Turkey Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    As long as we're on the subject of "Trophy" turkey hunting?

How do you "age" a turkey?
    How much does the beard/spurs grow a year?
    How old are most big toms?
    Where do the multiple beards come in?
    What about spurs? It seems to me the shorter ones are worn down, and the longer are sharper as though they just havn't worn them down...

I've never payed much attention, just curious.

It seems that most of the male birds we have are ~3" beard, or 9"-10".
    I'm not a good turkey age judge. If one has a beard hanging lower than any of the others in the group that's the one I shoot. The biggest one I've killed had 1 1/4 spurs and a 10 1/2" beard if I remember right. That was an old bird I'm guessin.

Comment

No I do not shoot jakes.

I also don't shoot turkeys in the fall. Turkey hunting is for spring time.

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
        I pretty much just rely on the spurs. A 2 YO can have a 10” beard. But look at his spurs and I’m betting they’ll be 3/4-7/8”. There are exceptions to every rule though. I killed one bird I knew was old just by the way he acted and came to the call....and he hardly had any spurs. They were broke off and really just reduced to nubs. Multiple beards are a genetic trait IMO. One place I hunt they are pretty common. Another place you never see one. Again....all of this is just my opinion.

Yup... it’s all about the spurs.. but a nice beard with those is a plus.

Comment

If it gobbles in the spring I’ll choot em.

Comment

I have and would again depending on the time and place I am hunting. When is a jake no longer a jake? Shot a 5” beard a few days ago. Not great spurs 1/2” or so. Ate real good tho. Wild turkey gumbo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Target-panic View Post
              I have and would again depending on the time and place I am hunting. When is a jake no longer a jake? Shot a 5” beard a few days ago. Not great spurs 1/2” or so. Ate real good tho. Wild turkey gumbo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Generally if it has a full fan (Top few feathers not sticking out) it’s not a jake

Comment

Working...
              X