Dog Harness for walks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog Harness for walks?

Bought this one recently. My 7 year old Springer likes it. He doesn’t pull seems to walk better than with the choker collar. Surprised me as I never understood why people would let their dogs pull them around with a harness. He’s well trained though and doesn’t really require a leash in public places. Won’t leave my side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Canoe1 View Post
      A harness can actually increase the dogs drive to pull. I know with my dog, when I harness her up, she will really dig in and pull.
      Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
      Bingo! There’s a reason that working sled dogs wear a harness to pull. It allows them to pull harder and more effectively, and if you offer them steady resistance, the dog is going to think that pulling is the task you want them to do.

Comment

pinch collar, i used on my lab, after the second day walk she stopped pulling, now walks right by my side with no collar or leash

Comment

Wow.
          He said the dog doesn’t have a behavior problem, just wondering about the difference between a collar and harness for walks

We switched to a harness for our old dog after he had a neck surgery..... he likes it and we like it much better than a collar for taking walks. Plus it has skulls and crossbones on it, so he’s stylin’

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
            If you damaged the dog’s throat, you used it wrong.

Let’s agree to disagree on this.

Comment

Originally posted by lab man View Post
              Choke chain. Learn how to put it on properly and correct him when he isn’t healing by your side. It shouldn’t take long to break him of pulling you.
              I used to be a big fan of the choke chain, but there is something better.

Comment

Saggy stated it correctly. Shes 11yrs old, down in her hips a little and no behavior problem. Just wanted to see if you guys had any preference for regular collar or harness for dog walks.

Comment

If you go harnes you will likely need to add a 1/2 hitch around the flanks to offer correction and prevent pulling.

Comment

Training collars

This worked well for us then we transition to regular chain or collar
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                      If you go harnes you will likely need to add a 1/2 hitch around the flanks to offer correction and prevent pulling.

Correction from what?
                      Sometimes my dog gets ahead of us and sometimes lags behind if he finds an interesting smell or something.
                      He might even lay down and roll on a mole tunnel.
                      Is this behavior something I need to correct ? LOL

Comment

A simple choke chain that fits correctly is by far the best for training! I could use something different now but just stayed with the simple chain for the last 8yrs on my vizsla.. best $7 ever spent on a collar

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
                          Correction from what?

OP specifically asked about harness for a dog that pulls. A dog that pulls needs correction.

With a properly fit pinch collar you can correct the dog a few times and then have leisurely walks or you can use a harness and let the dog walk you.

Comment

IMO harness' put all the control in the dogs favor. I cannot control my sons Lab with the harness on. He is able to pull me too much. Not a well behaved dog.
                            The harness they use is a "Kong". Well made and easy to slip on.

Comment

Gentle Leader (head halter) or No-Pull Harness are both humane and effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X