Boat transom replacement help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TxSpinner View Post
    She just gave it to you? Why can't I ever come across something like that.

She just wanted it gone. I’ve gotten lots of things free or cheap just by asking if it’s for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
      She just wanted it gone. I’ve gotten lots of things free or cheap just by asking if it’s for sale.
      Can I come hang out with you for a week? I need some stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
        You have a golden horseshoe somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
          The pour in is just a high density urethane foam. Same thing as the gap filler foam you buy at Lowes but a 15-20# density versus 1.9#. I use PET foam board and tie it in with carbon fiber and epoxy resin instead of fiberglass and polyester resin. You have to gusset the transom loads into the lower portion of the hull or you’ll eventually have problems no matter what you do.

Hard to tell what all is busted out from your pic but just holding my thumb up and closing one eye I’d say $1350 What size motor are you running and do you have a jack plate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Seems you have some experience at this. I have a similar problem with a transom on a Bass Tracker (alauminum). What is the name of this type of foam and where can you purchase it. I am not familiar with it.

Comment

Originally posted by glpoe1 View Post
            Seems you have some experience at this. I have a similar problem with a transom on a Bass Tracker (alauminum). What is the name of this type of foam and where can you purchase it. I am not familiar with it.
            You need to get a welder, this pour type transom is for fiberglass boats only.

Comment

Did a poor in repair on a bay boat about 10 years ago, boat is still going strong, better than original.

Comment

Originally posted by Whampuscat2 View Post
                Did a poor in repair on a bay boat about 10 years ago, boat is still going strong, better than original.

Good to know. That’s the route I’m taking. I’ll try to post progress reports. Hoping to get the motor off this evening.

Comment

Well I got the motor off and clear. It took longer to assemble the harbor freight engine jack than to take the motor off. I’ll get my cut off wheel tomorrow and cut the top of the transom off and see what it looks like.

Comment

Excited to see whats to come.

Comment

I got all the drain tubes and pumps removed.

Comment

Yuck

Comment

I finally got all the rotten wood dug out of the transom. Pain in the rear. I duct taped a piece of 1” conduit to my shop vac hose and chiseled in there until I was able to suck it all out. It was rotten enough that it only took about an hour. I could see it being a nightmare if the transom was only partially rotten. Anyway, don’t know if you can see in there but here is a pic or two of it cleaned out. Transom material shows to be delivered tomorrow so I may be pouring by the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Have fun! I did one and although labor intensive it wasn't that bad.

Comment

If you're going to go pourable, you need to get ALL of the wood out. Make sure you the wood doesn't extend into the rear sponsons on either side. If it does, it may be almost impossible to get to all of the wood without doing a top cap removal. If you're going to separate the top cap, you might as well do a traditional transom rebuild. I've done a pourable using Arjay 6000, and it worked great, but I was able to access to the entire width of the transom.

Comment

Originally posted by Marooned View Post
                                If you're going to go pourable, you need to get ALL of the wood out. Make sure you the wood doesn't extend into the rear sponsons on either side. If it does, it may be almost impossible to get to all of the wood without doing a top cap removal. If you're going to separate the top cap, you might as well do a traditional transom rebuild. I've done a pourable using Arjay 6000, and it worked great, but I was able to access to the entire width of the transom.

Thank for the tip. I did get it all out.

Comment

Working...
                                X