No announcement yet.

parents supporting grown kids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yahoo is in the same stool bucket as all the other liberal rags. They posted this same article on the same day the OP's link was posted. I can't find it now.

There is no denying the huge problem with college tuition debt exists. Trying to buy votes with this solution is garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
      https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...422-story.html

Yahoo is in the same stool bucket as all the other liberal rags. They posted this same article on the same day the OP's link was posted. I can't find it now.

There is no denying the huge problem with college tuition debt exists. Trying to buy votes with this solution is garbage.

Fed. Govt needs to get out of college tuition altogether. They’re the ones who created this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If not mentioned, I'd say Obama care also doesn't help. It allows kids to stay on their parents insurance until the age of 26.

Prior to Obama care, kids were kicked off their parent's insurance after high school. One key exception was full time college students could stay on until 21. If you wanted insurance, you either got a job or went to school.

I'd also agree with the notion that parents are just as much to blame as the kids.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
          If I could continue to drive the 2007 Silverado I previously owned with 240k miles on it I would. It was long paid off and running fine but I didn’t have a choice. I know what you’re saying though. I know plenty of people bitching about money who drive a 2019 truck and wear luchesse boots. It’s Justin’s and Wranglers over here.

Good on you. Live within your means and you will get ahead..

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
            https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...422-story.html

infuriating.

Comment

I was told I had 2 options when I graduated HS. Go off to college, or stay at home if I was in the community college before transferring to a 4 year school.

I took option #3 and enlisted because I didn't want the student loans or my parents to sacrifice to try and help out. I've been out for almost 8 years now and still haven't used any of my GIbill but landed a 6 figure job.

I can't imagine living at home or depending on my parents after having left the house and it disgusts me to see some of my generation taking advantage of their parents that way.

As to the student loan issue and costs.... it's a simple supply and demand. The schools charge what they do because they know kids are going to sign up to pay for it because it's been engrained in them that you can't be successful without it.

Sent from somewhere

Comment

Parent failure. No other comment needed.

Comment

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
                  infuriating.
                  "The Massachusetts senator says the proposal unveiled Monday would eliminate almost all student loan debt for 42 million Americans, canceling $50,000 in debt for each person with household income under $100,000."

So quite literally all the liberal arts or African studies or whatever degrees that are completely worthless while leaving people who were smart enough to get real worthwhile degrees left holding the bags.

That's my major issue with the education system. You don't get a $200k loan to buy a Civic so why are we lending people $100+k to get a worthless degree? What you borrow should equate to ability to pay it back.

Comment

I am the OP - posted this because going into huge debt to get a degree is totally silly.

I worked my way through college 45 years ago. Some will say "but it is more expensive now so I have to take out huge college loans " - I call BS. The cost back then is relative to the cost today.

I paid my own tuition, books, etc. Many a time I worked the night shift all night until 7 am - I was unloading 18 wheelers - then I would drive 40 miles home, shower, and go to class for 4-5 hours. It was not easy but I did it. The kids now days are soft - pure and simple. Mommy and Daddy want to shelter them from any type of stress - really?

You do NOT NEED a private or high dollar college to get a good degree and make it in life. I went to a state school and worked my butt off to pay my own way. Then I graduated and worked my butt off some more to build a business from scratch. I am now 65 years old and life is good. Retirement is set. Why? Because I had awesome parents in the 1970s who loved me enough to tell me to go make my own way.

Sorry but if a student is taking out $100k plus loans to get through college then something is wrong. Get your butt to work and figure it out yourself!

Comment

Yes sir. My wife paid for her degree working until we married and I worked two and three jobs to pay the rest until after she graduated and went to work. If you can't afford an education then work a labor job until you can.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by RobinHood View Post
                        Get a student loan to go to college to get a good job- need a great job to pay off said student loan.

Doesn’t have to be that way. None of my kids had a dime of student debt when they graduated. We paid cash for it all.

Any higher learning beyond the 4 years we paid for was on their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                          Eh that’s not the exact truth. I have a semester left and my monthly student payments with financial aid is over $600. So I can only imagine what it will be when I graduate in the spring. If I don’t receive a significant raise it will certainly affect my life in a great way. The price of college is much more than it use to be, and wages have not gone up with inflation, creating this bubble we have now.

So did you only take the amount you needed to pay for books & tuition or did you take the full amount each time with all of the extra money and stipends?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            So did you only take the amount you needed to pay for books & tuition or did you take the full amount each time with all of the extra money and stipends?

Tuition only. I buy my own books because it’s cheaper on amazon but a pain in the ***.

Comment

After I got out of college. I stayed at my moms house until I was around 26-27. Granted the last 4 of those I was gone to work out of town 21-28 days a month and before that gone half the year.. At the time it made no sense to have my own place. I was working my *** off though so I didn’t depend on anyone. When my wife and I started dating I was putting back to build a house. She got pregnant during the building process and we had my daughter while still there for 2-3 months. I couldn’t get out fast enough once my daughter was born but the building took a good bit longer than expected.

Not all situations are the same

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                                The system the kids have to operate in also is not a well oiled machine.
                                The interest rates these kids are charged is criminal for college loans. They also have to graduate first before they can consolidate them at a lesser interest rate.
                                My boy has loans from 8% to 3.25%. Leaving school about 100k in the hole. Luckily he landed a great job and will be able to repay and take over the loan.
                                But you can get a jumbo mortgage and borrow a million dollars at 3%, but borrow money to go to college. You get hit with 8%. Very hard to get on your feet.

You can’t expect a loan with a mortgage with secured collateral to be the same as a completely unsecured loan.

Comment

Working...
                                X