School rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
    The learning disabilities sure seem to be wildly over diagnosed.
    YES!

A child can be considered SPED with ADHD. Sad

Again part of society nowadays

Comment

Originally posted by Perkins7581 View Post
      Here what I think he’s getting at when I went to school everyone put their butt in the chair until class was over. Now you have the one kid that has to have his stand up deck, or some kids have a bouncy ball they sit on and bounce the hole class period while other kids are trying to learn. Get back to hitting these baby’s in the mouth.
      I hope you are joking with that last sentence.

Comment

I too am struggling to figure out where the stress is coming from for this teacher. I'm sure I am just missing something.

Reading though these posts, I really feel for some of you; both teachers and parents with children with real struggles. I'm reminded of when my youngest was in 1st or 2nd grade. The teachers approached us about the possibility that our son had attention deficit disorder and possibly some learning disabilities. We agreed to have him tested by a third party. While he did think and learn a little different than "normal", his problem was mostly a case of being very bright and very lazy. That's a difficult combination. He was convinced that by the 5th grade, he had learned all the math he was ever going to need. It's pretty tough to make make a kid learn. That attitude has caused trouble over the years. Even though he tested very high on all standardized tests, ACT and SAT, he managed to flunk out of A&M. He did finally get his act together and he graduates from UTD next week and starts school this Fall at A&M to get his masters in Mays Business School. I'm proud of him and always was except when I wanted to kill him.

Comment

Originally posted by Rush2Judge View Post
          I too am struggling to figure out where the stress is coming from for this teacher. I'm sure I am just missing something.

Reading though these posts, I really feel for some of you; both teachers and parents with children with real struggles. I'm reminded of when my youngest was in 1st or 2nd grade. The teachers approached us about the possibility that our son had attention deficit disorder and possibly some learning disabilities. We agreed to have him tested by a third party. While he did think and learn a little different than "normal", his problem was mostly a case of being very bright and very lazy. That's a difficult combination. He was convinced that by the 5th grade, he had learned all the math he was ever going to need. It's pretty tough to make make a kid learn. That attitude has caused trouble over the years. Even though he tested very high on all standardized tests, ACT and SAT, he managed to flunk out of A&M. He did finally get his act together and he graduates from UTD next week and starts school this Fall at A&M to get his masters in Mays Business School. I'm proud of him and always was except when I wanted to kill him.
          Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
          she just needs to teach and not worry about it, RR! you know... when she's not preparing for an ARD, or a special 1 on 1 session, or creating special curriculum to address the 7 kids in her class that have 7 different "identified" learning issues, or in a parent conference with parents who are hell bent on their kid being classified, and just can't accept the fact everyone doesn't have a 160 IQ.

man, why won't your wife "just teach"?
          Read the above quote. And keep in mind this kid is not behind in reading..He's an average kid.

You want your workload to double at work to get the same results? That would not give you any stress?

Comment

Making sure I understand everything.

Kid was tested by family for dyslexia.
            Family hires reading teacher for 30 minutes a week.
            Kids is reading better which reaffirms in family's eyes that child has dyslexia.
            Original poster's wife(the teacher) is upset for not getting credit for the aiding in advancement of reading by child.
            Original Poster came here for support as he is keeps getting an earful from his wife.
            We(TBH) FAILED as we did little to console him.

Comment

My wife has been in the school system for the last 13 years. The first 8 years she was a teacher/coach and the past 5 years as a counselor. Everyday when she comes home all I hear about is testing whether it be for state or disability. My wife test kids everyday and the majority of the request comes from teachers and a few from parents. My wife came home last week crying about a parent cussing her out about wanting to test their child for a learning disability. My wife spends more time at the school helping kids there, than she does at home with our 2 children who are 5 and 2. My wife came home Monday and said she was tired up helping other kids more than she helps ours and turned her letter of resignation in. I’m so proud of her for taking this step due to the fact that this job causes her nothing but stress and anxiety.
              I think the biggest problem is some parents think the school is responsible for a child’s academic success, when it is actually the parents. If parents don’t work on academics at home their child will never reach their full potential. I salute all parents that take pride in their child’s education.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                Read the above quote. And keep in mind this kid is not behind in reading..He's an average kid.

