2019/2020 east Texas hunting thread..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
    For what it’s worth the last couple of months most of the deer I’ve seen have been between 11 AM and 2 PM.

Deer don’t know what air conditioning is. They move when they need to.
    Funny. We were just talking about this. Most deer I have on camera are around 10 am. Had a great buck, at a FEEDER at 1 in the afternoon. Once rifle season starts, those times begin to change.

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

A lot of the deer movement in East Tx depends on the pressure and traffic being put on them.

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
        Funny. We were just talking about this. Most deer I have on camera are around 10 am. Had a great buck, at a FEEDER at 1 in the afternoon. Once rifle season starts, those times begin to change.

.....and God Bless America.
        For the last month, most of the buck activity I have on camera is between 8-9pm and 4-6am. I have very very few daytime buck pics, even of the young bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
          For the last month, most of the buck activity I have on camera is between 8-9pm and 4-6am. I have very very few daytime buck pics, even of the young bucks.
          Same here. To me, that says they are bedded close

Comment

I am in the same situation. The deer activity for me in Anderson Co. is mid morning and mid evening. They are bedding close and not traveling far. I am hunting an oak flat in a creek bottom. The hard part for me is getting in without detection. The deer are using the trail i cut for access. I have learned a lot about how little i really know this year but also how much I have missed by hunting the pines instead of the creek. In the early part of the past seasons.

Comment

I'm whacking and stacking pork all season, doesn't look like our two bigger 10's from last year survived any neighbors so I'm on pig patrol while the other guys try to get a mature buck down.

Luckily all stands have hog activity daily, I guess luckily....

Comment

Just picked up a new spot in Trinity County. Very light pressure on it the last 10 years or so. Borders a large club on paper company land. Looking great so far. Plan to walk it and hang a stand this afternoon and start a corn pile. Hope its not too late.

And all it cost me was cleaning brush from the landowners gate.

Have a nice up and comer at home in Walker county coming in regular. And apparently the pigs have learned to fly..... or got mad jumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post

It was a long two days in Polk co. We planted around 800#’s of buck forage oats and moved a bunch of stands around. Did lots of lane clearing and bulldogging. Finally getting this new place set up the way we like it on year two. I found a good shed from one of our 4.5 yr olds from the yr before that we call Goblin. It was lots of work but it’s fun when the whole lease joins in. We have community stands and all share the lease equally, just hunt the trophy deer. It’s easier to get help for work weekends but it’s a lot of work for 6 guys on 1200 acres when every stand needs a bunch of work. I’m glad I’m about done with all my deer lease prep. My buddy will plant newton for me and I’ll plant around the house in October. Now I’m Just waiting on my wife to domino with our baby girl. Maybe get a few bow hunts in if I’m lucky.

I guess that's a good thing about multiple persons lease. I despise spending two days mowing, one day with the disc/tiller and another day seeding, swapping out implements etc

Originally posted by drogers6771 View Post
                  Interesting that your coons and skeeters are hard horned....or perhaps more interesting that my coons and skeeters aren't yet. I am about a mile off the Trinity in SW Houston Co. and as of 10 days ago (last time I checked pics) all my skeeters and coons are still in velvet

shhhhhh no deer in that area hard horned or the like

Comment

Wonder bra made 2 daylight appearances this week on my hand made trail!!! ... and in daylight I could tell he didn’t break the 5” kicker off base!!!

I have never dreamed of hunting a target buck this early in season, but lord willing I will hunt him opening evening. I have never seen him in the morning, other than 5:30 ish. I hate to blow him out because I know kinda where I think he’s bedding but not 100%. I feel like my planned approach in the evening will be safe... just take awhile and be sloooow

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                      I guess that's a good thing about multiple persons lease. I despise spending two days mowing, one day with the disc/tiller and another day seeding, swapping out implements etc

shhhhhh no deer in that area hard horned or the like

Lol I hate doing it all by myself. Gets old quick!

I’m ready just waiting on Saturday afternoon or my wife to pop. Either way I’m hoping for a celebration come the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                        Wonder bra made 2 daylight appearances this week on my hand made trail!!! ... and in daylight I could tell he didn’t break the 5” kicker off base!!!

I have never dreamed of hunting a target buck this early in season, but lord willing I will hunt him opening evening. I have never seen him in the morning, other than 5:30 ish. I hate to blow him out because I know kinda where I think he’s bedding but not 100%. I feel like my planned approach in the evening will be safe... just take awhile and be sloooow

Good luck!! Sometimes they get easier to kill the older they get. Once they get through their ghost years. Afternoon is definitely the ticket.

Comment

My three ground blinds got two feet of water in em from Imelda. One of the older ones (my best) imploded from the weight of rain. Today is the first day I’ve been able to get in there without hip boots. Been hand corning. Hogs were nonexistent until lately and now they’ve taken over. Got a tree stand downwind of a couple loaded oaks that are about to domino. Skeeters were non existent also until this rain. Wading to hand corn this morning mosquito larvae was kicking it in all the still standing water. I’m in Liberty county and the property adjoins one of the Trinity River wildlife units. Had a couple decent bucks showing up in the dark but the hogs aren’t being friendly. We shall see

Comment

Our Liberty co place had the whole road wash out. Hole is about 20' wide and 10' deep. Only road in. Not sure what we are going to do to get in there.

Comment

Final card pull this evening to see if I’m going to be waiting for cooler weather or if there’s something worth sweating for...

Comment

Nothing worth hunting, but left one property and hour later one of my Covert’s had a bachelor group of 4 bucks show up so hopefully something funnels in somewhere soon

Comment

Working...
                                X