrats sir. Go out and make that money doing what you want all on your own.
                          I’ve always wanted to have my own business/be my own boss. I’ve been blessed to have some very good jobs since the time I left college. However, I’ve never been that good at “playing the company game”. I can be very opinionated, I always speak my mind, and I don’t just give respect to someone based on their title. As you may have guessed, this makes me a “hostile associate” in the eyes of upper management. I’m much better off working for myself. I’m much happier as well.

A few years ago, a friend and I decided to start a barbecue business. It was based out of a food truck/trailer. We went all in with cash only. No debt. We sold food on the weekends at various places around town. We were extremely successful from the very first day we setup. We started selling at 11am and we usually were sold out of food by 1pm. Always sold out of brisket. It was $19.99 per pound and they were lined up for it before we even opened. If any of you have ever tried to sell barbecue, you know there isn’t a lot of profit margin in it and the hours are LONG and endless. I would get up Friday morning and I usually would not go back to sleep until sometime Sunday evening. This was a passion of mine so I didn’t mind the work. It was so rewarding for me to know people wanted my brisket like that and would drive long distances just to get some. The business was based in Ardmore and my business partner lived in Dallas. The traveling back and forth and long hours eventually got to him and he decided he no longer wanted to be a part of it. I attempted to do it all on my own and managed to for a bit, but it was just simply too much for me to handle, even with the help of my amazing and beautiful girlfriend. So.....that turned out to be a bust.

A while back I had to take one of my vehicles to a local body shop to have a dent in my bumper fixed. It was around 10:30am. While I was inside getting some info, the owner pulled up out front in his new black corvette. Walked in wearing some khaki shorts and a t-shirt. He had spent the night on his house boat and was just getting into the office at that time. He walked in and told one of the guys there to take his car and to go get everyone some food and Starbucks. Right there, in that moment, I knew that I’d never be happy working for someone else the rest of my life (I never have been). I knew that I had to get off my *** and start thinking of something I could make happen on my own. I have a strong passion for cooking. Especially barbecue. But I knew that was never going to be possible to get off the ground with a one man operation. Plus all the health codes and inspections etc that I had already dealt with. I’ve always loved operating equipment. I really wanted a D4XL or a D5 dozer, but the learning curve to be “really good” on a dozer takes some time. Just knocking down trees and pushing thru land is easy. Making grades, slopes, building pads, etc....takes some time to be good at. So, I decided to get the mulcher setup. I already knew how to run one. Plus I knew (or thought anyway) that it would be easier to get work being a new guy with the mulcher rather than trying to get work being an inexperienced dozer operator. One or two bad jobs around here will ruin your name. So...here we are now. Hopefully it’ll all workout and I’ll be able to atleast make my machine payments and insurance with money generated from the business. Time will tell....
                          Last edited by Trevor73402; 07-20-2019, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                            I’ve always wanted to have my own business/be my own boss. I’ve been blessed to have some very good jobs since the time I left college. However, I’ve never been that good at “playing the company game”. I can be very opinionated, I always speak my mind, and I don’t just give respect to someone based on their title. As you may have guessed, this makes me a “hostile associate” in the eyes of upper management. I’m much better off working for myself. I’m much happier as well.

A few years ago, a friend and I decided to start a barbecue business. It was based out of a food truck/trailer. We went all in with cash only. No debt. We sold food on the weekends at various places around town. We were extremely successful from the very first day we setup. We started selling at 11am and we usually were sold out of food by 1pm. Always sold out of brisket. It was $19.99 per pound and they were lined up for it before we even opened. If any of you have ever tried to sell barbecue, you know there isn’t a lot of profit margin in it and the hours are LONG and endless. I would get up Friday morning and I usually would not go back to sleep until sometime Sunday evening. This was a passion of mine so I didn’t mind the work. It was so rewarding for me to know people wanted my brisket like that and would drive long distances just to get some. The business was based in Ardmore and my business partner lived in Dallas. The traveling back and forth and long hours eventually got to him and he decided he no longer wanted to be a part of it. I attempted to do it all on my own and managed to for a bit, but it was just simply too much for me to handle, even with the help of my amazing and beautiful girlfriend. So.....that turned out to be a bust.

A while back I had to take one of my vehicles to a local body shop to have a dent in my bumper fixed. It was around 10:30am. While I was inside getting some info, the owner pulled up out front in his new black corvette. Walked in wearing some khaki shorts and a t-shirt. He had spent the night on his house boat and was just getting into the office at that time. He walked in and told one of the guys there to take his car and to go get everyone some food and Starbucks. Right there, in that moment, I knew that I’d never be happy working for someone else the rest of my life (I never have been). I knew that I had to get off my *** and start thinking of something I could make happen on my own. I have a strong passion for cooking. Especially barbecue. But I knew that was never going to be possible to get off the ground with a one man operation. Plus all the health codes and inspections etc that I had already dealt with. I’ve always loved operating equipment. I really wanted a D4XL or a D5 dozer, but the learning curve to be “really good” on a dozer takes some time. Just knocking down trees and pushing thru land is easy. Making grades, slopes, building pads, etc....takes some time to be good at. So, I decided to get the mulcher setup. I already knew how to run one. Plus I knew (or thought anyway) that it would be easier to get work being a new guy with the mulcher rather than trying to get work being an inexperienced dozer operator. One or two bad jobs around here will ruin your name. So...here we are now. Hopefully it’ll all workout and I’ll be able to atleast make my machine payments and insurance with money generated from the business. Time will tell....
                            Living the American Dream. I'd rather take a chance and it not work out than to never try and always wonder. Best wishes on your adventure and if you are ever in the Normangee area, hit me up, I may have some work for you later this year

Comment

You have done all your homework, and you are doing it for the right reasons. There is no failure in that.

Get after it, amigo!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                                You have done all your homework, and you are doing it for the right reasons. There can be no failure in that. You either win or you learn.

Get after it, amigo!

Comment

Working...
                                X