No announcement yet.

Dog breed recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is a good place to look for puppies? Craigslist?
    Wanting to buy at the end of July after we get back from vacation.

If anyone will have pups at that time frame, please PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by Capp35 View Post
      So... this thread is about ME and looking for suggestions.
      Not who's dog is better than who's dog.

Please keep my thread on topic, with suggestions not arguments.

Thank you!
      My apologies sir. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Golden retriever

Comment

Where is a good place to look for puppies? Craigslist?
          Wanting to buy at the end of July after we get back from vacation.

If anyone will have pups at that time frame, please PM me.
          Sorry if I come across as a smart alec know it all....lol.

No to craigslist or newspapers. That's mostly backyard breeders. Pick a breed and search for a reputable breeder.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Can't believe no one has mentioned Lacy or Black Mouth Cur's.
            They are hit or miss sometimes. But when you get a good one of either breed they are something really special. Work, guard, non aggressive to kids.

Comment

I’d go with a Black and Tan or a blood hound. Every hound dog I’ve been around (several family and friends had them growing up) were great dogs. I had a lab and she was great but certainly not an inside dog. Bloodhounds don’t seem to mind laying on the floor or couch all day and just relaxing. Plus the bay is hilarious to me. When I get another dog that’s what I’m going for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looking for a medium to large dog (prefer working type group) that is loving, does well in a house (especially when gone to work), and wont break the bank.
                I have considered a Lab, but seems like everyone has one and it would be neat if it was a little more off the wall, but I am not apposed to it.
                I had a Weimaraner and loved her, but she was spastic until almost 4 years old.
                Any ideas?
                Standard Poodle

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

So... this thread is about ME and looking for suggestions.
                  Not who's dog is better than who's dog.

Please keep my thread on topic, with suggestions not arguments.

Thank you!
                  Rhodesian Ridge-back: Great dogs have been around, they are protective and the ones I have been around are layed back as they come. They are a dog with a built stature that is intimidating just being around.

Doberman: I have a friend that has their female due. She is 1 year old and comes over to our house with our other dogs. She is a great dog and just her looks and bark are enough to deter most men. Calm demeanor and very minimal shedding.

Labs: Sheds like there is no tomorrow. There are so many breeders with just dollar signs on their minds. Don't care about well being, health, or temperament. I have had a few and all their personalities were different. But, they were all spastic. If I were to ever get another lab it would be the English type labs. As they are more prone to have an "Off Switch". Will bark, but most have no bite.

*Only my personal experience and opinion*

You already know about boxers. I have a 16 year old boxer that I wouldn't trade for anything. But, I won't have another one based on her shedding.

Only thing I recommend is if you are going to buy a pure bred dog. Go with a reputable breeders that has health guarantees. Good Luck

Comment

Looking for a medium to large dog (prefer working type group) that is loving, does well in a house (especially when gone to work), and wont break the bank.
                    I have considered a Lab, but seems like everyone has one and it would be neat if it was a little more off the wall, but I am not apposed to it.
                    I had a Weimaraner and loved her, but she was spastic until almost 4 years old.
                    Any ideas?
                    I can't speak for everyone, but I have them because, of all the breeds and different applications I want/need a dog for I haven't found a more versitale breed.
                    I believe every man is entitled to at least one good dog in his lifetime. I have 3 at the house right now. One's yellow and the other two are black.

Comment

At the lease hanging out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am beginning to agree.
                        I hear they can be aggressive chewers around the house. Anyway to curve that other than leaving it out in the backyard or in the kennel when not at home?
                        I've found they chew because they aren't content. A good one has a high drive and wants to be doing something other than sitting around. If not worked/stimulated they will find something to pass the time. It's generally at your expense.

Comment

Dog breed recommendations?

I am beginning to agree.

I hear they can be aggressive chewers around the house. Anyway to curve that other than leaving it out in the backyard or in the kennel when not at home?

They definitely will chew when they’re puppies. Im no expert, but I’ve had a couple labs and I think it’s something they do out of boredom.

We put our old boy down at 15 years old almost a year ago, and since then, we “rescued” a running walker coonhound, and next week we’re going to pick up a lab puppy. I really think the dogs being together will keep them occupied and keep the boredom level down.

This was our last lab about 10 years ago. He was a great dog.
                          Last edited by kyle1974; 06-14-2019, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Chewing is an easy fix and is on the owner. Dog bone technology has come a long ways. Every pup chews up shoes, it’s in the owner to correct the behavior and promote an alternative

Comment

Maybe ask your mailman or UPS guy? They deal with dogs everyday

Comment

I agree with getting a rescue lots of breeds to chose from and they KNOW you saved them! The best dogs I have ever owned were rescued and most were mutts

Comment

Working...
                                X