• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What’s not to love
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hunting4fun View Post
      People have been saying that for decades. My everyone's math we should have 1 trillion pigs.
      Sorry, but if you can't see how many more pigs we have now vs just five years ago, then you haven't been paying attention, or you may live/hunt in an area that's not optimal for hogs. They don't bother me as much at home as they did on my other place where I had to disc areas every year to remove the bomb craters. I sold that place mainly because I was tired of the bastages constantly rooting up food plots, roads, and the camphouse yard. We killed 30/40 a year and didn't make a dent in them.

Comment

YES, before quick can even get ready!

Comment

Originally posted by Hunting4fun View Post
          People have been saying that for decades. My everyone's math we should have 1 trillion pigs.
          In my area there are more now than there used to be. By far.

Not the same for all folks though, some areas have very few. I read an article the other day about an ol boy from Louisiana that was hauling wild pigs to Indiana and turning them loose. He was poaching deer in Indiana and would tell the GW he was hunting pigs. He would bring the big deer back to Louisiana and enter it in contests.

Comment

Yes sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              Sorry, but if you can't see how many more pigs we have now vs just five years ago, then you haven't been paying attention, or you may live/hunt in an area that's not optimal for hogs. They don't bother me as much at home as they did on my other place where I had to disc areas every year to remove the bomb craters. I sold that place mainly because I was tired of the bastages constantly rooting up food plots, roads, and the camphouse yard. We killed 30/40 a year and didn't make a dent in them.
              Last year I started with 21 on cameras. Killed 18 of those 1 weekend. Continue killing and killed 145... of 18!!!! This year in a little over a month I’m at 108 and I have 11 still alive as of 7:20 yesterday

It’s like I’ve never fired a shot

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                Read my post again. Im not saying pigs aren't a problem. Im saying simply killing them all could have repercussions later

Without looking into it, Im not sure the hydrilla was really invasive. Was it a problem, yes (just like feral swine). And even then the state started planting it (or something like it) once the carp numbers started to decline. The 'sterile' carp were not necessarily invasive unless you count how their genetics got played with. But those sterile carp became invasive once they started procreating. Even those became fun shooting 50 and 60 a night

Something else to think about is water hyacinth. Its certainly invasive and causing problems. Just like pigs it grows faster than you can kill it. There was a study of some African water beetle that would eat the crap out of it. Whats gonna happen after all those beetles run out of hyacinth to eat...…??

My point being mother nature is a crazy woman and don't like you messing with her
                I read your post. Mother nature didn't have anything to do with the propagation of FERAL hogs except for how fast they propagate. I believe a guy by the name of Cortez is initially responsible for hogs in the U. S. of A., but he had lots of help in the last few centuries up to and including guys that give them a pass when they're deer hunting, guys that kill one when they could kill more, guys that shoot an "eater" when they could kill a big sow with small pigs, ad infinitum.

I certainly respect everyone's decision to shoot or not to shoot pigs as they please, and I'm certain that they will NEVER be controlled, much less eradicated, but the question was; Would you KAP ? Hell yes, I would, and smile after for days and days.... Carry on !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  including guys that give them a pass when they're deer hunting, guys that kill one when they could kill more, guys that shoot an "eater" when they could kill a big sow with small pigs, ad infinitum. !

Rest assured Im not one of those guys. On 3 occasions this year I shot into groups of 10-15 pigs. Once 7 times, another was 8 or 9 and the last was 13. I only found like 4 dead ones but remember that many limpers. Buzzards and worms gotta eat too

Comment

I would not, I like bacon and sausage to much to kill them all,,, now if we had kill half button I would!

Comment

As a biologist, land owner, lease manager, outfitter in a heartbeat, no hesitation what so ever push the dang button many times over. The cost to farmers and ranchers is so often the difference between profit or another loan to carry on another year. Fences broken down, crops destroyed, as well as native wildlife directly affected. These hogs are not native; just some misguided thinking years ago, (before many of you were even born) released to earn some extra money. So without thinking, release those rabbits and watch them multiply. I mention rabbits because hogs pretty much drop two litters a year and so on and so on. This is not new information to most of you, but it doesn't affect the majority who don't have to deal with them on a daily basis. I am sure if they were taking money out of your profit margin you would be quick to find a remedy. So many of you think it's cool to leave the big city and go chase the hogs, shoot what you want and then back to your daily life. Ranchers and farmers are left to deal with them and they don't stop their assault on the land and economics involved in ranching and farming. Arguments in abundance are out there for an against having them. The problem if you find a way to drop the numbers to acceptable numbers, that would only last a very short period and the population would rise again quickly. Is the answer the poison route? Still to early to tell or even try, because the long term results may not be what was intended. No magic button' but something has to be done or tried outside of what we are doing now which is not working.

Comment

Nope

Comment

Nope, wouldn't even consider it for a second.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
                            I would say NO. The farmers that complain are the same ones that want $300 a gun for two pigs, or no they dont want any hunting on their property. Dont even start with me about dumb asses and what they might do. There are thousands of us who know what we are doing and could put a serious hurt on the population.
                            Neighbor and I have killed 174 on about 300 acres in one year and haven't made a significant dent. Do you really think someone wanting to come out and "wipe out the pigs" by shooting 2 or three will really make a difference? I would rather charge $1000 dollar then give $10 refund for every pig shot. Otherwise it is just a fee for land use.

AND YES PUSH THE BUTTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Nope. I'd rather have a button that made the guys who like to hunt pigs and the ones who feel oppressed by pigs make a combined effort and fix the issue rather than argue on the internet about it.
                              Last edited by jdg13; 04-17-2019, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Stop feeding corn. There's a reason Texas has such a pig problem, and it ain't the pigs.

Comment

Working...
                                X