Cheapest method to keep two acres cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
    That's high range and 2nd gear. Not sure what the m.p.h. is at, but the pasture is fairly smooth and I mow it in the winter when the bermuda is not growing. Mainly hitting small areas of weeds. It's not much strain on the tractor at all.
    My point was, you aint mowing 10 acres in an hour with a 6' shredder.
    Agreed

Normal mowing like you i keep in 3rd on low gear and just cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
      After the 3rd person said it here i might have to look further into costs for a fence.
      Goats are what hundred bucks a pop?
      I can get you a goat by 3PM.

Comment

After the 3rd person said it here i might have to look further into costs for a fence.
        You can pick them up for pretty cheap sometimes at the auction.

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
          I can get you a goat by 3PM.
          This is intriguing. You have a DeLorean?

Comment

Less than that. I've seen some for $35-40.

Comment

If I couldn’t charge $350.00 for a job that took all day using my equipment in your area, I would move.
              I’m right there with you!

Comment

Reach out to a neighbor or drive around and see if anyone in your area mows. I found a retired individual who charged me $25 per acre. That was a steal!!

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                  I can usually get 40-60 acres a day. All I’m seeing is dollar signs. Lots of money down there, though. People willing to pay those high prices.
                  You must be running some big equipment. I’ve got 10 acres and a 7’ shredder. If it’s 3’ tall, can take me 7 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouch View Post
                    This is intriguing. You have a DeLorean?
                    Obviously you're not a golfer

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                      Obviously you're not a golfer
                      Haha

Comment

While we're on the topic of looking for paid help...
                        I need some sweetgum cleared and some smaller stumps pulled up so my other elderly neighbor told me he knew a young hardworking guy from his church that runs a dozer, did plenty of work for him and would be really cheap for me.

Got the guys number
                        Played phone tag for a month
                        Literally it was two weeks before I gave up then two weeks after that I ran across his number again and threw a hail Mary text
                        Touchdown!
                        Problem is he talked himself out of the job
                        Not that I didn't choose him but he said he's too busy.
                        Too busy to make money
                        Can you believe that????

So I thought of renting a deere 30g 1.5 ton excavator and doing it myself
                        Those are like $250 per day I hear

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                          I had mentioned that I was running a 6 ft mower and also that the pasture was so overgrown, it was overheating my equipment. SO i had to go very slow in low gear running higher rpm's and make a second pass. When standing out in the pasture, it was nearly to my hip and extremely thick.
                          Fair enough

Comment

I will by you a steak dinner if you come over to my place and mow 10 acres in an hour with a 6' shredder.
                            I have 13 acres of pasture on my place. It takes me around 5 hours to mow it with a 6' shredder and a 68 h.p. tractor.
                            I thought he was implying he had decent sized equipment like a 15ft-20ft batwing and enough HP to push it. Did not realize it is just a little 6ft shredder.

Is your 68hp, Mahindra HP or real tractor HP? Because if that is real tractor HP rated at the PTO that is enough to run a 15ft batwing, So I would upgrade if I was you!! Assuming it makes since for you to do it. But less time dealing with your cutting and now you become more desirable to be hired out to cut others. As your time will be productive and efficient.

If you are shredding grass for $$$$ time is money!

Once upon a time we use to farm and we use to have the equipment. Not anymore.
                            Last edited by MattPopp; 06-17-2019, 11:05 PM.

Comment

I run a 25hp compact and a 5' shredder, it takes me all day to do 10 acres but my jobs are primarily 1 to 5 acres. Usually around homesteads with trees, buildings etc... these are the jobs the big guys can't take on but you can't do them with a zero turn, it would destroy a lawn mower in a day. Many are 6-8' high, there always seems to be wire. steel posts, chunks of concrete, big rocks, logs, stumps, deep ruts etc on every job. Lots of trees can double your time, you need to stop and blow out your radiator and grill a couple times a day also. You need a new air filter often as well. My shredder is 60 days old and is so banged up and dented from hitting stuff that is hidden in the grass it looks like a 10 year old piece of equipment. It seems like easy money and in a way it is(compared to swinging a sickle) but it requires more than meets the eye.

Comment

Sell it. Two acres is pretty useless for anything and really useless for someone that lives two hundred miles away.

Comment

Working...
                                X