You want your workload to double at work to get the same results? That would not give you any stress?
                No offense intended. I just missed where this was extra work for your wife. If it is, then I agree this needs to be addressed. If the child really is developing as expected, then "no" she should not be expected to give this child special attention to the detriment of the other students.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruark View Post
                  I worked at Texas Education Agency for 15 years. There are very, very specific rules and laws regarding services to kids with disabilities. It's not uncommon for school personnel to sidestep them and/or not be completely knowledgeable about them. In fact, some of them don't WANT parents to know what legal rights they have. There are strict rules in place about testing, parent notification, meetings, evaluation, cost, instructional adaptations, etc. and they absolutely must be followed. Period, no exceptions. If they are not followed, there are complaint processes in place.

As a starting point, you need to go here and carefully read the TEA Dyslexia Handbook.

Also, chat with the Dyslexia Coordinator at your ESC - in your case, I believe it's ESC 13. Before you do, go through this web site carefully:

Helping your students with dyslexia succeed.

Do NOT depend on the school to dot their i's and cross their t's. It really doesn't matter whether your kid has Dyslexia or not, the procedures still must be followed. The onus is on you as a parent to know what they are and know what your rights are. Do your homework.
                  Nailed it!

You can tell the OP's wife is a great teacher because she shows she cares about the kids and is getting grief from parents and basically no support from anyone. Welcome to the way most schools are today and I feel for her. Been there and done that!

I have 16 kids in my Behavior unit and the problems for 99.99% of these kids can be traced back to the parent in most cases or parents in a select few. This is true in almost every kid in the General Education population in Texas. Too many parents use us as baby sitters and want us to correct their kid's problems because they do not want to nor care!

Comment

And to you husbands that have wives that teach, don't feel special. We all get an earful of how difficult a day our wives had no matter what they do or don't do for a living.

*** Note: this was meant as a joke and not a slight of the wonderful TBH teaching family.
                    Last edited by Rush2Judge; 05-08-2019, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Tim, I think where this thread went awry is that you didn't explain that her stress was due to extra work, or if you did, I missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                        Making sure I understand everything.

Kid was tested by family for dyslexia.
                        Family hires reading teacher for 30 minutes a week.
                        Kids is reading better which reaffirms in family's eyes that child has dyslexia.
                        Original poster's wife(the teacher) is upset for not getting credit for the aiding in advancement of reading by child.
                        Original Poster came here for support as he is keeps getting an earful from his wife.
                        We(TBH) FAILED as we did little to console him.
                        Not even close. Try again.

Originally posted by Rush2Judge View Post
                        No offense intended. I just missed where this was extra work for your wife. If it is, then I agree this needs to be addressed. If the child really is developing as expected, then "no" she should not be expected to give this child special attention to the detriment of the other students.
                        The point is the parents will not let the school test the child. They just want the school to overlook that he's on par with the other students and accept he's dyslexic.

And like I said before it's easier for teacher to get the kids tested who need it and move on. But the parents know the kid is not dyslexic so refuse the test LOL It's just time consuming and stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by grizzman View Post
                          So no data, just talking about things you don't know about like a lot of people on this thread.
                          How you know be doesn't have the data? Maybe he has a medical condition that hinders him from sharing it on a public forum? Like shared-data anxiety. You shouldn't judge him.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunting4fun View Post
                            How you know be doesn't have the data? Maybe he has a medical condition that hinders him from sharing it on a public forum? Like shared-data anxiety. You shouldn't judge him.
                            Maybe, just maybe he should have been tested when he was in school!!

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                              Not even close. Try again.

The point is the parents will not let the school test the child. They just want the school to overlook that he's on par with the other students and accept he's dyslexic.

And like I said before it's easier for teacher to get the kids tested who need it and move on. But the parents know the kid is not dyslexic so refuse the test LOL It's just time consuming and stupid.
                              I could see your wife's frustration with this situation. Seems like this set of parents maybe wanting to play the system. Your wife must care a who lot to let it bother her this much, shows she wants to do her job and cares for the kids. I hope it gets better for her, but more important better for you. lol

Comment

Originally posted by trhunter View Post
                                I could see your wife's frustration with this situation. Seems like this set of parents maybe wanting to play the system. Your wife must care a who lot to let it bother her this much, shows she wants to do her job and cares for the kids. I hope it gets better for her, but more important better for you. lol
                                Oh I'm just fine...

And I know that's her issue. She not only cares too much but she just can't NOT do her job 100%. I try telling her she can only do so much and deal with so much school BS..she should just slack off a little..but she can't

Comment

Working...
                                X