No announcement yet.

21 y/o son can't find a job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a PM for a general contractor I have seen that the quantity of tradesman needed in the construction industry is suffering such as Plumbers, electricians, framers etc. Construction industry is doing well right now and I bet many companies are willing to train if you have a good work ethic.

Comment

Hell I wasn't even looking and found 2 since this thread opened.

All BS aside, he is 21 and has nothing to lose- what's he like to do?? Start a business and run with it. Do the manual labor himself until he makes enough to hire

Comment

West Texas will put him to work! He'll probably make more than you though, lol

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
          You serious clark???
          At least we have a couple other cousin Eddie fans here at tbh

Comment

Same as a lot above. Find a job at McD's or somewhere while:
            1) trade school
            2) Military
            3) CDL

There are tons of entry level jobs available. Maybe not his dream job but they are available. Went through similar with my daughter AFTER she graduated college.

Comment

Military would be a good choice.

Comment

Originally posted by ateague11 View Post
                As a PM for a general contractor I have seen that the quantity of tradesman needed in the construction industry is suffering such as Plumbers, electricians, framers etc. Construction industry is doing well right now and I bet many companies are willing to train if you have a good work ethic.

This.
                A lot of work out there right now if the kid is trainable, punctual, and has some good references.

Comment

Northwest Lineman College Through training and education, we help thousands have safe and rewarding careers in power delivery. I want Career training My

Sign him up here. 15 week course length, then OJT or company training programs after that. As long as he is not scared of heights, he can learn a trade that will always be in demand. He won't get rich being a lineman, but he dang sure won't starve to death either. Like others have said, he will have to work his way up to journeyman status (4-5 years give or take), but a journeyman lineman makes a pretty fair living, especially when you factor in the OT that comes with the job. Electrical industry has been very good to me and my family, so I always encourage young people to at least give it a look.

For that matter, power line contractors are usually always hiring, no experience needed to start off as a grunt, but you can still work your way up through the company apprenticeship program, all the while looking for an opening at a municipal power company or local co-op.

If he really likes life on the edge, look into helicopter line work companies. Those guys are borderline crazy!

As long as he is dependable, not scared to get a little dirty, and don't mid sweating his nards off in the summer months, he can make a career in this line of work and live a comfortable life.

Comment

Originally posted by TxSpinner View Post
                    I am currently in operations management. I literally cant interview and hire enough people. I probably push through 20-30 interviews a week trying to get people in. My problem is everyone wants to work 8-5 Mon-Fri and make 100k a year.......

Winner winner chicken dinner this is so spot on no one wants to grind from the bottom and work to the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Roads View Post
                      Thanks KyleW that's exactly the direction I'm trying to get him to see.
                      What does he want to do for a living? School probably is not needed.

Comment

I have been having a hard time finding help also, with the unemployment rate as low as it is its slim pickins for employers.

Comment

Originally posted by TxSpinner View Post
                          I am currently in operations management. I literally cant interview and hire enough people. I probably push through 20-30 interviews a week trying to get people in. My problem is everyone wants to work 8-5 Mon-Fri and make 100k a year.......
                          Make it 7-5 Monday-Thursday and I'll take it!

Comment

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
                            Make it 7-5 Monday-Thursday and I'll take it!
                            An another $50K

Comment

Had a similar situation with my youngest (27) for the last 5 years. We finally had to break his plate and send him down the road... ironically, he enrolled himself in Truck driving school last year, now has his CDL and is a long haul truck driver. He's been to every corner of the US and in between.

He's saving $$ and most important, He LOVES it !! He was surprised because he never thought he would like doing something like that. He is a bit of an introvert so it was perfect for him.

He's happy, we're happy and proud... and better still, he has acknowledged and thanked us for providing the "proper motivation" to point him in that direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                                An another $50K
                                I think I could manage to scrape by on 100...

Comment

Working...
                                X