parents supporting grown kids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    NO KIDDING! Do these people spend so much time doing nothing that they never learn how to have fun? The kind of fun you can't have at your folks place? I don't get it. The ages of 19-30 are too **** much fun to have your parents watching you..

I was a crazy man back then. My folks would have made me change my last name if they knew some of the stuff I did. But, I never missed work from too much fun and always wanted to keep moving up.

Comment

My Mom is almost 80 and raised my step sisters kids while she is in and out of jail. The two older ones followed in their mothers footsteps and the youngest (21) works a Chuck E Cheese. They bought him 3 trucks and a new 2017 Mustang in the last 5 years. Stepdad is 79 and still does all the yard work while dip **** sleeps all day. He wont even change a flat tire, just borrows my moms car until Grandpa can fix it.

Comment

Enabling your children and not preparing them for adulthood in child abuse. Prepare them to not need you or your $$!

Comment

Its the parents of the kids. The several I know that are still living with their parents have parents who were very lax and never encouraged hard work and discipline.

Comment

I had two older sisters that my parents paid for their college. When I graduated high school they came to me and said "we spent all our money on your sister's college. So good luck to you son." So I worked my way through college and got my degree.

When I decided to go into the insurance business (which my Dad was also in) I envisioned "going into business with him". Instead he patted me on my back and said "good luck Son - go get them."

That was 40 years ago and was the best thing that ever happened to me. It made me self sufficient and I learned how to work.

I did hear a guy years ago who spoke about raising kids - he had two statements I never forgot.

"The greatest gift you can give your kids is to raise them where their parents have a healthy marriage".

And the other was - "as a parent one of the greatest things you can teach your kids is how to work" -

Comment

NO KIDDING! Do these people spend so much time doing nothing that they never learn how to have fun? The kind of fun you can't have at your folks place? I don't get it. The ages of 19-30 are too **** much fun to have your parents watching you..
              I did it and had no issues. And had plenty of things to do so I was hardly ever home.

Comment

I was out of my parents home by 16 but would not want the same for my kids. My stepson still lives at home but pays rent, cell phone bill and is in school. It took him 3 years to get his associates degree so I am not expecting him to finish his bachelors on time, or budget.. He is good to stay here as long as rent is paid and he is a good example to his sister, chores, respectful and mowing the lawn like he just crossed the border!

It also depends on the individual. The stepson is ok with staying around town working while he goes to school and taking a bit more time. My daughter just turned 14 and is already looking at schools and cannot wait to get out on her own. She is just naturally more independent and mature than my son. He has never really wanted to go away to college or travel, etc. Daughter is the exact opposite.

Comment

I have been out of college for about 10yrs. Graduated college in May, started my career in June, owned a house by September, and paid 100% of bills since I graduated

Comment

All three of mine were on their own when they graduated college. We taught them that we would pay for their education and they would support themselves as soon as they found a job. Very proud that they all made the transition very well. Not saying it was easy to cut the strings but it was the best for them and us.

Comment

There is a severe lack of pride, particularly among males of the species these days.
                      Amen to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What happened to the male gender? I cant even begin to comprehend how they think anymore

Comment

Originally posted by hotrod3367 View Post
                        Amen to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What happened to the male gender? I cant even begin to comprehend how they think anymore
                        For what it's worth I blame the parents.

Comment

Man reading that article and they mention 1.5 TRILLION student loan debt in this country.

Comment

It would appear the TBH parents (and children there of) don't fit the profile of the vertical. I guess we alls key the results to better than they really are.

Comment

I don't get it at all, mostly because by the time I was 20, I'd have rather been homeless than move back in with my parents.

Comment

I am doing the opposite. My retirement plan is to move into my kid's basement.

Comment

Working...
                                X