No announcement yet.

Turkey Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No. accidentally shot one two years ago looking into the sun. thought he had a good beard. To me it's like shooting a young buck, he will grow up to be a big bird. Just my preference though. To each his own. I would probably encourage guys on my lease to pass them up so we could all have more mature birds.

Comment

I shot three with three shots once.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

The place I usually hunt every year allows one mature Tom and a Jake. I never shoot the jake but my buddies go after them.

Comment

I passed two up last season. I called them back three time after being within five feet. I said if they come again it on. Their beards were half an inch long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nah....they are next years longbeards. Natural mortality is high amongst them trying to line out their place in the pecking order so I leave them be....and wait in ol’ tommy longbeard to show up

Comment

Jakes, hens (bearded or not) are just to small to kill. Though most hens are very wise and wary like old does and jakes are just dumb when it comes to love.

Preferably a mature 10" + beard and 1"+ spurs get the nod.

Comment

Nope. Can't kill longbeards if you kill them with eggshell on their heads...

Comment

Turkey Question

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
                  The place I usually hunt every year allows one mature Tom and a Jake. I never shoot the jake but my buddies go after them.

That’s an odd bag. Kinda like letting you shoot one trophy deer and any young buck of your choosing. If they passed on the jake killing that naturally should translate to more longbeard opportunity in a perfect world.
                  Last edited by Smart; 04-11-2019, 08:53 PM.

Comment

With a bow yes. Shooting tomorrow’s trophies today. ��

Comment

As long as we're on the subject of "Trophy" turkey hunting?

How do you "age" a turkey?
                      How much does the beard/spurs grow a year?
                      How old are most big toms?
                      Where do the multiple beards come in?
                      What about spurs? It seems to me the shorter ones are worn down, and the longer are sharper as though they just havn't worn them down...

I've never payed much attention, just curious.

It seems that most of the male birds we have are ~3" beard, or 9"-10".

Comment

No, because I choose not to and because it is illegal in the state I hunt

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Depends how late in the season it is and how hard up for some turkey meat I am. I've killed more jakes than toms.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              As long as we're on the subject of "Trophy" turkey hunting?

How do you "age" a turkey?
                              How much does the beard/spurs grow a year?
                              How old are most big toms?
                              Where do the multiple beards come in?
                              What about spurs? It seems to me the shorter ones are worn down, and the longer are sharper as though they just havn't worn them down...

I've never payed much attention, just curious.

It seems that most of the male birds we have are ~3" beard, or 9"-10".
                              I pretty much just rely on the spurs. A 2 YO can have a 10” beard. But look at his spurs and I’m betting they’ll be 3/4-7/8”. There are exceptions to every rule though. I killed one bird I knew was old just by the way he acted and came to the call....and he hardly had any spurs. They were broke off and really just reduced to nubs. Multiple beards are a genetic trait IMO. One place I hunt they are pretty common. Another place you never see one. Again....all of this is just my opinion.
                              Last edited by Passthrough; 04-12-2019, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                                I pretty much just rely on the spurs. A 2 YO can have a 10” beard. But look at his spurs and I’m betting they’ll be 3/4-7/8”. There are exceptions to every rule though. I killed one bird I knew was old just by the way he acted and came to the call....and he hardly had any spurs. They were broke off and really just reduced to nubs. Multiple beards are a genetic trait IMO. One place I hunt they are pretty common. Another place you never see one. Again....all of this is just my opinion.
                                I agree with this and pretty much how I try to age birds. Also concur with mulitbeards being a genetic trait.

Comment

Working...
                                X