Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any LEO's willing to answer a few questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well this has been a fun post. I'm very appreciative of those that are willing to answer questions and help a guy out. I wasn't expecting to get as many negative PMs as I did. However, I believe this is the path I want to take.

Comment

I've been in 16+, feel free to ask away or send me a PM.

PS - I have really enjoyed my career and would do it again.

Comment

23 years in. When I started, I loved it. Not so much anymore. The job has changed. Attitudes toward LEOs have gone downhill. Fortunately I work at an agency that pays well, which is the only reason I’m still in it. Don’t know how much longer I can handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by TxSpinner View Post
          Well this has been a fun post. I'm very appreciative of those that are willing to answer questions and help a guy out. I wasn't expecting to get as many negative PMs as I did. However, I believe this is the path I want to take.
          Well whatever you decide, I appreciate it. Having 2 sons that have/do serve in the military(not LE,I know), I do have a new found respect for what yall do. Thanx

Comment

All jokes aside 19 yrs, 12 on patrol, last 7 in Defectives : ) Mid size department of about 180 sworn officers. PM me if you have questions about anything. Best of luck in your chosen field.

Comment

First couple years suck as you get experience and gain knowledge. However, this is the building block of the career. You will have terrible days off for a couple years before you gain seniority. I would encourage you to try and get on a medium to large department/office. If you can deal with politics you will be fine. I really enjoy the county. Lots of opportunity, detention, patrol, CID and many different task force opportunities as well. I have been part of a task force for the last couple years and have had a blast doing proactive investigations. Made many good fed, state and local contacts and have had the chance to work all over the houston metro area and training all over the United States. Things have changed over the years and a couple bad apples make a lot of people question the police. Do what is right and don't lie, keep you integrity and you will be good.

Comment

18 years in March, 15 years in patrol with 14 of those years being in our Traffic Division last 8 on a motorcycle. As stated it has changed and sometimes feels like spinning our wheels. You have to decide what’s good for you and yours. There will always be negative about the police and everything because some people just can’t stand someone else in charge. Where are you located and which department are you looking to join? I’m with the Harris County Sheriff’s Office here in Houston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you everyone! I'm currently north of Dallas so starting my search in that area. Seems to be a lot of Departments hiring. More or less just worried about the background check but may as well try.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
                    All jokes aside 19 yrs, 12 on patrol, last 7 in Defectives : ) Mid size department of about 180 sworn officers. PM me if you have questions about anything. Best of luck in your chosen field.

I wouldn't trust this guy he already pulled a fast one on me today.

Comment

Originally posted by popo1984 View Post
                      Can’t trust this one either...once watched him stare in awe a a real live Texas Ranger... he got all giddy...sort of disconcerting

Drinks ITC water also and says “nothing to worry about”

I’m 26 years in...they haven’t caught onto me yet.

Comment

It can be a rewarding job. Try and do some ride alongs. It’s a 80-90% repetitive grind on patrol, answering calls, dealing with the same problem people, taking reports etc. Then you get the more serious calls in progress that spike the heart rate....followed by the repetitive stuff. The right agency will make or break you. Find one that has opportunities, where you can switch things up every 5-6 years or at least have the chance to apply to different positions. Smaller agencies guys get the good jobs and they are there until retirement. Look at what agencies pay, but also seriously look at retirement, days off, shift schedules, and Departement turn over rates.

Also look HARD at the community you’ll be policing if it’s not your own. There’s a difference of work from say Allen PD and Dallas PD and a place like Sherman. Civil Service Department vs an At Will agency.

I don’t hate the job, but there have been days and weeks I didn’t like it. Lol, good luck. Only you can decide if it’s for you or not.

Comment

One thing you better know up front. As the cities become more liberal and all is lost, so can go your retirement and benefits. Its happening in other states but it gets no attention.

And, if you ever get to the point where you do the wrong thing as a servant to the public as ordered by the political plants above you because you are worried about your paycheck, promotion, performance reports, or pension...You have become morally bankrupt.

Let me explain what that means: If you don’t take care of the homeless man crapping in front of that five year old girl because you feel they are too nasty to deal with or your political plants don’t want you messing with them, you’ll have a special place in hell.

Goodluck, I wish you well.
                          Last edited by Johnny44; 04-01-2019, 10:15 PM.

Comment

I will answer questions in the open or PM me for private.

In my 36th year so seen quite a bit including changes over the years... or is it the decades....

Comment

I've been in just over 16 years and most days I love it. The other days I absolutely hate it. There's no in between. Feel free to PM me too. I'll talk you out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by popo1984 View Post
                                Heck I stopped it before you got to the parents

Comment

Working...
                                X