No announcement yet.

Most Amusing Animal Behavior Witnessed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heard rustling in the tall grass in front of my stand and looked down to see a lime green snake about three feet long sticking his head up about a foot in the air and looking around. It would move a few feet and do it again. After a while, the rustling got louder and I watched that snake chase a frog about 50 yards and catch it before the frog jumped into a water puddle.
    Same puddle a few years ago, before daylight I was walking to my stand. I had rubber boots on, but this was the only mud I had to step in and I didn't want to track it in my stand. On the narrow dry spot I walk up on a coiled up water moccasin. Side step and go hunt. That evening right before dark, I sat and watched three good size moccasins swimming in this 10 foot diameter mud puddle.

Comment

Saw a medium size badger run circles around a cactus. He finally dives in and pulls out a cottontail about half his size. He pulled it out into the dirt road and eats the entire rabbit. Bones, fur and all. When he is done he rolls in the dirt and lays on his back for awhile like he had a good meal. He finally walked off. This was at 10 yards and of course I didn't bring my camera that day.

Comment

Was on stand in a climber. Had two small bucks work their way towards each other sideways with ears back and hair standing up on their spine. When they got close enough... they start to go at it lightly, but quick moves. Then out of nowhere a larger, and another buck I had no intention of shooting...comes running and dives into the middle of the fight. Splits the smaller bucks up like a referee. They retreat and come back again , now the fight is a 3 way. After about a minute. the two smaller bucks just take off in opposite directions and the third was left standing there like...Come back and fight!
        Very cool.

Comment

Fishing one summer on a buddies big lease SW of Carrizo Springs. They have some giant tanks on them. It had been a wet enough year that the tanks were actually out of their usual banks and we were essentially wade fishing the mesquite flats, flipping worms at the base of each tree, having an unbelievable day of fishing.

We decided to keep a handful of bass to fry for dinner and didn't feel like getting the drinks fishy so we put the fish on a stringer. About 2 hours before dark we decided to go make a cruise to see what might be moving around the ranch, so we tied the stringer and fish to a tree that was in about knee deep water and were going to come back and get it on the way out. When we came back right before dark, we come around the bend to where the fish are tied off and we see a very large badger making its way from the edge of the tank back into a dense cactus flat.

My buddy waded out into the water and retrieved the stringer and what we found was that about 50% of our fish were gnawed down to the heads. Still don't know how that badger knew to go out to that tree and that it'd find those fish, but it did and had a free buffet of fresh fish.

Comment

Once threw a beer can at a bobcat. Dude just sat there

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlRUblHFE7I"]Boko loves natty - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

The first WT I ever killed with a bow was a doe. Made a terrible shot (guts), as she had seen me draw and was looking straight at me when I released. Old slow bow, and by the time the arrow got there, she had moved quite a bit. Center punched her. I waited about 2 hrs, and went walking in to look for her. I must have caught some liver, because the blood trail was not terrible. As I was following the blood, I walked up on a big group of pigs feeding. I slowly backed out and ran to the pickup and grabbed my 22 rifle. I snuck back in and there was a big grey pig lying down, and the others were all around it. I shot the big grey one, but the pigs never moved. I shot a second time and they started to scatter. I picked out another and popped it. When I walked in to where they had been the grey pig turned out to be my now half eaten deer. The pigs had eaten both hinds, guts and stripped most of the ribs. I ended up with no deer, but had some pork.

Comment

Many years ago, while hunting a 20 wheat field in Jacksboro. We had pigs, deer, and cattle all milling around in close proximity to each other. A calf starts chasing a yearling deer. The yearling begins to chase the calf, then begins chasing a piglet. The piglet runs to mama. Mama Pig bows up and clears the field of every living animal.

Followed very closely by a feral swine chasing a burro down a fence line on the Hwy. 287 side frontage fence two winters ago. Pig was gaining on the burro, burro was running as hard as it could. Hilarious. No idea what prompted that scene, but i wish i could've seen it from beginning to end.

Comment

I have three that come to mind.
                  1. dove hunting several years ago by a small water hole, out of the grass appears an armadillo, he walks in the water and starts taking a bath and rolling in the mud. The show lasted about 20 minutes, he was having a good time.

2. Within a mile of one place I lived a doe got hit on the highway. She had a fawn and it ran up in to someones yard, well they found it and fed it, but it was free to come and go. As it turned is was a buck fawn and I would see him just about every day for well over a year, one day I saw him in the pasture playing with calves. He would chase them a while then they would chase him. I was late for work that day because I sat there and watch until they had had enough play time.

3. Two coons and a doe with 2 yearlings eating at the feeder. all was going good until one of the yearlings and one of the coons came nose to nose. The coon puffed up and growled, no sooner than he started to growled the yearling popped him on the head, coons and deer scattered in all directions.

Comment

I watched two woodpeckers messin with a flying squirrel back in May. It went on for over an hour. I caught a little of it with my phone:
                    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YQwa8Nim2Q"]Two woodpeckers harassing a flying squirrel - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

There is a woodpecker that pecks on the street lamp post on my cul de sac. It’s a steel light post, I can hear it inside the house.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                        Once threw a beer can at a bobcat. Dude just sat there

Boko loves natty - YouTube
                        Obviously he was a beer snob and you sir where not drinking his brand. I would have let'r rip tater chip.

Comment

My roommate took this picture with his BlackBerry when we lived in Phoenix.. this was up in N. Scottsdale.. everyone went their separate ways! No harm done

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
                            Obviously he was a beer snob and you sir where not drinking his brand. I would have let'r rip tater chip.
                            I've killed plenty bobcats. Kill em all and you miss these interactions

Comment

Several incidents come to mind.

Was sitting in a tree stand when a squirrel noticed me and began to bark at me. I remained motionless, even when he ran around gathering pine cones and dropping them on me trying to get me to move. He finally got tired of the game and peed down the tree trunk before scampering off.

Watched an owl swoop down by my tree stand catching birds. He carried them to a limb on the next tree and would pull off both wings before swallowing them whole. He caught about 5 over a span of 30 minutes.

Had a smart old buck walking a creek bank just out of bow range. He would take about 15 steps and then remain absolutely motionless for 10-15 minutes. Not a tail flicker, head turn or ear cock...nothing. Took him over an hour to go 100 yards...always out of range.

Comment

Had 6 deer coming down a trail towards me, then a squirrel decided he didn't want them there. He sat on a limb 15' above the trail and barked at them for 10 minutes. They kept walking up to him then retreating 10 yards or so. They did this over and over then finally walked about 50 yards around him, and around me.

Comment

Working...
                                X