No announcement yet.

21 y/o son can't find a job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School is my vote... I'm 29 and have passed in sallary by a good margin all my no degree buddies...

That said that JUST happened... It was frustrating for a few years there

One exception is my cousin who went to tech school, he runs his own company plugging Wells now and kicks my BUTT.

Comment

Get him working in any capacity possible even if it's not something he's interested in. Get on with a landscape crew, work retail at Academy, anything.

Once you have a job then start looking for the job you want to do long term. On an application or in an interview being able to list current employment is a huge plus and will make him stand out from all the people doing what he is doing right now. Sitting unemployed emailing off applications while living at home with their parents.

Comment

In Deer Park, the only excuse for not working with all the construction around there is that they don't want to work, or can't pass a drug test.

Comment

I have a two shop helper positions open. Entry level with opportunity to advance to something higher paid. Overtime is always available.

Comment

Is he hired yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
              Is he hired yet?
              I think this thread didn't exactly go as planned.

12 hours later he has had 4-5 job offers LOL

So where's he working?

Comment

OP, just tell your son to keep at it. Perseverance pays off.

I graduated HS at 17 years old and jumped straight into the oil industry at a rental tool company. Worked my way to the executive office as the purchasing manager and spent 11 years with them before getting laid off in Jan 2018. I looked for months and applied at literally hundreds of companies that are remotely close to what I did at the old job. Hydraulic work on equipment, pressure testing, purchasing management, and even supervised in AP for TWO companies while it was slow for couple years. None of it really mattered. I was either over qualified or was not specifically what they were looking for.

Some of you may even remember my "looking for work" posts. I had to provide for the family somehow. Got hired on in April 2018 after 3 months of unemployment to a drilling rig manufacturer in Crosby. I was dedicated. Drove 2 hrs one way to work every day. Before i could buy a new home and move, got laid off again. Started the same routine looking for work. Because
                I had already reached an office position from the field, no oil companies wanted to put me in the field and declined other office positions. Even west Texas turned me down. So, 4 months later, I got my class A CDL to cover the bills until something came along. Finally, at 30 years old, im back doing what I'm good at and in a completely new industry. Thanks to another TBH'r I am an estimator for a very large landscaping company in Houston. I'm not making much, but at least there is opportunity for growth. I guess it all paid off in the end, but for a long time, i was wondering if there would ever be any relief.

Its not as easy for somebody already established to find work as it is for a young single man, but perseverance will eventually pay off.

Comment

started wondering why my son was not getting any calls... looked at his online resume and it has nothing in it.. just name, and last job of 3 months. I need to be slapped for thinking he could take care of this.

Comment

Originally posted by 4dog View Post
                    plumbing...people need water and they need to poop...and you dont have to play in the poop.
                    Definitely. My son went to work for a commercial plumbing company a year and a half ago. It's amazing how much he's learned in that time and with all the overtime he does well for a kid his age.

Comment

I had to be housed in the Dow center next to Monument Chevrolet last week and they were interviewing people for an internship for an operator last week. Another option is to go to the local Millwright union, they are usually looking for apprentices.

Comment

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but it's most likely your son, mostly. I day mostly because some employers will start looking at work history. How long has it been since he worked? When he worked, how long did he stay at the job? Those questions come into play when deciding to even give him an interview. Hope that makes sense. I've had to deal with the same issue with my stepson. And I will tell you this, the longer it goes and the older he gets, the harder it's going to be for him to find something. No one wants to hire a 20 or 25 y/o with no or little work history and no education.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Tell him to get in the commercial electrical trade. Demand is already outpacing the supply and it is only going to get worse. He will be able to work anywhere in the US. Any electrical contractor will put on a man willing to work that can show up everyday and show up on time. Showing up everyday and showing up on time and he will already be in the tops 35% of workers. Starting pay beats the fast food joints but he will have to actually work.

Comment

Originally posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
                            Learn a trade. Couple years of school and he'll have NO problem getting a job.

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

a degree is very overrated and yes I have one. There is more money to be made in the trade area (if they are willing to work and get after it) than most degrees will give you. The only difference is they won't be sitting on their butt doing a job and the hours suck at times. I am not knocking folks with degrees, both are needed. But it isn't for everyone. I will say in Texas right now, if he can't find a job well he either don't want to work or can pass the tests. My favorite saying now is, Everyone wants a job till they find one.

Comment

I run a staffing source, mainly in manufacturing. It is a extremely busy out there right now in and around the Houston area.

Comment

Working...
                                X