No announcement yet.

21 y/o son can't find a job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dad made the statement once that "most people are looking for a position instead of a job"

Not saying this is your son's case but most people have to start out in the trenches and work their way up into the better jobs

Back to college, trade school or military would be the options I would give if a job was not acquired in 30 days

Comment

Trade school

Lots of money to be made

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
        Not everyone needs a degree.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

this

Comment

plumbing...people need water and they need to poop...and you dont have to play in the poop.

Comment

Hunger is a hell of a motivator.

Comment

I will hire him today in the Houston area,

Comment

I would encourage him toward a trade school. Seems there are too many folks out there with degrees that don't even pertain to the work they do.
                I am certainly not against college either, but if it were my money being used to go, I would at least try to persuade him to get a degree that will be useful in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
                  Yep
                  Midessa is the way to go, rotational schedules 14-14 or 14-7 base pay is roughly 75k, heck they even have bunkhouses supplied.NO EXPERIENCE NEEDED (just a willingness to work and ok to get dirty).

Comment

You'll have to hear that giant sucking sound before he goes to work.

Comment

I need people in San Antonio, it’s in the car battery industry

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Roads View Post
                        So I've been on my son pretty hard lately to find a job or go back to school. He keeps telling me that he's applied at all these different companies. And has not got one call back for interview. But then I read all these other stories about employers not able to find people to hire. Don't know who to believe.What's the deal.... Ok rant over.... Thanks
                        Does he live in Deer Park? I work in NW Houston, I can get him a job that will make him want to go back to school (metal finishing company).

For what its worth, I have a degree, and am a vet and have applied to about 10 jobs in the state of Washington and have had 0 call backs.... I am trying to get on with an FD up there but need to work in the mean time. If your son is interested in a job let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                          What's kind of job is he applying for.
                          Originally posted by Youngblood View Post
                          Is he Mechanically inclined and close to The Woodlands? If so send me a pm as we are needing help where I work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
                          What background or experience does he have? What schooling would he be interested in?
                          Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
                          I'd like to know as well...my company is hiring for engineers and if he's still in school we hire a lot of summer interns

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                          Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                          Does he have a CDL or wish to obtain one?
                          Originally posted by jsctx84 View Post
                          What are the types of jobs that he is applying for? What is it that he wants/trying to do?
                          Can you answer some of these questions?

If he just needs a job I would wager I can find him one today. Where does he live? If you're in pretty much any city I bet there are 20-100 "Now hiring" signs within 3 miles of your house.

Comment

I feel for you... my 19, soon to be 20 next month son is moving back home from TSTC-Waco this week... he flunked out of welding school down there because he could not get his lazy azz up and go to class.... instead of staying up all night drinking beer and playing xbox.

Told him, this is over.. he goes into the man-pool now and get a job and support himself. Will be interesting to see how this turns out, but he is a horrible work ethic and will be lucky to hold a job if he gets one.

Comment

First thing first, he's 21 aka grown *** man, time to treat him as such.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Roads View Post
                                So I've been on my son pretty hard lately to find a job or go back to school. He keeps telling me that he's applied at all these different companies. And has not got one call back for interview. But then I read all these other stories about employers not able to find people to hire. Don't know who to believe.What's the deal.... Ok rant over.... Thanks
                                Chances are he wants jobs over his skill level and wants to start at 20.00 an hour. Not a put down my oldest is the same way. I always tell him you have start at the bottom and work up. I see help wanted signs everywhere. Might have to get 2 jobs until a good opportunity comes up. Also building a work experience helps get those better jobs, I am involved with hiring and we look at that.

Comment

Working...
                                X