Best fish fry recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
    Haven't found anyone who doesn't like fried/baked wahoo steaks yet.

Wahoo steaks - about 2 - 3" thick

Seasoned Flour - whipped egg/cream dip - Seasoned Panko and into hot cast iron skillet with Peanut Oil. Crust them on both sides - middle is raw - pull.

Smother with Pico de Gallo in a baking dish

Mexican trifecta blend cheese on top

Oven @ 375 d for 30 minutes then pull

Serve with an outside crunch - juicy, tender and moist inside.

I'm a big fan of simple fried fish, but you win.

Comment

LOL Me too Clay but after so many years of simple fried fish, there are times you want to fry with a notch up using high quality fish filets.

SEAFOOD LASAGNA

That same fried/baked fish setup, can go with thinner filets. Fish with a broad filet profile where you can stack the fried filets, into a casserole dish in layers. And add shrimp/crawfish/crab meat with cheese layered, as you stack the fried fish filets.

Bottom of casserole dish, lay down and cover with fried fish filets. Flour/dip/Panko and fried in Peanut oil is super crunchy for all of the filets used in this dish.

Then Lay in peeled steamed shrimp tails and steamed peeled crawfish tails, chunks of crab meat and smother with parmesan cheese.

Add another layer of fried filets over the cheese and shell fish

Then stack more shrimp, crawfish and crab meat with cheese

One more layer of panko fried filets

Finish the top with cheese

Toss in the oven at 375 and bake about 40 minutes or so.....watch the cheese till it melts and spreads covering everything below. Like a Lasagna.

Pull and slice like lasagna to serve

It's KILLER!

You can literally use 20 - 22" redfish filets for the fish layers.....fried perfectly. By the time the rest of the ingredients mix with the cheese and soak through the layers of fried redfish filets ....hell you can literally have wooden roof shingles in there and it's edible
      Last edited by AtTheWall; 04-17-2019, 05:36 PM.

Comment

I love fishing but dont particularly like fish. I have tried the mustard thing and its ok, but I can taste the mustard and prefer without. I use Crispy Southern Fish Fry. I like the batter pretty thick so I can barely taste the fish haha

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
          I love fishing but dont particularly like fish. I have tried the mustard thing and its ok, but I can taste the mustard and prefer without. I use Crispy Southern Fish Fry. I like the batter pretty thick so I can barely taste the fish haha
          I am right there with you! I love to fish, hate to clean them, don’t like to cook them and don’t really like eating them but my family does. I usually fish until I am way too hot and tired so cleaning them is a chore and I know I will still have to cook them as well.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
            Spices for both styles....I lean on HEB Coast Blend Seafood Rub. Literally no salt which leaves the salt levels highly adjustable. Many of the Cajun spice blends are too salty IMO. Also roll with Old Bay Seasoning and or Old Bay Blackened and or Old Bay Lemon and Herb spices. Add cayenne pepper for kick and salt to season without overpowering.
            Gonna have to make your fishing trip one of these days. All of them look really good.

Comment

Anyone try this stuff out?
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                Mix yellow mustard with some hot sauce in a bowl to put fillets in.

For batter - Corn meal and instant mashed potatoes !/2 and 1/2. Throw in whatever seasonings you like. I use Cajun Blakes.
                Can we just take a second to get back to the instant mashed taters

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Lots of great ideas here. I hope I can remember to find this thread when I need it,. Could it maybe be moved to "Recipes".

Comment

Cornmeal with some tonys mixed in after milk and egg bath.

Comment

I know nothing about frying fish. Or making Hushpuppies.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                          I know nothing about frying fish. Or making Hushpuppies.

Comment

Haven’t ate fried fish in a while. Was wondering what way to fix fish tonight and this thread solved it.

Comment

Louisiana!

Comment

Garlic poweder
                                onion powder
                                creole seasoning
                                salt
                                pepper

corn meal/flour mix
                                little corn starch

egg wash fish and fry them up.

Comment