No announcement yet.

Teacher Pay raises, Yes or No

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I vote for the 5000 straight to the teachers. I work security for a school and I how much they go through with the kid and the parents. It's well deserved raise.

Comment

Originally posted by ForEverlast View Post
      Teachers are vitally important to our children and their futures they deserve more pay but the state will not fund the local budgets in order to allow for across the board raises without raising local property taxes which no one is in favor of it is hard for a district to make raises work...if they mandate this raise I pray they provide the funding from the state level if not all tax payers will be held responsible for more property tax to cover it...it is truly a double edge sword...
      I serve on our local board and it has really frustrated me how the state handles funding our schools in general when we know the revenue the state has taken in over the last few years due to the eagle ford and many other revenue sources (lottery etc.) and they don't invest it in our people!
      Got to love it. But I'd wager they find millions for some other BS each and every year. Funny how that works. Money seems to be no object until teachers want a raise and then it's we're out of money and must raise taxes LOL

Comment

I'm conflicted. My reservation isn't that I don't think teachers deserve it. I think overall they unarguably do. It's where the money will come from and how money is being spent. If it is simply a matter of reallocating money being spent on stupid crap, by all means give them a heck of a raise. Unfortunately we all know that would not be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
          Got to love it. But I'd wager they find millions for some other BS each and every year. Funny how that works. Money seems to be no object until teachers want a raise and then it's we're out of money and must raise taxes LOL
          I agree they sit up there in the big house and mandate this and that but can't fund simple things like pay raises for our teachers....it is a joke to be honest and very frustrating for local districts as of coarse we want our people taken care of but the state strangle holds us to so many mandated regulations it is very difficult....I hope they fund and pass this for all teachers sake..

Comment

Originally posted by bauce302 View Post
            If you want a job where you get paid accordingly for taking care of humans that are PIA then go be a corrections officer. You are paid to teach, if you dont like it quit. There are other 2.0 GPA students straight out of school lined up to teach our youth.
            That’s just what we need...all of the good teachers quiting because their pay sucks to be replaced by bad ones. Maybe if the pay was better they would retain better teachers and more people would be interested in the job.

Comment

Freakin losers in the house were taught by somebody how to read and write. Yeah, their teachers.... let them fools live on a teachers salary for 3 months and they’ll change their dumb a.. minds.

Comment

IF they were going to see that full $5,000 I would agree with $5,000, BUT they won't so they deserve more than $5,000 - my wife is a 15th year second grade teacher. It is getting BAD in the school system these days. Once you take taxes, increased premiums for a crappy health insurance product, and the additional PROPERTY tax for the ISD to cover these pay increases it will boil down to about $150-$200/month net gain in income on their monthly paychecks. Present something that puts $400-$500/month net income in additional income into the teachers pockets AFTER all of the additional charges that will stem from this and we would be talking deserved numbers at that point. By my calculations the $10,000 number that Dale mentioned is pretty close to where that Gross pay raise would need to be in order to achieve this.

Comment

I have no problem with teachers getting a raise but what about the support staff? Custodians, Cafeteria workers, Maintenance workers, etc. They get nothing as usual.

Comment

I think all teachers no matter the school district need to be paid more money. Teachers deal with so much and play a huge impact on our kids.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

100% yes to the raise but fixing a broken statewide school finance system needs to happen in order to sustain the higher pay.

Comment

I'd vote yes. My Bride teaches 3 grade. It is work!!!! Extra tutoring, training sessions, endless paperwork documenting kids, parent conferences, etc... The insurance is an absolute joke. Yes, she knew what she was getting into and yes, there are some bad teachers. But there are some bad doctors, cops, accountants, game wardens....list goes on. Texas spends stupid money on stadiums etc and leaves their teachers behind.

Comment

My suggestion, give them a raise but first make necessary cuts in districts cost. Eliminate unnecessary assistant, associate principals, counselors and whomever you can do without. In the old days the principal ran the elementary schools, did it all now there are so many non teaching higher paying people at an elementary school it's not funny.

Every taxing entity's first cry is more money. Cut the waste first, then allocate the money to the right places. I was a teacher and around school districts for over 25 years, I know there's waste because I've seen it.

Teachers should be paid a decent living wage, it is truly a labor of love to some extent.
                          My two cents.

Comment

I say yes and freeze the pay for admin. Sups and asst sups are over paid imo... I am afraid they will put the screws to us via taxes but school districts are very good at pissing $$$ away on frivolous bs...

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                              I'm conflicted. My reservation isn't that I don't think teachers deserve it. I think overall they unarguably do. It's where the money will come from and how money is being spent. If it is simply a matter of reallocating money being spent on stupid crap, by all means give them a heck of a raise. Unfortunately we all know that would not be the case.
                              They will never remove their own king off the chess board. Holding teachers and kids hostage to raise taxes is their #1 game.

Like I posted before they always find money for countless expensive things but never for pay raises.

Comment

I say give them $20k and do away with the pension system. Create a 401k type retirement and matching plan.

Comment

Working...
                                X